Expansion Is now the time for a team in Newcastle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Go GWS!

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
With the Newcastle Jets being wound up in the A League is now the perfect time to go into Newcastle? An AFL team would have the same effect on the Knights that the Suns have had on the Titans. Would probably be an AFL town by 2020.

Swans, GWS and Newcastle? Who would've thought we (NSW) could be an AFL state!

With the Newcastle Jets being wound up in the A League is now the perfect time to go into Newcastle? An AFL team would have the same effect on the Knights that the Suns have had on the Titans. Would probably be an AFL town by 2020.

Swans, GWS and Newcastle? Who would've thought we (NSW) could be an AFL state!

um nah won't happen or work in the forseeable future, Newcastle is the NSW/rugby league equivalent of Geelong, they love there team and sport too much and many people that i know from there are quite closed minded.

Newcastle and AFL is like having Iran and Israel happily married. Will not work.

Don't think so. The talent pool is stretched as it is. Even now we risk running some of the established clubs into the ground....

Don't think so. The talent pool is stretched as it is. Even now we risk running some of the established clubs into the ground....

This. Give NSW/QLD grassroots footy more time to develop so that the output of quality players exceeds the number of new player spots in the league. At least 5 years away, probably 10 imo.

Pffft, no way.

If there’s a suitable ground maybe the Swans or GWS could play a NAB match there to give it a go. If that’s successful, maybe one H&A game.

Absolutely no demand for a footy team at the moment.

And the Jets aren’t going anywhere. They’re pretty well supported. With or without Tinkler, they’ll be around for a little while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 10-15 years time when we expand again, Tasmania gets a team followed by (depending on the circumstances/populations in 10-15 years time):

North Queensland (based in Cairns)
WA 3rd
Central Coast NSW (if they don't have their own NRL team by that stage)
Canberra
New Zealand
Darwin
Daylight
The Moon
Newcastle.

Gold coast is a strong league area, but it's not - despite what the NRL will tell you - rusted on heartland. Newcastle is true league heartland. It'd be like building a Synagogue in Iran.

Could see Newcastle and Cairns being awarded the 19th and 20th licences to field teams in the 2018 Season, with Tasmania overlooked yet again...

I would say the next four targets for expansion are Tasmania, Canberra, a 3rd Perth team, and North Queensland/Northern Territory. Newcastle will most likely not get an AFL team anytime soon.

The order for new football teams would be this.

Tasmania
Canberra
3rd Perth
Albury-Wodonga
Darwin
North Queensland
Auckland
Wellington
Norwood
Christchurch
Ballarat
Bendigo
Port Melbourne
Port Moresby
Newcastle

There won't be another phase of expansion for at least 20 years. It's done for now. The League will now attempt to consolidate the recent expansion and league structure.

Unless the League revise its the competition's revenue sharing process, then I'd say folding or merger is more on the cards in the future than another expansion phase.

The expansionists need to let it go.

There won't be another phase of expansion for at least 20 years. It's done for now. The League will now attempt to consolidate the recent expansion and league structure.

Unless the League revise its the competition's revenue sharing process, then I'd say folding or merger is more on the cards in the future than another expansion phase.

The expansionists need to let it go.

I'm not really taking things seriously.

There is a history of Australian Football in Newcastle going way back, but we need to bed down our other frontiers before we even think of this. 50 years time maybe.

I would suggest the AFL should keep their sights solely on ensuring that GC and GWS are still around in 5 years time and heading towards self-sufficiency rather than further expansion.

The GC has never been able to support a team on the national stage over the long term in any code ever. I think it must be something in the water up there, failed business enterprises and the Gold Coast go hand in hand.

The Swans are 30 years in the building...and in that time they went through a relocation (where many of their players still lived and trained in Melbourne), Edelston and pink helicopters, near insolvency and bailouts, periods where you couldn't give away seats to games and finally stability and competitiveness punctuated by a premiership.

Not sure the AFL is ready to play sugar daddy to another team until their current investments start to show a return.

I would suggest the AFL should keep their sights solely on ensuring that GC and GWS are still around in 5 years time and heading towards self-sufficiency rather than further expansion.

The GC has never been able to support a team on the national stage over the long term in any code ever. I think it must be something in the water up there, failed business enterprises and the Gold Coast go hand in hand.

The Swans are 30 years in the building...and in that time they went through a relocation (where many of their players still lived and trained in Melbourne), Edelston and pink helicopters, near insolvency and bailouts, periods where you couldn't give away seats to games and finally stability and competitiveness punctuated by a premiership.

Not sure the AFL is ready to play sugar daddy to another team until their current investments start to show a return.

I have to agree with this. After taking a big risk and big change occuring with GC and GWS, the competition needs a period of prolonged stability now. It will take 2 years for the draft to return to normal, another couple before the new teams are legitimately competitive and 10-15 years before they establish genuine support and can start to consider being self-sufficient. I can't see any expansion until at least 2025-2030, and even then it will be more likely to be a relocation (remote in itself) than expansion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back