Ultimate Glory Hawthorn blue sky discussion thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

This year we’re going to have a particular place for positivity. A thread where you can come and feel all warm and fuzzy about the Hawks, no matter what.

It’s not for naysayers or doomsters who turn up in most other threads to question a players worth or form, it’s for posters who are seeing something they like, highlighting the positives and just general blue sky thoughts.

I’ve already seen lots of posters talking about how they’re excited about the draftees and the growth in the list. More of that is what this thread is all about.

Note: the thread will be moderated accordingly, and posts that are only made to post fun at the thread or talk down the positivity will be removed.

I feel like the enthusiasm and exuberance of such a young group is really infectious - and it will be bumpy, but I've never felt the words of our club song more keenly, ride 'em with a grin boys!

I also feel like Sam himself brings a special kind of energy and accessibility? He's building a great culture, and even as a fan I want to be a part of it. We could finish bottom 4 again, but if we continue to go about it the right way, I think I'll still be smiling!

Hawks flag.
Newcombe Brownlow, MVP, Norm Smith.
Lewis Coleman, 5 goals in the grand final pantsing SDK.
Cam McKenzie ROTY.

On a more serious note though, I think we're in an interesting position that I can't help but be positive about. Not only do we have the youngest playing list by a fair margin, but I'd wager we've got the youngest coaching line up by a fair margin too - the type of line up with genuinely fresh ideas about how the game should be played. There's something about this team that has the potential to really shake up the league if it all comes together, particularly with how old successful teams are becoming.

What I’m looking forward to seeing is which young players will stand up in the midfield. That is where most of the improvement will likely come from.

Day is one player who I think will be the difference maker. He’s the player you want with the ball if your a Hawthorn forward.

The addition of Meek will allow Reeves to spend more time up forward giving us another marking target.

Excited to see what Amon and Meek bring to the midfield mix.

Reckon Newk will get more attention from the opposition so plenty of opportunity for Ward, CMac, Finn, Worps, Stephens, Nash, Moore and Frenchy to step up and win clearances.

Our back half looks like it could be anything with Sic and Dimma surrounded by lots of attacking players.

Day potentially in the midfield is exciting because he is such a quality user.

Reckon Kosi will recapture some of his form from 2021 and kick 30 plus.

AA calibre seasons from Moore, Lewis, Sicily and Amon.

Like others have said here it’s all about leaving the late Clarko period behind and testing out a different style midfield with a Sammy stamp all over it. Getting really good vibes about the culture that is building here. I think we are going to see some interesting moments where we see how competitive our boys are in their attitudes - particularly under Sicily (very likely the new captain). Sure - we will We have some awful smashings and alternatively some unbelievable above par performances - it will be uneven. It’s a long road. Strap in

Sure - we will We have some awful smashings and alternatively some unbelievable above par performances - it will be uneven. It’s a long road. Strap in
Uh oh storm clouds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to seeing Cam McKenzie's sublime kicking from round 1. Not to mention Amon and Weddle streaming up and down the ground.

Our young midfield to surprise the naysayers. Good to have Meek and Stephens in the mix to throw their weight around. Meek especially.

There will definitely be a few surprises - looking forward to see which players bob up this year to cement their spot.

EDIT: Have to mention Day - would love to see him injury free and playing the way only he can.

Last edited:
This year we’re going to have a particular place for positivity. A thread where you can come and feel all warm and fuzzy about the Hawks, no matter what.

It’s not for naysayers or doomsters who turn up in most other threads to question a players worth or form, it’s for posters who are seeing something they like, highlighting the positives and just general blue sky thoughts.

I’ve already seen lots of posters talking about how they’re excited about the draftees and the growth in the list. More of that is what this thread is all about.

Note: the thread will be moderated accordingly, and posts that are only made to post fun at the thread or talk down the positivity will be removed.
Awesome idea SYL.
Positivity is sadly lacking in this crazy old world atm.
GO HAWKERS!!

I'm really keen to see how Blanck develops after having a full AFL preseason.
Watching CMac with great interest. So much to look forward to.
Sam Butler has a lot to offer. I wonder how & where he'll make an impact.
Max Ramsden will keep my focus on Box Hill.

I believe were going to see electricity in and from this team.

Machine Learning Crypto GIF by xponentialdesign

R23 Hawthorn kicks 23.14 in a masterclass against Melbourne to set up a final round clash against Fremantle - with a win having us in the 8.
We beat the Dockers by 13 points to set the footy club and Sammy into their inaugural finals campaign as a group, and penning what will be known as the great resurgence of the Mighty Fighting Hawks......amidst a flood of league wide tears.
I can just, feel it.

Great thread. I'm anticipating high post count from The Axeman.

Bullish on the majority of our young guys ......

But I think C Mac will come with a bullet this season . Will be in our best 5-6 players by years end.

Also at the end of next season we will have won the 'Stephens' trade . I think it was great recruiting/trading for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back