Game Day 2023 Grand Final : Pies v Lions

Who wins the 2023 AFL Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't help but think Brisbane lost this at selection. Gunston and Lyons should have played.

Also they were strangely defensive. No risk or bravery in their game (neither really did Collingwood) neither team tried to really win it just hoping the other team would stuff it up.

To that end the norm smith went to the right player, the one true spark on the field for the whole game

Also shows that in these contests that X-factor is crucial, Buddy, Roughy, Hodge, Burgoyne and Cyril all had it in abundance

I can't help but think Brisbane lost this at selection. Gunston and Lyons should have played.

Also they were strangely defensive. No risk or bravery in their game (neither really did Collingwood) neither team tried to really win it just hoping the other team would stuff it up.

To that end the norm smith went to the right player, the one true spark on the field for the whole game

Also shows that in these contests that X-factor is crucial, Buddy, Roughy, Hodge, Burgoyne and Cyril all had it in abundance
They played Fletcher (3 kicks) over Gunner. Lost it right there.

Yes I would agree with that. Lions bottled it as they say.
The only one player to really show a bit of dash and dare for the lions was Daniher. The rest weren’t adventurous enough.
Raynor and Cameron really disappointing. Just didn’t take the game on.
That said they only lost by 4 points. Some real spuds on both sides today though, bottom 4 players for each were horrendous.

Collingwood does not have a better list than us.

Their best 22 is not so much more advanced than ours.

Their forward line does not have the famed 2 big elite KPFs.

They have a bunch of role players who perform to expectations and a handful of elite players, not unlike us.

We are a bit younger and less settled in structure. Well done to them. We should find their success encouraging.
Biggest difference between us and the Pies is that the Pies veterans (Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe, etc) are still playing good footy whilst all our veterans (with the noticeable exception of Bruest) have tended to drop of a cliff once they hit 28/29 as of late.

Need to have that strong senior core to help ride out the tough patches in matches and we are lacking players in that age group at the moment.
They do have three AAs to our one. Three F&S picks oddly. And they did get Quaynor as an academy pick before the pick-40 rule came in so they’ve had some luck along the way, which happens. Hopefully we will get some breaks like that soon too, starting with McCabe.

But I do look at the last few premiership teams and at North and Carlton and I worry about our lack of players at the really pointy end of the draft. At this minute, we don’t have one top five pick on our list; I think all the premiers from WB on have had four or five. We’ll pick one up this draft but North will get at least two more and that will bring them up to 7!! Luckily they are getting draft help.

We really need DGB, Ward and Mackenzie to turn out to be good players because we can’t rely on MSD picks, rookies and great late round draftees to carry us to the promised land. Well we can, but the odds are much greater of them doing so!

Enjoyed the game overall. Much as it pains me to say it best team on the day and likely the year won it.

N Daicos is a very good player but why the ducking? Selwood has a lot to answer for in terms of his legacy.

Umpiring was poor, yes. But the AFL really needs to get the person who hands the caps out to unfold them before giving them to the players. Easy improvement right there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a neautral I really enjoyed the game .
Pies were the best for the majority of the season , won their finals and really should have won yesterday by 3-4 goals .

Its a tough one for the Lions not sure they will get a better chance than that . Too many players that had minimal impact yesterday . Thought Hipwood was very disappointing and although Cameron kicked a few he was held in check and Hill pretty much did what I thought Cameron would do .....create chaos for the defence.
Will never know but its the type of game Gunners would have kicked 3-4 in under the pressure .

Daicos is a jet , just wish he would stop ducking and putting mayo on any contact.

Darcy Moore is a supstar leader . Another class speech from him.

Watching yesterday , with how the game is played we should have confidence that we arnt far off finals and are assembling a list that can get it done when it counts

Collingwood does not have a better list than us.

Their best 22 is not so much more advanced than ours.

Their forward line does not have the famed 2 big elite KPFs.

They have a bunch of role players who perform to expectations and a handful of elite players, not unlike us.

We are a bit younger and less settled in structure. Well done to them. We should find their success encouraging.

