No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko needs at least until the end of 2025 before any assessment can be made.
2023 was the Hawthorn saga which he was dragged into.
2024 we lost Goldstein, McKay and Logue to a long term injury and our Senior players have gone missing.
2025 will be the season upon which Clarko can be judged.

This was a statement made on the North Board

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think it's fair enough for a coach to be judged at the end of 3 years when they're coming into a bottom team.
Can't laugh over the Shinbeggers wanting their coach to have 3 years, when we're in the same boat of being rubbish.
Not withstanding the handouts they're getting making a difference. By the end of next season, I'm wanting metrics in our team to be trending up too. Still bottom 2-3 at end of next year, the coach might get one more year with very clear "Need to be better as a team or your gone" (With Caveats on injury) - that applies to North as well as us imho.

Bodies have to mature and importantly, players need matches together to build cohesion. Your Core players + Spine need to be the same to improve.

GWS are great to watch and hope they go all the way this year. Took a while to cover loss of Cameron but now they are very much up and running.
Yesterday was what the GF would have been last year if GWS had gotten over Pies.
Theme song is the best by far.
Such a great side to watch- hard and tough defensively then they punish you the other way with the orange tsunami - hope they can do it on the big stage in September - the question will be whether they can beat a Victorian side at the G…

He’s struggled at port - had high hopes for him here- thought he could develop into a midfielder/forward of centre player- but has really stalled, just looks like a run of the mill back flanker over there…
Burton looked good when Hodge was standing next to him telling him what to do. When Hodge left, he looked average, which is why we were happy to punt him.

(Witherden was another who looked a lot better with Hodge next to him)

I think it's fair enough for a coach to be judged at the end of 3 years when they're coming into a bottom team.
Can't laugh over the Shinbeggers wanting their coach to have 3 years, when we're in the same boat of being rubbish.
Not withstanding the handouts they're getting making a difference. By the end of next season, I'm wanting metrics in our team to be trending up too. Still bottom 2-3 at end of next year, the coach might get one more year with very clear "Need to be better as a team or your gone" (With Caveats on injury) - that applies to North as well as us imho.

Bodies have to mature and importantly, players need matches together to build cohesion. Your Core players + Spine need to be the same to improve.
When you compare the draft access comparatively
There is no comparison

You can see our trajectory, you cant see North's currently

Norths injury list is 2 best 22 players, and thats a stretch

We currently have 5 at worst

Seems you used the statements as an opportunity to pot Mitchell

North are in a financial and football hole that is their own doing

Amen. It's exactly what I've been thinking about for several years.

Conor Stone. He was pick 15 in the 2020 draft. I remember his performance against Geelong in that 2021 semi-final. I thought he would be a stud for them by now. He has unfortunately endured a horror injury run with his hamstrings. He seems to be a good player in the making. I'm sure he'll get games at some point this season, but can the Giants give him that time?

He seems to be performing very well in the VFL to start the season. I believe he is out of contract at the end of the season.
He is regarded as a strong (physically strong as well), natural leader. He's got great smarts inside 50 and isn't afraid to chase after an opponent, tackle them, and win the ball. He is studying Commerce at UNSW, which may unfortunately stop him from transferring (but surely we could get him into Melbourne or Monash 😉). With Jack Gunston potentially retiring after this season, at 189cm with a great physique built to take the arduous physical toll of the game, he could be a really good taller option to assist Mitchell Lewis up forward and whoever his long-term key forward partner will be (hopefully Chol, could be Weddle for all we know). Averaging 17 disposals, 2.667 goals, and 4.3 marks to start the season.
Theirs a list of 10-12 in the 18-24 range we should be asking questions of. They have so much talent they will keep banking new talent as clubs trade with them. Their war chest is talent and a seemingly bottomless wallet.

When you compare the draft access comparatively
There is no comparison

You can see our trajectory, you cant see North's currently

Norths injury list is 2 best 22 players, and thats a stretch

We currently have 5 at worst

Seems you used the statements as an opportunity to pot Mitchell

North are in a financial and football hole that is their own doing

You're making an assumption. I'm Not potting Mitchell at all. It's incumbent on those in charge at the club to set goals and have a vision. How long do you give someone in charge to see things moving in that direction? Whether it's Mitchell, Clarko, Jeans, Kennedy doesn't really matter.

Being cognisant that there are always going to be an outlier of a season, at some stage, people have to move/be moved on - especially if you're in the bottom part of the ladder consistently. How long are YOU giving a coach? How long does Yze get? How long does Lyon get? How long does Dimma get at GC if they stay anchored mid/low table?

