Training Reports Includes Updated Training Times

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 22, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Started today, I believe.

First - Third years required back at the club this am, though I'm sure any others with injuries would also be in attendance for rehab work etc.

Not sure of scheduling and locations - presumably there will be a fair few sessions at Craigieburn - which is where Mitch Farmer is from, incidentally.

All reports welcomed - the sooner we put 2009 behind us the better.

With about a dozen departures, there should be plenty of new faces to follow and report on in coming weeks, so let's hear about them as they emerge.

Go Tiges :thumbsu:

Re: Training Reports - 2010 Preseason

Drove past today and saw them running around. I'm sure I saw Kayne Petttifer taking shots on goals. There were only about 20 of them.

I believe this was just a warm up session (some running, a few tests), and that serious training starts on Wednesday.

He did his knee, we wouldn't just delist him and leave him in the wilderness, I'm sure his only there for rehab.

RG's Training Report 27/10

Was driving on Punt Road today and saw a few of the boys running around so I popped in for about 1/2 hour.

As others have said it look to be the first to fourth year players out there.

Players I can confirm seeings:
Edwards, Conners, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Browne, Rance, Nahas, Gilligan, Post, Gourdis, Putt, Hislop, Collins, and what looked like Farmer (smallish bloke with short blonde hair)

Anyway, as Hardwick promised, the balls are out already. I saw a couple of drills. In the first drill coaches were poping balls up to "fowards" in which a "defender" had to come from front on and spoil without trying to give the free kick. Browne was actually very good at defending - beat Gourdis and Riewoldt more then not.

Then it moved on to some short lead and mark drills (non-contact) in which two teams simply had a 1-on-1 oppoent who they had to lead to the ball then pass it 20 - 30m up to the next guy in the chain. Gilligan was the best at this. Each player only had 4 or 5 kicks each, but his kicking was presitine over the distance. Where as a few players kicked it straight to there teammate, Gilligan always kicked it to the side they were running too.

As for the leading and marking, Jack looked the most comfortable. He certainly has a swagger about him, as if he knows he's the best. Expecting a big year from him

After this they pretty much called it a day.

As far as I could tell the rehab group was Cotchin, Collins, Farmer and Hislop as they only took part in some light kicking excercises and no running.

Conditioning wise, noone really stood out. Nahas and Gilligan are still very small, though Gilligan has some nice pins :p . Collo hasn't added weight (maybe lost some in fact). Physically Chimp look excellent as does Riewoldt who may have put on some size. Titch Edwards has worked on his shoulders and back a bit but still has no arms to speak of. Conditioning wise, Conners was the one who impressed me the most. For the first time I actually saw some definition in his arms. The other major stand out was Posty for his size. Hasn't put any weight on, but is a really big boy now. Significantly taller then Rance (192cm).

Everyone seems to be in good spirits, alot of pats on the back.

As far as coaches go, Hardwick was the one explaining the drills and then was assessing the players. Leppitch was there, and he is a monster of a unit. He took some rills with the bigger boys, completetly outmuscled them. I think Cambo and Free (?) were there aswell, but on the far side. A big bloke was there in a cap, wasn't Monkhurst. I thought it could have been Lade but he did look quite young.

And ladies and gentlemen, that is why you come to Bigfooty.

Any questions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done RG thanks for the report. I know it's early and I just hope the hell that the weights room is in Hardwicks sights as I really believe a lot of our players need some major building up, Edwards springs to mind.

thanks Richoguns!! has Vickery had a haircut yet???

Thanks a ton, RG. Did you ask when other sessions would be?

P.S - I heard that Vicks did have a haircut, but kept sideburns.

It's funny you mention this gents. I actually didn't notice Vickery out there, but thats probably because I didn't see his massive mop.

However, I did mention 3 tall standouts amoungst the group. The first was easily identified as Browne, and the other was Posty. The final of the three I never had a great view, because of his height I just assumed it was Putty - however, it could have just as easily been Vickery (with no dreads). This would make sense if the rumouse regarding Putts delisting are true.

