2023 Annual report

Remove this Banner Ad

Any child of born of the mid 80s remember when 2/3rds of our 91 Premiership winning centre line walked out on us at the end of the 94 season? I would walk over broken glass to vote for Darren Pritchard as the next Hawthorn President. It would feel like voting for one of “us”

Financially we aren’t presently a mess. The finances are a continuation of last year’s - remind me who the president was then? Your beloved ex-President and his mostly hand-picked board approved the venue sales. Your quest to continually attack Gowers is honestly getting tiresome.

i'm not attacking Gowers ....this is not a discussion on the president ....read and decipher correctly

I think you are confusing revenue with profit.

By your figures we are down 20mill in revenue but somewhere between 1/2 a mill & 1mill in profit, depending on the year you want to choose your figures from.

Revenue is important but profit is more important

Yes, correct

i'm not confusing the 2....when we where clicking 70 mill we had larger annual profits as well ...

if your 20/25 mill per annum less revenue than the biggest clubs obviously that will impact profit and balance sheet over time

Any child of born of the mid 80s remember when 2/3rds of our 91 Premiership winning centre line walked out on us at the end of the 94 season? I would walk over broken glass to vote for Darren Pritchard as the next Hawthorn President. It would feel like voting for one of “us”
The only player in our ‘91 premiership centre line not there in ‘95 is Gowers.
So you might want to maths a little better.

As for voting for Pritchard as President, you’d be wasting your vote as he hasn’t nominated.

Voting for Gowers is voting for ‘one of us’

This is why I tell my kids ‘don’t do drugs’
Neither of your posts really make any sense

i'm not attacking Gowers ....this is not a discussion on the president ....read and decipher correctly

Yeah, we know what you are doing by your use of the term ‘dwindling’ revenue. You needlessly attack the non-Kennett hierarchy whenever you can. Nice attempt to pass it off as something else but anyone who has seen your posting history here knows what you are up to.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

How will it be weakened if we remain profitable? There’s a salary cap and footy department cap - it’s not as if clubs are making more revenue than us they can attract players or staff with it because we all play by the same rules. If our facilities are soon to be some of the best in the league who gives a s**t if other clubs have more revenue and a better asset base - so long as we are self sufficient and not going backwards. No player is going to go ‘well I was going to sign with Hawthorn until I saw West Coast’s balance sheet!’.

And as others have mentioned the drop in revenue is related to the exit from pokies venues. It hasn’t dwindled it has done exactly what would have been forecast when the previous board approved the sales last year.

It seems the removal of pokies made HFC a bit cash poorer but massively asset richer. So long as cash isn’t an issue, it’s perfecltly fine

It seems the removal of pokies made HFC a bit cash poorer but massively asset richer. So long as cash isn’t an issue, it’s perfecltly fine

It would be worthwhile someone at the AGM asking what the plans are for investing in new revenue streams once Dingley is bedded down.

Yes, correct

i'm not confusing the 2....when we where clicking 70 mill we had larger annual profits as well ...

if your 20/25 mill per annum less revenue than the biggest clubs obviously that will impact profit and balance sheet over time
Not by much. $5M versus $1.5M with a revenue drop of $20M is good financial management.

The problem that we have is who do we have lined up after the Tasmania sponsorship finishes.

Not by much. $5M versus $1.5M with a revenue drop of $20M is good financial management.

The problem that we have is who do we have lined up after the Tasmania sponsorship finishes.
The sponsorship issue is the big thing. We cannot keep “kicking this can down the road”. Our new CEO needs to be dynamic financially. To take us to the next level, we need a 5year commercial and strategic plan, and achieve it.
JGK had Tasmania, played with it strategically, definitely played with it politically. We need to move beyond Tasmania.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the state government is willing to kick in some millions for us to play 2 games out in regional Victoria like the Dogs do I hope we jump at it. That plus a good naming rights sponsor could see the Tassie sponsorship void erased fairly well.

Yeah, we know what you are doing by your use of the term ‘dwindling’ revenue. You needlessly attack the non-Kennett hierarchy whenever you can. Nice attempt to pass it off as something else but anyone who has seen your posting history here knows what you are up to.
I wasn't talking about Gowers or the president

im talking about the whole board

Kennett was the bloke who made decision to sell the pokies in any case

your jumping at shadows with paranoia and interpreting from imaginations

as I told the other bloke read and decipher correctly

im asking questions of the board ...who s there is irrelevant to me, all I want is best outcome for the club & the custodians to do their job to the fullest

I wasn't talking about Gowers or the president

im talking about the whole board

Kennett was the bloke who made decision to sell the pokies in any case

your jumping at shadows with paranoia and interpreting from imaginations

as I told the other bloke read and decipher correctly

im asking questions of the board ...who s there is irrelevant to me, all I want is best outcome for the club & the custodians to do their job to the fullest
Ok Jeff, we get it.

I think we're in a good position financially, the 1996 near merger with Melbourne (thank God Fitzroy took the bullet and we were able to save the club) have people on guard with boards and potential mismanagement of funds (ikon park, we lost millions to that shithole) but I think we have good people running the show for now(Tassie and Waverley situations really gave us a boost, although i do miss Glenferrie Oval), but like someone mentioned we need to find another revenue source for when we leave Tassie and aim to get over at least $60m to remain one of the strongest clubs in Vic in recent years.

I think we're in a good position financially, the 1996 near merger with Melbourne (thank God Fitzroy took the bullet and we were able to save the club) have people on guard with boards and potential mismanagement of funds (ikon park, we lost millions to that shithole) but I think we have good people running the show for now(Tassie and Waverley situations really gave us a boost, although i do miss Glenferrie Oval), but like someone mentioned we need to find another revenue source for when we leave Tassie and aim to get over at least $60m to remain one of the strongest clubs in Vic in recent years.
Still need to replace the pokies revenue stream too.

We're in a healthy position, but need to keep finding ways of being at the top. Especially with a massive project like Dingley...things can go wrong quickly

We're in a healthy position, but need to keep finding ways of being at the top. Especially with a massive project like Dingley...things can go wrong quickly

The handy profit from the sale of the pokies can be invested maybe at lower returns, but that’s what social responsibility is about is it not?
It doesn’t need to be a direct business. The core business is footy for entertainment

Now that we are out of Pokies, does the media care about the issue as much as it did? I remember the Age article way back that showed our revenue next to our ThreePete premiership cups, and suddenly our brand was heavily associated with Pokies. Do Carlton get the same pressure from media and industry etc about it (who have always had the most machines in the competition, and now also rake in the most profit) ?

Is Waverley on the balance sheet? Its an asset after all but its probably wrapped up with other things.

Is the plan to sell it?
What happens to it?

The handy profit from the sale of the pokies can be invested maybe at lower returns, but that’s what social responsibility is about is it not?
It doesn’t need to be a direct business. The core business is footy for entertainment
i suspect those funds are part of the cash reserves that are protected to fund Dingley

either way, we have been saying for years they need new revenue streams.....i'm not aware that we have any.

Social club at Dingley? central venue to watch Away games

Waverley will be sold at some point

That will be a large cash influx
What does the club actually own at Waverley? I remember there being a $1 lease agreement or something. I know we own some of the busniesses that operate out of the building but do we own the whole grandstand/shops/rooms/gym etc..?

Fortunately AG and the Board are aware of this. We need to replace Tassie as our major sponsor. That for me is critical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back