I think it just shows what keeping players together can do. They have a great depth of experienced players who have played 100-150 games together, littered with elite young talent 18-24. Most teams have elite talent on their list, but the latter is so important

As a neautral I really enjoyed the game .
Pies were the best for the majority of the season , won their finals and really should have won yesterday by 3-4 goals .

Its a tough one for the Lions not sure they will get a better chance than that . Too many players that had minimal impact yesterday . Thought Hipwood was very disappointing and although Cameron kicked a few he was held in check and Hill pretty much did what I thought Cameron would do .....create chaos for the defence.
Will never know but its the type of game Gunners would have kicked 3-4 in under the pressure .

Daicos is a jet , just wish he would stop ducking and putting mayo on any contact.

Darcy Moore is a supstar leader . Another class speech from him.

Watching yesterday , with how the game is played we should have confidence that we arnt far off finals and are assembling a list that can get it done when it counts
Totally agree. This Collingwood team is not a dynasty type team. Wouldn't surprise they get found out a bit next year with more focus from all the other teams on how they go about it. I honestly think both Sidebottom and Pendlebury should retire now. Go out on a massive high 2 time premiership players. Pendles has Boomer's record in his sights IMO that's what is driving him now. There is enough leaders to carry the load without those 2 there. Certainly not as far off as we all think. Can see us jump a few spots next year if the game style clicks more often.

Seeing Maynard as a premiership player irks me because you just know he will strut around with his chest out indefinitely now. I get the guy is a decent bloke off the field but bullies onfield shouldn't get rewarded with success IMO.

Totally agree. This Collingwood team is not a dynasty type team. Wouldn't surprise they get found out a bit next year with more focus from all the other teams on how they go about it. I honestly think both Sidebottom and Pendlebury should retire now. Go out on a massive high 2 time premiership players. Pendles has Boomer's record in his sights IMO that's what is driving him now. There is enough leaders to carry the load without those 2 there. Certainly not as far off as we all think. Can see us jump a few spots next year if the game style clicks more often.

Surely teams would line up to Take pendles or sidebottom

Last edited:
Moore. …… Sicily
De Goey….. Newcombe
N Daicos…….Day
J Daicos……..Amon
Pendles………Bruest
Sidebottom..Wingard
Hill……………..pick 3 2023

Big hopes in 2-3 years for Reeves. Weddle macx3. Blanck DGB Ward Husthwaite

Seeing Maynard as a premiership player irks me because you just know he will strut around with his chest out indefinitely now. I get the guy is a decent bloke off the field but bullies onfield shouldn't get rewarded with success IMO.
Interesting.

I’m struggling to think of a single Hawthorn premiership side which didn’t have a bigger on-field bully than Brayden Maynard.

Particularly the 80s/90s ones.

Game was an absolute cracker. Shootout first half, absorbing arm wrestle second half. Went down to the wire and the better team held on.

Those who want to mention how it was umpired must be great fun at parties.

Pies win because their second tier players stepped up more than Brizzys.

The likes of Crisp, Mitchell, Hill (obviously), Howe & McCreery played above expectations whilst the Lions equivalents didn’t step up as well.

This one wasn’t won by the stars taking control, it was a typical Collingwood team effort.

Interesting.

I’m struggling to think of a single Hawthorn premiership side which didn’t have a bigger on-field bully than Brayden Maynard.

Particularly the 80s/90s ones.

Game was an absolute cracker. Shootout first half, absorbing arm wrestle second half. Went down to the wire and the better team held on.

Those who want to mention how it was umpired must be great fun at parties.

Pies win because their second tier players stepped up more than Brizzys.

The likes of Crisp, Mitchell, Hill (obviously), Howe & McCreery played above expectations whilst the Lions equivalents didn’t step up as well.

This one wasn’t won by the stars taking control, it was a typical Collingwood team effort.
Spot on. Was a great final with lots of twists and turns that could have gone either way. Perfect for the neutrals.

And McRae is a likeable and great coach with the Premiership the second best thing to happen to him yesterday.

Back