Prediction 2024 Expectations Thread (with poll!!!)

Where we will finish at the end of the 2024 minor round?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

our success or failure will largely depend on:

1. Sig, Rachelle, Izak and Pedlar playing more midfield minutes and not burning out 2nd half of the season.

2. Our back half standing up and growing as a defensive unit.

One thing I agree with some of the so called 'experts' is that if we are to rise up the ladder, we need to be better defensively.

For me, that's not necessarily the back six, more so the midfield's ability to stop the opposition mids once they get a roll on.

Team defence, pressure on the ball, will determine how far we go.

We will score with ease if these things happen consistently and will be recognised as the best forward half in the comp.

If we do these things well I think we can finish too four, with our draw.

Shock a few teams early and ride the wave of momentum

I agree, i was thinking it’d be great if Butts had a breakout year but looking through some of the games last year there arent too many big forwards kicking bags against us. Just gotta (curb? curve?) those momentum swings..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The first 6 weeks are crucial for us, all against clubs either around or above us last year.
I would expect us to be 3-3 at the very least.

I think having that extra home game against Melbourne for GR should get us to hopefully a 13-14 win season.

10/13 home games need (1 is GR, 1 is Port Away)
4/10 away games win - Hawks at the G, North in Tas, Freo at OS and 1 more, perhaps Essendon at Marvel? They play like the 2000 Bombers against us for some reason, I dont understand it.

Expect/predict/want-or-hope ...

I expect that they'll play Sloaney asap. I predict that he's more over-the-hill than 2023. I hope not.

I expect that with another year of Burgo behind them the whole team will be fitter, know each other better and play better than last year, especially when ahead (foot on the throat, please). I hope so.

I hope that Tex has another great year.
I want them to win those close games and to thrash PA. Especially in a Final! :D

I expect they'll renew Nicks at some stage during the season. If we finish worse than last year, I want him sacked. I hope he takes them further than last year.

I'm hoping for Top 4 this year. I expect at least FINALS.
More than anything I want a Flag; this year would be great.

Last edited:
Expect/predict/want-or-hope ...

I expect that they'll play Sloaney asap. I predict that he's more over-the-hill than 2023. I hope not.

I expect that with another year of Burgo behind them the whole team will be fitter, know each other better and play better than last year, especially when ahead (foot on the throat, please). I hope so.

I hope that Tex has another great year.
I want them to win those close games and to thrash PA. Especially in a Final! :D

I expect they'll renew Nicks at some stage during the season. If we finish worse than last year, I want him sacked. I hope he takes them further than last year.

I'm hoping for Top 4 this year. I expect at least FINALS.
More than anything I want a Flag; this year would be great.

Sloane's selection is now an interesting watch. Won't have played trial games and doesn't look like he's progressing towards round 1 selection. There's no SANFL games till round 3, so if he hasn't played by then, SANFL tune up becomes a viable option.

In terms of prediction, in a vacuum, I'd see us finishing somewhere between 5th and 8th. But it's hard because there's probably about 10 clubs who could fill those 4 spots. But I think the incline of our age/experience profile sees us among the most likely of that large group.

Just for fun, I'll throw in my Port prediction, who I think are near certain top 4 finishers. Wines apparently a full preseason and reckon he'll compliment Butters and Rozee, plus JHF in his 3rd year, 2nd unhampered. Reckon their forward line won't be worse and their backline better. Ruck not too sure about.

Qualify for Finals is the pass mark for me.

Six years out of the Finals is long enough, and failure to make it this year after being so close last year is a backward step. Which will undo a lot of the good work done in this rebuild.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sloane's selection is now an interesting watch. Won't have played trial games and doesn't look like he's progressing towards round 1 selection. There's no SANFL games till round 3, so if he hasn't played by then, SANFL tune up becomes a viable option.

In terms of prediction, in a vacuum, I'd see us finishing somewhere between 5th and 8th. But it's hard because there's probably about 10 clubs who could fill those 4 spots. But I think the incline of our age/experience profile sees us among the most likely of that large group.

