Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would've thought Wingard getting back on the senior list was the original plan all along.

Rookie listed players can't go on the LTI, can they? They're already not on the senior list.

This way we can now move Wingard to the LTI until he is fit and give us the ability to sign Ethan Phillips as SSP.
Has it been confirmed anywhere that we can still sign Phillips as an SPP? A mature-age KPD feels like a must have.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Has it been confirmed anywhere that we can still sign Phillips as an SPP? A mature-age KPD feels like a must have.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
We can not.

The LTI allows a cat B rookie to play and rules the injured player out for at least 8 weeks (will be Chad)
To get a SSP or mid season pick a player has to retire or be injured for the remainder of the season (Max Lynch last season)

We can not.

The LTI allows a cat B rookie to play and rules the injured player out for at least 8 weeks (will be Chad)
To get a SSP or mid season pick a player has to retire or be injured for the remainder of the season (Max Lynch last season)
Guess that means we'll have to wait and see until MSD - if at all.

We can not.

I thought list sizes were set to a maximum of 38 on primary list but 44 in total? so therefor a maximum of 6 rookies including their Cat B?

I have them at 43 including Bennetts? Someone else want to have a look at that?

I have 37 primary, 5 Cat A rookies and 1 Cat B?

EDIT: believe it would mean that Phillips would need to be a Cat B which he wouldnt be...play on

We can not.

Have final list changes been made? Can we still delist players to make space or is that now complete?

I would've thought Wingard getting back on the senior list was the original plan all along.

Rookie listed players can't go on the LTI, can they? They're already not on the senior list.

This way we can now move Wingard to the LTI until he is fit and give us the ability to sign Ethan Phillips as SSP.
It is almost like they know what they are doing.

Yeah , I think right across the board no team can match an academy bid if it is in the top 10. Also change the qualification process as it was ridiculous that MacKenzie was a Saints NGA

I mean, yes. But we wouldn't have Cam Mackenzie if matching bids were still a thing.

It's just ridiculous to me that the Northern states aren't affected by it. Gold Coast getting 4 in the first round is absurd. Should be allowed to nominate 2 players maxiumum and the rest are fair game.

4 tweaks for mine, for both F/S and academies:
You can only use 2 picks to match a bid in any round. The rest of the points come off future picks from the same round as the bid.
You can only match as many 1st round picks as you have/used 1st round picks (ie no trading out of the first round, but you could trade back.)
Same for matchingRd 2, but can only match up to the same total of Rd1/2 picks you have/used.
NGAs ok in the second round instead of pick 40.
You can’t have more picks than list spots, even during the draft

We’d have been ok matching McCabe because we kept and used a Rd 1 pick.
But we wouldn’t have been able to draft Jiath because we only had 1 x Rd 1 Or Rd 2 picks. We’d have needed to keep a rd2 pick.

GWS added a kid as a category B rookie out of the league I play in. I'm 34 next year, but maybe there's still a chance?!

Geelong a chance next year with their youth policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NGA players are a waste of time and resources if you can't draft them

Tew Jiath was introduced to the AFL system, culture and training regimes by us. It is beyond ridiculous we couldn't draft him
I was under the impression that we had the right to matvh a bid providing that it came after pick 30. Is that incorrect?

So in summary we turned - 5, 44, 47, 49, 62, 63

Into:
Watson
McCabe
Ryan
Dear
2x F4's
Season 9 Premiere GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not very appealing...

You wouldn't like being one of the few on the list who needs a mouthguard rather than just taking his falsies out?

10 out of 22 rookie selections relistings. It’s all farcical now let’s see if the clubs actually do anything about it they are the only ones who have any chance to effect change. Unless we all stopped watching of course but there’s little to no likelihood of that.
I'm in favour of relistings. There's been talk in the past of lifting the draft age etc. I dont think that's necessary, but recruiting less 18yo and more 20-24yo (even if it means rookie recycling) i think is a good thing.

I thought list sizes were set to a maximum of 38 on primary list but 44 in total? so therefor a maximum of 6 rookies including their Cat B?

I have them at 43 including Bennetts? Someone else want to have a look at that?

I have 37 primary, 5 Cat A rookies and 1 Cat B?

EDIT: believe it would mean that Phillips would need to be a Cat B which he wouldnt be...play on
From my understanding the Cat B rookies are counted in the total list size but are not counted as part of the six allowed rookies - they're separate.
So, for example you can have a minimum 36 on your main list, six Cat A rookies and two Cat B rookies. 44 in total.

We have
37 on primary list
5 Cat A rookies
1 Cat B rookie.

That's 43 in total and room for a sixth Cat A rookie. Even if I'm not right (pretty sure I am), we can elevate a rookie onto our primary list where we have one spot left which will leave us with 5 Cat A&B combined.

Either way, if we want Phillips we can get him.

From my understanding the Cat B rookies are counted in the total list size but are not counted as part of the six allowed rookies - they're separate.
So, for example you can have a minimum 36 on your main list, six Cat A rookies and two Cat B rookies. 44 in total.

We have
37 on primary list
5 Cat A rookies
1 Cat B rookie.

That's 43 in total and room for a sixth Cat A rookie. Even if I'm not right (pretty sure I am), we can elevate a rookie onto our primary list where we have one spot left which will leave us with 5 Cat A&B combined.

We have a full list except for 1 cat B spot.

The Phillips ship has sailed outside of an injury between now and Feb 19. He also won’t be able to train with us during that time as we don’t have a free list spot.

This graphic from the AFL rules shows it.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpeg
    IMG_1194.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 86

We have
37 on primary list
5 Cat A rookies
1 Cat B rookie.

I think the max for senior and Cat A rookies is 42..from 36 and 6 to 38 and 4, but not more than 42.

We haven'tgot room for a 6th Cat A as I understand it

Back