Preview 2023 Mid Season Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn't done the due diligence on Tucker, but his highlights package is super impressive. I'd argue it's more impressive than Ramsden's was last year. Perhaps Clay just looks like a more natural footballer.

Love how Sam values a quality ruck cohort. It's so valuable for depth, and in building a formidable midfield. Absolutely love what he's doing with our list.
Good rucks can also be worth a fairly decent trade value. I see this as a good way to stock up on potential assets for future draft pick movement.

Good rucks can also be worth a fairly decent trade value. I see this as a good way to stock up on potential assets for future draft pick movement.

That was one of the other angle for drafting Ryan. After his BH audition, I bet there are some clubs asking to trade for him and willing to pay decent coin.
Tucker has nominated 18 months.

IMG_0351.jpeg

Very happy for Maric, and this is certainly nothing to do with him, or to diminish his ability or the achievement of getting drafted and hopefully living out his dreams.

But …. these journalists and headline writers constantly calling every player a star or a legend is getting a bit ridiculous. How can anyone who was selected tonight be called a star already.

Surely if every single player is a star, then it actually has no meaning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how Sam values a quality ruck cohort. It's so valuable for depth, and in building a formidable midfield. Absolutely love what he's doing with our list.
The last few years with McEvoy on the decline and barely another competitive ruck to partner him has been shot for our midfield. With two strong rucks our mids have a great opportunity to dominate. I’m all for having a strong ruck group. It’s a real advantage for us.

Tucker makes total sense and I think will be a good player in time. He seems quite agile a competitor and a pretty good kick again for a ruck. Not clear on why we chose Ryan, at 25 and needing to develop seems like an odd call but clearly they rate him. I’m hoping against the odds that the professional recruiting team are right and I am not…

Hello to everyone. I would have posted my thoughts earlier, but my fiber-to-the premises broadband has decided to work horribly tonight despite the fact it should be working at 250 mbps. Good old Australian broadband. Anyhow. We took the best available selection in Clay Tucker at pick 3, in my opinion. I was quite impressed by Tucker when I saw him play for the Eastern Ranges against the Northern Knights. He showed good ruck craft, athleticism, and an ability to play as a forward. I also imagine he can take some intercept marks in the backline. People will question why we have selected a ruck. Well, Reeves and Meek (Lynch if he can turn his career around) are far from established, and this just further reinforces that we are building up a competitive, winning culture.
As for Ryan, I'll admit I haven’t watched much of him and wasn’t too impressed when he played against Box Hill. That said, a 200-cm key forward prospect, no matter their age, is always going to be enticing for a club, and his highlights look good. He will no doubt be keeping Koschitzke and Ramsden hot on their heels, particularly Kosi.

Tucker makes total sense and I think will be a good player in time. He seems quite agile a competitor and a pretty good kick again for a ruck. Not clear on why we chose Ryan, at 25 and needing to develop seems like an odd call but clearly they rate him. I’m hoping against the odds that the professional recruiting team are right and I am not…
Maybe he’s viewed as the short term insurance if we get injuries to Meek and/or Reeves. They may be positioning Ramma as a forward who rucks a bit, and see Tucker as a longer term prospect, and do want to keep them out of the front line ruck roles for a year or two. I think we were spooked by our lack of ticks last year and are hedging against a repeat?

Tucker and Ryan look like useful selections and our recruiting has been pretty solid recently.
Obviously a disappointing draft for the Jed Rule has been hidden conspiracy theorists.
I think Tucker was being hidden the whole time, least hype and game time out of the three Box Hill draftees. Hidden so well we didn't even realise he was being hidden...

Last edited:
Living near Preston City Oval I've watched most of the Bullants home games in addition to the phenomenal derby played at Piranha Park.

Ryan is a serious player. I think his weapons are actually complimentary to our established talls - and with his genuine dual position, Kosi may never have to ruck again. It also indicates that Lynch's career may be over which I hope it is for his case, no level of football is more valuable than neural health.

I hope to see Ryan play on the seniors soon with Lewis and Kosi both playing, as well as one of Meek and Reeves. He doesn't play as deep as Kosi as he is a gifted field kick and often was kicking inside 50 for the Bullants. He has the potential to be a more effective Hipwood, and like Hipwood his skills open the doors for playing 3 Talls forward.

Our Hawks are turning into the land of the giants. Reeves 210 cm, Tucker 204 cm, Ramsden 203 cm, Meek 203 cm, Ryan 200, Lewis 199, Lynch 199 cm, Nash 198com, Jeka 198 cm, Koschitzke 196cm, Blanck 196 cm, Hustwaite 195, Frost 194 cm, Scrimshaw 194 cm, G-Barrass 194, long 194 cm, Serong 193.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back