Prediction 2024 Expectations Thread (with poll!!!)

Where we will finish at the end of the 2024 minor round?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
We're just a couple of weeks from the 2024 season so I am interested to hear everyone's expectations for the season ahead.

Will we continue to improve?
Will we make the finish?
Will Nicks get extended?

For me I think we'll improve and finish somewhere around 5th-6th at the end of the minor round. I suspect we'll look back and rue a couple of games that we could have potentially won that would have gotten us in the top 4.

My prediction for Matthew Nicks is that he'll be given a 2 year extension after the mid season bye.

I think a lot depends on how well Tex continues to hold his 2023 form. If he falls away rapidly, then a lot more responsibility will fall on Fog & TT to pick up the slack. If that happens, then we could miss the finals entirely. On the other hand, if he stays strong, then almost anything is possible.

Given that we only missed finals because of Mr Magoo, we should make the finals in 2024 if Tex doesn't age out.

I think a lot depends on how well Tex continues to hold his 2023 form. If he falls away rapidly, then a lot more responsibility will fall on Fog & TT to pick up the slack. If that happens, then we could miss the finals entirely. On the other hand, if he stays strong, then almost anything is possible.

Given that we only missed finals because of Mr Magoo, we should make the finals in 2024 if Tex doesn't age out.
I still can't believe he didn't take that upstairs for review. He was 100% sure.

Another big question mark will be how well our forward line performs post James Rahilly.

He's definitely left some big shoes to fill.

I think we continue to improve

I think we finish around 6th

Nicks resigned before Gather round

Tough opening to season - but the comp is pretty even so that’s to be expected. Winning round 1 will make us a lock

I definitely feel very similar about Round 1, I think winning would be a massive springboard for the season.

I'm bullish. We will be better in the midfield with Rankine running through there and Pedlar spending more time there so we will improve our output and with Thilthorpe looking like he is ready to step up, we will carry a big attacking threat again.

Just need the key backs to stand up as with our mid sizes defenders and small defenders we are well covered. Convert some close losses to wins this year and its top 4 baby

We haven't got the easiest draw but I'm expecting we will win a few extra games compared to last year. A number of close losses last year, should turn some of those into wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we continue to improve

I think we finish around 6th

Nicks resigned before Gather round

Tough opening to season - but the comp is pretty even so that’s to be expected. Winning round 1 will make us a lock
I also have us finishing 6th in ladder prediction thread... at the end of the minor round. Reckon we may make losing preliminary final.

Reckon we will improve winning more close games, which will be the difference to making the finals.

Still be some inconsistency with young group, but better than last season. Hopefully smaller periods where the opposition get a run on against us.

Nicks to be re-signed around mid-season when it appears we are in a good position to return to finals.

Here is my rebuild tracker, with ladder position on the y axis and years after bottoming out on the x axis

1709018469523.png

The blue line is Adelaide currently, the green dashed line is the average rebuild

Taken from this data, which looks at rebuilds where the team starts around bottom 4, and goes either to today, to a flag, or to the point where there's another rebuild

Accounting for only the rebuilds that have actually ended in finals

1709018610692.png

This shows that rebuilds that make finals typically take 5 years after bottoming out to make finals. Then there's a plateau around the mark of finals (bottom part of the eight) to establish the side. Pushing into the upper part of the ladder and winning a flag takes around a decade

Based on the typical path of a rebuilding team that's just finished 10th, the year after we should improve slightly with no guarantee of finals. Somewhere around 8th or 9th makes sense

Last edited:
I really hope we improve and will be watching keenly each week.

I think we're relying on some key young players to really take a big step this year and if recent history is anything to go by, it's not highly likely that this happens.

Our backline faces yet another season of inexperience with Murray out.

If Tex falls off, I'm not sure either TT and fog will be a substitute.

Our midfield may be a positive though given the early signs of Rankine in there with Dawson.

If I had to guess it would be just missing finals and serious questions on nicks (and development staff). I like him, but that would be a fail imo and he's had a fair chance.

One thing I agree with some of the so called 'experts' is that if we are to rise up the ladder, we need to be better defensively.

For me, that's not necessarily the back six, more so the midfield's ability to stop the opposition mids once they get a roll on.

Team defence, pressure on the ball, will determine how far we go.

We will score with ease if these things happen consistently and will be recognised as the best forward half in the comp.

If we do these things well I think we can finish too four, with our draw.

Shock a few teams early and ride the wave of momentum

I went 3&4th cuz in my book we made the finals last year. Stupid freaking blind goal magoo our list is really strong now so no reason not to continue improving.
Nicks to be re-signed at the break.

Back