Suspended
Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
This looms as a huge match. Many people expect these two sides to face off in the Grand Final. How do people see this match unfolding?

As someone who has been talking WC up since the end of last season, I would like to state that I'm not very confident about WC's chances in this game.

After we smashed Brisbane at the GABBA, I posted a handful of threads discussing WC's chances of going 12-0. Obviously, we're 11-1 thanks to Collingwood pulling one out of their a*ses. But almost 2 months ago I had marked this game as the first of the season I thought we might lose, and I still feel the same way.

I think Melbourne might have too even a spread of goal-kickers for us to cover. We don't have a match-up for Robertson, and I can just see Yze and Green kicking 5-6 between them.

It should be an entertaining, high-scoring match. I expect WC to win the midfield battle, but Melbourne's forwards are very efficient. WC desperately need Matera, Hansen and Lynch to all produce their best footy.

Melbourne by 14 points.

Nah I am not confident either. Melbourne are a very good side and having the home ground advantage should see them over the line. I do expect it to be a good game though and I hope we really give it all we have. I personally think Adelaide are a great chance to play in the GF and we have already beaten them at AAMI this year ;)

What really annoys me is that we only get a 5-day break after QB. WCE get an 8-day break. Funny how Collingwood get the week off (due to split round) after QB, but not Melbourne!

Even though we should win with home ground advantage etc etc, dont be suprised to see the eagles get up, seeing as they'll have 3 days more of a break than us. Hell, they've already started preparing for it...

Marns said:
What really annoys me is that we only get a 5-day break after QB. WCE get an 8-day break. Funny how Collingwood get the week off (due to split round) after QB, but not Melbourne!

Even though we should win with home ground advantage etc etc, dont be suprised to see the eagles get up, seeing as they'll have 3 days more of a break than us. Hell, they've already started preparing for it...
Pretty ordinary fixturing but it will take the Eagles those three days to get over the slog fest last night. You guys might be in trouble if it rains heavily on Monday and you get a few injuries. 5 days break simply isn't enough. Too risky for things to go pear shaped - only takes a couple of corkies and dislocated fingers.

bunsen burner said:
Pretty ordinary fixturing but it will take the Eagles those three days to get over the slog fest last night. You guys might be in trouble if it rains heavily on Monday and you get a few injuries. 5 days break simply isn't enough. Too risky for things to go pear shaped - only takes a couple of corkies and dislocated fingers.

Thats what Im worried about the most.
The 5 day break is a bitch, but its what we were dealt with, so I guess we cant complain.
This should be an awesome match though.

If we bring our game, i think we can beat melbourne. Our defence has improved hugely this year, our forward line is looking OK, and our midfield has plenty of depth.

I think the eagles will also feel a *bit* more at home at the G, considering they would have played 3 of their last 6 there.

It is going to be a corker.

Our biggest game of the year. Most will tip Melbourne for this game, however I believe that we can lift a gear if need be (w'eve been crusing in 2nd+3rd for a bit :rolleyes: ). Chick will take Robertson, Banners will take Davey (although Lovett was carving Banners up whilst he was on the ground) and Bones should take Yze/Green. I think if we can get the matchups right, we are a chance. Becuase Melbourne have so many options up forward, somoene will always bag 5-6 but if we use the Freo game as an example, just play a free flowing, hard running game and hope for a shootout- that is our best way of winning.

If we can get it quick into our forward line we will win.Lynch will be too strong for Nicholson and Hansen likewise on who ever the CHB will be for Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

weagles_fan said:
If we can get it quick into our forward line we will win.Lynch will be too strong for Nicholson and Hansen likewise on who ever the CHB will be for Melbourne.

Lynch has yet to prove anything and will struggle to kick a goal on the mighty Nicho!
Oh and J. Rivers > Hansen.

There is absolutely no doubt that whoever loses this game (whether it be 1 point or 100 points) will be labelled 'pretenders' by the trolls on here.

Last time these teams met the Dees had about double the scoring shots of the Coast. Robbo kicked a bag.

Robba > Wet Toast.

Their midfield is our biggest problem.
Cox will beat Whitey, so maybe this is a good time for Paul Johnson to have a huge game against his old side?
Also Read will come in, and I'm more than confident he will put a few of his old team mates on their arses.
Bruce on Cousins will be my first priority.
A lot depends on Monday. If it rains, or if its a really hard physical game with lots of injuries (and suspensions), we will really struggle. Having said that, I expect Brock McLean to be rested again this week, plus Phil Read will be fresh.
I trust that if the boys want this badly enough, we will win. (And even if we don't, it will be fantastic to watch Judd and Cousins live in action!)

sedders said:
i'll give you J. River > Hansen but who > Cox, judd and cousins
white can beat cox

as for cousins and judd, johnstone is in as good a form as them

You are full of ********.

Cox would kill White.

And Johnstone can't beat two.

It will be touted as a possible GF preview. To win we simply need to push forward with our midfielders like we usually do and force their midfielders to be defensive. Since it is at the MCG we should win but will be a very good game.

SirBloodyIdiot said:
You are full of ********.

Cox would kill White.

And Johnstone can't beat two.
i never said he good but i said he is playing as well as those 2 are and if you had seen him you wouldnt deny that.

Johnstone will needa be tagged by Stenglien.
Bruce will tag cousins but will push forward on occasions
McLean will take Judd i reckon

also eagles had better make sure that they dun liek guys like sylvia n especially j.mcdonald run loose. teams rarly pay junior any attention so he just reacks up the touches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back