It's funny you mention this gents. I actually didn't notice Vickery out there, but thats probably because I didn't see his massive mop.

However, I did mention 3 tall standouts amoungst the group. The first was easily identified as Browne, and the other was Posty. The final of the three I never had a great view, because of his height I just assumed it was Putty - however, it could have just as easily been Vickery (with no dreads). This would make sense if the rumouse regarding Putts delisting are true.
If post plays forward the whole season i think we could get 35-40 goals from him. Good seeing he is a 2nd year player :thumbsu:

Well done RG thanks for the report. I know it's early and I just hope the hell that the weights room is in Hardwicks sights as I really believe a lot of our players need some major building up, Edwards springs to mind.

As I said in the original post WAT, I couldn't really notice any extra bualk in any players.

Edwards, Gilligan and Nahas all are very thin. Nahas can get away with it because he gives 100% into every tackle. Gilligan is very thin through the torsou and arms but has some strong looking legs. Edwards looks as though he has a strong upper back and good shoulders however is still very thin in the legs and arms.

Jack was looking fit, while Conners and Collins looked like they had lost some weight (good news in Conners case, as he has always looked a but unfit for a footballer imo)

As I said in the original post WAT, I couldn't really notice any extra bualk in any players.

Edwards, Gilligan and Nahas all are very thin. Nahas can get away with it because he gives 100% into every tackle. Gilligan is very thin through the torsou and arms but has some strong looking legs. Edwards looks as though he has a strong upper back and good shoulders however is still very thin in the legs and arms.

Jack was looking fit, while Conners and Collins looked like they had lost some weight (good news in Conners case, as he has always looked a but unfit for a footballer imo)

Cheers again RG, Edwards does worry me though, he needs more bulk everyware because he is knocked over and off the ball to easily. Nahas as you said can get away with it, lets face it he takes care of himself and is a great tackler. Gilligan has the typical Aboriginal build IMO and can carry that build if his footy smarts are with him.

much love for the report RG:thumbsu:

Browne as a defender seemed interesting. I can't really recall how this guy moved? Is he as slow as Graham - or does he have a good pace on him?

The Vickery / Putt confusion definitely is interesting. One would think that it was Vick minus the dreads, and Putt is indeed gone.

Also no Silvester - Does this mean he has been cut from the Rookie list - or been promoted to the seniors?

Gee - Whiz! I'm about ready to see those delistings Mr Hard-dick! :D

much love for the report RG:thumbsu:

Browne as a defender seemed interesting. I can't really recall how this guy moved? Is he as slow as Graham - or does he have a good pace on him?

The Vickery / Putt confusion definitely is interesting. One would think that it was Vick minus the dreads, and Putt is indeed gone.

Also no Silvester - Does this mean he has been cut from the Rookie list - or been promoted to the seniors?

Gee - Whiz! I'm about ready to see those delistings Mr Hard-dick! :D

Regarding Silvestor. There was a guy who wasn't doing much training but was just sitting out at the edge of the oval. Occasionally he would walk over when the group came together and always had a ball in his had. He was of solid build and had black. My initial thoughts were it was Silvestor.

Regarding Browne. Don't look too much into his defensive work. I'm not sure what I said in my orginal post, but all the players were doing the same drills. His group featued himself, Leppitich, Goo and Jack (with Collins and Hislop doing the kicking). All of the talls were doing the spoilng as well as the marking portions of the drill.

Browne was just impressive because he competed alot better then I thought he would. Won most of his contests and for a big bloke didn't look too clumsy. In saying this, it the drill had nothing to do with speed, however in the final drill his 20-30m passing by foot looked quite good.

RG's players who are BURNING UP THE TRACK ;)
- D Conners
- A Browne
- J Riewoldt
- A Gilligan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back