I can make assumptions on your comment that you're a generic internet troll and Hawthorn can do no wrong and anyone making a comment is bad.

Whilst it's too soon to comment about this year, if we finish (16th?) again, what needs to change if we finish in the same again next year? I think Mitchells contract is up at the end of 2025, if we finish bottom 3 again, would you extend him?

All of which doesn't matter when it comes to North, i'm just saying all coaches are in the same boat, especially if you're not in the finals. Clubs need a level of stability for a period of time.

You're making an assumption. I'm Not potting Mitchell at all. It's incumbent on those in charge at the club to set goals and have a vision. How long do you give someone in charge to see things moving in that direction? Whether it's Mitchell, Clarko, Jeans, Kennedy doesn't really matter.

Being cognisant that there are always going to be an outlier of a season, at some stage, people have to move/be moved on - especially if you're in the bottom part of the ladder consistently. How long are YOU giving a coach? How long does Yze get? How long does Lyon get? How long does Dimma get at GC if they stay anchored mid/low table?

I can make assumptions on your comment that you're a generic internet troll and Hawthorn can do no wrong and anyone making a comment is bad.

Whilst it's too soon to comment about this year, if we finish (16th?) again, what needs to change if we finish in the same again next year? I think Mitchells contract is up at the end of 2025, if we finish bottom 3 again, would you extend him?

All of which doesn't matter when it comes to North, i'm just saying all coaches are in the same boat, especially if you're not in the finals. Clubs need a level of stability for a period of time.
Are you making an assumption that those at the club are not happy with the current direction and that they haven't seen development through Mitchell's tenure

You can make that assumption, no issue, but im content in my own opinions to not get upset when someone disagrees with me. My reaction score would show comparatively that its not an issue.

All coaches arn't being paid 50% of the soft cap

I don't want to be political.

But you did it anyway.

ANZAC Day is about remembering those who died. During war.

It's not about football, or the other nonsense that has been attached to the day.

Protesters are a disgrace?

If you think so, that's your opinion to share. But it has nothing to do with AFL, or with ANZAC Day.

But based on your post you clearly don't understand what disgrace actually means.

I tend to agree.

The arrival of Clarko at North + the assistance package has people queuing up to take potshots at them.
Understandable, but it does mean wading through a torrent of nuffie comments which conveniently ignore the fact that we received better (though fewer) priority picks ourselves - pick 1 in 2004 and pick 3 in 2005. Worse still, the focus on North ignores the real elephant in the room - all the massive ongoing concessions to the AFL clubs (Sydney, GC, GWS and Brisbane). For every 1 Shinbegger post, there should be 100 posts on the "Academy" rort.

Re Clarko / Sam ... I don't think our situation is that much different to North, and I can't think why the same standards wouldn't apply to both clubs, and their respective coaches.

Personally, I think we'll make the eight 1 or 2 years before North, so I think Sam is safer in his position. But given the lists at GWS, Sydney, Brisbane and particularly GC, I'm not sure either coach gets anywhere near a proper run at a flag - regardless of a bagful of 2nd round priority picks.

The arrival of Clarko at North + the assistance package has people queuing up to take potshots at them.
Understandable, but it does mean wading through a torrent of nuffie comments which conveniently ignore the fact that we received better (though fewer) priority picks ourselves - pick 1 in 2004 and pick 3 in 2005. Worse still, the focus on North ignores the real elephant in the room - all the massive ongoing concessions to the AFL clubs (Sydney, GC, GWS and Brisbane). For every 1 Shinbegger post, there should be 100 posts on the "Academy" rort.
*pick 2 in 2004.

Also in both years we already had pick 2 and pick 3 as our natural first round pick before any priority pick was added. So while yes, the history book says the priority picks came up at selection 2 (2004) and 3 (2005), the assistance to the club was really pick 5 and 6 respectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you did it anyway.

ANZAC Day is about remembering those who died. During war.

It's not about football, or the other nonsense that has been attached to the day.

Protesters are a disgrace?

If you think so, that's your opinion to share. But it has nothing to do with AFL, or with ANZAC Day.

But based on your post you clearly don't understand what disgrace actually means.
No, disgraceful is a fair description, I would argue even kind.

/dɪsˈɡreɪs/
noun
1. loss of reputation or respect as the result of a dishonourable action.