Just for fun, I'll throw in my Port prediction, who I think are near certain top 4 finishers. Wines apparently a full preseason and reckon he'll compliment Butters and Rozee, plus JHF in his 3rd year, 2nd unhampered. Reckon their forward line won't be worse and their backline better. Ruck not too sure about.
Port will finish top 4 easily. Their list is pretty good. One of the best midfields in the game.

Their issue is in September, when the better coached teams come out to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect close losses

I expect we will 'kick' ourselves out of multiple winning games again

I expect Rankine to get his first AA jacket

I expect our backline to again be a weak link this year but hold up OK

I expect Sloane to get gifted a farewell game late in season

I hope Tex has another brilliant season

I expect Pedlar/Rachelle/Soligo to all have at least one BOG game

Port will finish top 4 easily. Their list is pretty good. One of the best midfields in the game.

midfield very strong but gaps elsewhere

not convinced they have solved their defensive issues with personnel or game plan

they will always be flakey under Ken as their game plan lacks real backbone

they are also 1-2 midfield injuries from finishing bottom 8

finals is a must for 2024

Pies, Lions and Giants look strong however throw a blanket over the next 8-10 teams

our key will be the ability of Rachelle, Izak, Sug and Pedlar being able to push into our midfield and being able to go strong from an entire season. We don’t want to be forcing more midfield minutes into the likes of Keays and Sloane late in the year because the young brigade have hit the wall.

A top 3 brownlow season from Dawson would be handy as well

I haven’t really looked at our 2024 draw in detail, but gut feel is that we’re of a similar trajectory between 2014 and 2015. Where we showed continued form with each passing year up until 2017, with the Grand Final appearance.

Tex is a crucial point of optimism/doubt, but we have a lot more players who are likely to improve, so hopefully should compensate in the foreseeable future when Tex is retiring.

I guess a Finals appearance would be a good start, anywhere between 5th to 8th would be our main objective. Anything else better would be an unbelievable rise, and would give me a rise too!

Yeah look I love Sloaney but like many before him he's just not accepting that his days are numbered, based on injuries, form and age. The extension was unwarranted imo.
In terms of prediction, in a vacuum, I'd see us finishing somewhere between 5th and 8th.
I was thinking similarly. If we have a good run with injuries finals are a minimum.
But it's hard because there's probably about 10 clubs who could fill those 4 spots. But I think the incline of our age/experience profile sees us among the most likely of that large group.
I agree. It's now a matter of how well the group gels and works together for each other.
If Nicks has had long-term vision and planning (I think his patience has been remarkable), this year should see the results of that.
Ordinarily, I try to be balanced and objective, but when it comes to PA my bias is irrational and vitriolic.
I want us to beat them every time we play --- a close win can be thrilling but a crushing is so much more satisfying. I respect Butters for his ability and demeanour but he's PA which makes him an enemy.
I despise the showpony Rozee and the conniving/disloyal, self-aggrandising JHF.
I don't give a Blighty tossbag for their forwards/backline/ruck and hope every week for their demise and long-term failure.

As with most clubs how we fare with injuries will be crucial. Losing Tex or Dawson for extended periods will result in missing finals.

A good or average run injury wise should see us reach the lower half of the top 8.

Unfortunately Nicks will be resigned too early in typical AFC fashion.

I expect close losses

I expect we will 'kick' ourselves out of multiple winning games again

I expect Rankine to get his first AA jacket

I expect our backline to again be a weak link this year but hold up OK

I expect Sloane to get gifted a farewell game late in season

I hope Tex has another brilliant season

I expect Pedlar/Rachelle/Soligo to all have at least one BOG game

I honestly can't see Sloane toiling away in the SANFL outside of a single/half game tune up. Can't see a late season farewell game, if it's called, it'll be as soon as they're forced to drop him.

midfield very strong but gaps elsewhere

not convinced they have solved their defensive issues with personnel or game plan

they will always be flakey under Ken as their game plan lacks real backbone

they are also 1-2 midfield injuries from finishing bottom 8

How many clubs you reckon won't struggle after losing 2 of their 4 key mids?

Fantastic midfield, but massive holes all over the park. I don't see them as a premiership threat and would expect they won't make the top 4 either.

Back