Hawthorn AGM 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

This might be recency bias or a lack of knowledge about other clubs, but are we doing an ordinary job of keeping club legends on side/in the fold compared to others?

Don obviously a different cat but a club legend and causing trouble. Greene the same.

Ayres/Plough/Rocket put off by coaching appointments although ultimately proved the correct decision.

All the recent retirees ending up at different clubs.

Cyril drama, Bud seemingly not much love for us.

This is offset by legends like Derm, Dipper and to a lesser extend JD being prominent members of the media supporting us.

Law of averages and we have so many Hall of Famers or larger issue?

Did anyone ask what we will be doing with our four Tassie games post 2028? I know Gowers is keen on Cairns.
Someone did. It was mentioned they hoped for more games in Melbourne but also possibly playing two games in Tasmania a year to stoke the rivalry with the Tasmanian side (selling one match a year?) possibility to playing a game or so in Launceston to provide a “northern” alternative to the new team.

Someone did. It was mentioned they hoped for more games in Melbourne but also possibly playing two games in Tasmania a year to stoke the rivalry with the Tasmanian side (selling one match a year?) possibility to playing a game or so in Launceston to provide a “northern” alternative to the new team.
AG believes there is a natural rivalry with the “new” Tassie team that needs to be exploited. That said, I do believe we need to be aggressive in replacing Tassie as the major sponsor. I understand the current contract expires end of 2025.

This might be recency bias or a lack of knowledge about other clubs, but are we doing an ordinary job of keeping club legends on side/in the fold compared to others?

Don obviously a different cat but a club legend and causing trouble. Greene the same.

Ayres/Plough/Rocket put off by coaching appointments although ultimately proved the correct decision.

This is offset by legends like Derm, Dipper and to a lesser extend JD being prominent members of the media supporting us.

I think you’d find that Scott and Greene are a very small minority.

Cyril’s issues are outside of that.

Franklin is just a Sydney boy now, I have not heard of any issue between he and the club.

Schwab, Langford, Eade, Collins, Ayres, Pritchard, Lewis, Hodge, Burgorne, Bateman for example all former stars who have good enagament with the club, even after leaving to other clubs in some cases.

Don agitates for something that can never be revisited.
Ayres/Plough/Rocket, if this is the case they need to grow up.
I believe Sam is fixing the relationship with the recent retirees (See Lewis)
Cyril will work it self out now that Jeff is gone. Buddy I don't think is to do with the club.

Edit: Based on SYL post Ayres and Eade are all cool.

Cyril will work it self out now that Jeff is gone. Buddy I don't think is to do with the club.

I don't think Buddy will even have much to do with Sydney either to be fair

So who will mend the rift being created with Jeff? You?

AG believes there is a natural rivalry with the “new” Tassie team that needs to be exploited. That said, I do believe we need to be aggressive in replacing Tassie as the major sponsor. I understand the current contract expires end of 2025.
Yes except we will be the ones exploited. Our home game but we will have the crowd and umps against us. Home ground disadvantage. It might be ok for a couple of year while Tas build a team but long term that would be a mistake.

One game in Tas (for a while) and three returning to Melbourne would be fantastic. I have heard Gowers talk about Cairns ( the women play a home game there) but hope that does not eventuate.

Last edited:
One game in Tas (for a while) and three returning to Melbourne would be fantastic. I have heard Gowers talk about Cairns ( the women play a home game there) but hope that does not eventuate.

Horrible scenario IMO, outside of whatever financial benefits there would be.

Tough weather conditions from a playing point of view.
Much further away from a travelling supporter perspective.
Not a location for prime time games, or against bigger opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horrible scenario IMO, outside of whatever financial benefits there would be.

Tough weather conditions from a playing point of view.
Much further away from a travelling supporter perspective.
Not a location for prime time games, or against bigger opposition.
Agree. Cairns is an rubbish idea. There would also be little financial benefits in such a small footy market.

Surely we are now big enough to stand on our own two feet like the big five. Perhaps if we want the AFL to treat us like Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Geelong and even Melbourne, then we should act like those clubs and stop selling off our home games. We can’t expect parity of good time slots if we are selling games to small markets, which puts us in the WB and North category.

Like I tell my kids - if you wanted to be treated like and adult, then act like an adult.

So who will mend the rift being created with Jeff? You?
I'd suspect that'll just take some time and maybe when we get the next president. But he is angry he lost control.

And to be honest he is still angry he lost control of the state and still can't help himself after nearly 25 years.

Jeff will just put his hand up for another club presidency. He’ll be fine.

You have info on this or just making it up

The agm is not about Jeff don or r Greene

Real topics were raised and addressed at the agm …pleasingly Gowers and his board where receptive

Hopefully they act and produce some results on the issues raised

Agree. Cairns is an rubbish idea. There would also be little financial benefits in such a small footy market.

Surely we are now big enough to stand on our own two feet like the big five. Perhaps if we want the AFL to treat us like Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Geelong and even Melbourne, then we should act like those clubs and stop selling off our home games. We can’t expect parity of good time slots if we are selling games to small markets, which puts us in the WB and North category.

Like I tell my kids - if you wanted to be treated like and adult, then act like an adult.
Melbourne sell a home game to Alice Springs every year.

Richmond were selling them to Cairns too.

I copped a bit a while ago when I said we shouldn't waste our effort placating Scott, and I haven't gone back on that. I'm all for people calling out the club where necessary but that bloke loves coming out of the woodwork to pot us. Thanks for the good work stopping the merger, but that debt of gratitude is gone.
He's been hanging out with Newman too much. Both whinging sooks who's views on things are no longer relevant in today's society. Club icon yes but he's never happy no matter what the club does. Either get onboard with the clubs direction or stay in the background not stirring up trouble Don 1 or the other.

He floated a possibility about demons many years ago

So if you don’t anything more to add on that I take it you assumed and made it up
Read that post back to yourself a few times. Maybe it will sink in.

Regarding Tasmania, I'm sure in the short term we will want to cling to Launceston to keep our home ground advantage and profitability with low drawing sides. And try to keep our Tassie fanbase.

Tasmania will want to have home games against us as it's a guaranteed sell out and probably away games too. I'd rather play a home game against Tassie in Launceston than at the MCG financially. I'm sure Tasmania wouldn't object to away games in their state.

Will be interesting to see how many supporters we lose when they get a side, the AFL may want to force us out so the fan-base isn't split.

If we do leave Tasmania completely, is there any chance we can play a few home games at Kardina park against low drawing interstate sides? Best case scenario though is that we can actually start packing people into the G. That way interstate sides get more exposure to the MCG and we can get a real home ground advantage with 80,000+ hawks fans against Freo in a round 12 game.

Obviously that would require a huge growth in our fanbase and attendance, and more Hawks in AFL Members and MCC so we actually have the option to pack the place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back