Are you making an assumption that those at the club are not happy with the current direction and that they haven't seen development through Mitchell's tenure

You can make that assumption, no issue, but im content in my own opinions to not get upset when someone disagrees with me. My reaction score would show comparatively that its not an issue.

All coaches arn't being paid 50% of the soft cap
Where the heck have i said i'm not happy? I made a comment that clubs (including ours) need to give coaches time.
You've then assumed i'm potting Mitchell.

Re Clarko / Sam ... I don't think our situation is that much different to North, and I can't think why the same standards wouldn't apply to both clubs, and their respective coaches.
Exactly. Outside interference really doesn't change where we are on the ladder - albeit academy, priority picks and the magical compo picks may make it harder for us to draft the talent we might want.

We all want our club back in the finals, but to get there is going to require competitiveness, strategy and ability to execute a gameplan. You'd better believe if our revenue plummets, I'd be wanting to know how long those in charge stay in charge if it flatlines and stays low. New people coming into an org need time for changes to take effect. You get wriggle room, but you don't get an eternity. (And, if anyone cares, I figured 5 years minimum to make the 8 from when Mitchell took over)

I kind of agree with you.
With all the handouts, concessions, draft pick leg ups these expansion teams get, I wonder when we will ever get a sniff of a flag again.
We will of course but jeez it seems a long way away.
GWS are the probably the best of the expansion clubs in terms of likability, so it could be worse I suppose.

At least GWS try to stand on their own two feet.

Their location is about as anti-AFL as you could get, being in West Sydney, and it's a tough gig being their marketing team I reckon.

However, their Marketing staff really do try their best.

Round 1 saw the distribution of those orange hi-vis vests to home fans for free and I reckon they looked great on the TV.

They got sponsor Harvey Norman to pay for them.

Last round Vs Brisbane they went with the Tom Green Fan Club as the promo for getting new members.

If you weren't a current member then $25 got you a match ticket in the Tom Green Marquee plus a Pie and a beer. Not bad for $25.

You had to stay in the enclosure, where Giants marketing team members tried to sign you up for a three-game membership (or longer if possible).

Look they may have only signed up 5 new people, but for the cost of a Beer and a Pie, it works out as bang for their buck.

At least they are trying to stand on their own two feet, is all I'm trying to say.

They've put more effort into the Tom Green Marquee than the shinbeggars have all season. As for those parasites up on the Gold Coast, don't get me started.

Reckon they are going OK the GWS marketting mob.

2c

Thoughts on Harley Reid having some time back in Victoria?

Personally - I think it's a good idea. Young, well away from family, been carrying the hopes of a team. Have a break son, go back see your family, then back you come. Show's a level of care for him to get away from it all imo.
Yeah it's a good thing. Mind you being back in Perth yesterday hard to miss that the whole town is deflated he wont suit up this week. He really is the messiah over there.
He should buy some real estate when back in Vic, just for the shits and giggles...

Yeah it's a good thing. Mind you being back in Perth yesterday hard to miss that the whole town is deflated he wont suit up this week. He really is the messiah over there.
He should buy some real estate when back in Vic, just for the shits and giggles...

It seems to be a good time to get some reverse sea/tree change bargains

The inevitable draw debate rolls on...

As a bit of a traditionalist, I'm happy for it to remain as is BUT, if they were to introduce something to get a result, the only thing that would be exciting would be a golden point. Ball it up at the centre and let both teams throw everything at it to get one final score on the board and win the game.

The extended 5 minutes each way is zzzzzzzz particularly when both teams are out on their feet. Reckon golden point would be a pretty thrilling way to end a game and some pretty fascinating tactics as well.

As a bit of a traditionalist, I'm happy for it to remain as is BUT, if they were to introduce something to get a result, the only thing that would be exciting would be a golden point. Ball it up at the centre and let both teams throw everything at it to get one final score on the board and win the game.

The extended 5 minutes each way is zzzzzzzz particularly when both teams are out on their feet. Reckon golden point would be a pretty thrilling way to end a game and some pretty fascinating tactics as well.
Golden goal would be more fun I reckon. But either way - pure entertainment.

Golden Goal/Point, and the umpire bounces it in the middle (and not up straight) and heavily favours one team but not quite out of the circle, the ball is kicked forward (at Docklands) from inside the centre square and is punched through for a point or kicked through from the goal square. The defending team doesn't get an even chance.
No thanks, the ball is oval, the umpires are inept, for me it's either a draw or extra time with 5 minutes each way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back