2023 PCM - Will Day Peter Crimmins medalist 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well deserved by Will. Would’ve won it easy if not for the 2 week suspension.

Newcombe unlucky but great to see him up there again. Playing like a 150 gamer.

Nash and Worpel highly important to the midfield also. Great consistency.

Well done Will “John” Day!

Thought it was very telling our mids took out the top 4, they were the one true consistently shining light this year.

What a turnaround from the midfield mix!

Great to see a South Aussie win the PCM :)

Did anyone jot down the 7th-10th place getters and their votes?
Never mind, I got them.

2023 Peter Crimmins Medal Top 10
1st: Will Day (125)
2nd: Jai Newcombe (123)
3rd: Conor Nash (114)
4th: James Worpel (110)
5th: James Sicily (101)
6th: Dylan Moore (93)
7th: Jarman Impey (91)
8th: Karl Amon (86)
9th: Blake Hardwick (78)
10th: Luke Breust (67)

So good to see Will win this. I remember his first few games when it was clear we had a special player.
It's been so satisfying seeing that promise fulfilled in such a consistent, impressive way as it has been this season. It hasn't all been smooth sailing for him and it was hard not to have some concerns, not about his talent but his durability and consistency, so I'm very happy for him (and us!)

I also love the fact that this group has such a deeply held belief in what they are doing and where they are headed. No ifs or buts. Exciting times.

Similar to Yabby medal votes. Bit more love for Hardwick and Moore from the coaches.

1. Will Day
2. Jai Newcombe
3. James Worpel
4. James Sicily
5. Conor Nash
6. Karl Amon
7. Jarman Impey
8. Luke Breust
9. Dylan Moore
10. Ned Reeves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A little surprised
Did think Jai would win easily
Thought Karl should of polled better
And surprised Dylan finished as high as he did

Was blown away at the height of Nash and Day when standing alongside Nat

After the accolades given to Sam Mitchell for transforming the midfield when he was assistant coach at WCE, I had high hopes that just maybe he could be some kind of "midfield whisperer" when he became our senior coach. Despite our mids at the time seemingly being sparce in talent, he's proven himself in very quick time to transform our onballers. There's only one explanation for this... you're a wizard, Sammy.

After the accolades given to Sam Mitchell for transforming the midfield when he was assistant coach at WCE, I had high hopes that just maybe he could be some kind of "midfield whisperer" when he became our senior coach. Despite our mids at the time seemingly being sparce in talent, he's proven himself in very quick time to transform our onballers. There's only one explanation for this... you're a wizard, Sammy.
Well to be frank, none of our talls played a cracking season did they?

Aside from Sicily there’s no one other than a 197cm midfielder in Nash who finished top 10.

You’ve got to fill the top 10 with ten players from the club.

Having a club B&F dominated by mids / small runners (which is not unusual) is symptomatic of a club lacking decent talls / KPPs.

Well done Day & Nash, as I agree they are the ones whose PCM results are impressive.

For everyone else, well it’s about what you would expect given the position they play and our dearth of decent talls.

I like the PCM voting system:

Votes for the 2023 Peter Crimmins Medal are awarded after each home-and-away match, with three voting cards split between Hawthorn’s coaching group. A maximum of 12 votes can be accumulated by a player after the three voting cards are submitted using the following grading system: three votes to the best player/s, two votes for the player/s who had a significant influence on the game, one vote to player/s who played their role or beat their opponent. On rare occasions a player/s may receive four votes for an exceptional game.

The coaches know the role of each player and they notice the small things that make a difference. This is why a player like Nash can do very well in the PCM but struggle to score a vote in the Brownlow.

If you told me yesterday morning that Sic would just scrape in to 5th position in the PCM I'd have called you mad. Goes to show how much we rate the performance of that young midfield internally!

Surprised to see Daysy come out ahead of Newc, but he was more consistent throughout the season where Newc had higher highs and quieter games. Definitely not mad about it, those two will be taking turns at that medal for the next 10 years!

I like the PCM voting system:

Votes for the 2023 Peter Crimmins Medal are awarded after each home-and-away match, with three voting cards split between Hawthorn’s coaching group. A maximum of 12 votes can be accumulated by a player after the three voting cards are submitted using the following grading system: three votes to the best player/s, two votes for the player/s who had a significant influence on the game, one vote to player/s who played their role or beat their opponent. On rare occasions a player/s may receive four votes for an exceptional game.

The coaches know the role of each player and they notice the small things that make a difference. This is why a player like Nash can do very well in the PCM but struggle to score a vote in the Brownlow.
Excellent points. I’ve been part of coaching panels in VFL/TAC programs which used the same system, and I understand why. Every player is assessed each week. Many can get 0 if they had a below average day.

A better measure of how we are tracking as a club in the eyes of the coaching staff is the total number of votes awarded.

Back in 2015, our top ten polled between 144 (Gunston 10th) - 204 (Gibson 1st) votes.

That’s plenty of players logging 2s and 3s week in/out.

Last night it was between 67 - 125. Plenty of 0s and 1s in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back