Your top 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
In response to viewing the intense debate in relation to KOMPANY's top 20 players in the world - I ask each person to do their own... Lets make the criteria on last years form (i.e. second half of the 05/06 campaign, World Cup and first half of 06/07 campaign.)

Heres my very rough initial go at it. I will edit over the coming days

1) Ronaldinho
2) Christiano Ronaldo
3) Samuel Eto'o
4) Thierry Henry
5) Frank Lampard
6) Kaka
7) Dani Alves
8) John Terry
9) Steven Gerrard
10) Michael Essien
11) Miroslav Klose
12) Gianluca Zambrotta
13) Petr Cech
14) David Villa
15) Nemanja Vidic
16) Phillip Lahm
17) Kolo Toure
18) Paul Scholes
19) Francesco Totti
20) Juninho Pernambucano / Cesc Fabregas
Forgive me if there are some glaring omissions - Please point these out - N/T and DB

1. Ronaldinho
2. Samuel Eto'o
3. Thierry Henry
4. Cristiano Ronaldo
5. Fabio Cannavaro
6. Francesco Totti
7. Daniel Alves
8. David Villa
9. John Terry
10. Jens Lehmann
11. Didier Drogba
12. Cesc Fabregas
13. Miroslav Klose
14. Andres Iniesta
15. Diego Milito
16. Gianluigi Buffon
17. Kolo Toure
18. Juninho Pernambucano
19. Rafael van der Vaart
20. Daniel Carvalho

Feel free to have a whinge, Nip/Tuck.

Dude that is far, far better than the other list and even though I don't watch as much football from other leagues as you do I can appreciate the quality of many you've selected. The list is that satisfying I can even excuse your hate for poor Frank Lampard.

1. Ronaldinho

Even though he had a bad World Cup and had a bad period at the start of this season there's no player who's had a consistent year who has played more quality football than Ronaldinho. Fair enough. I see he's scored 9 in LaLiga this season (not sure if he scored in last nights game) so the production is there this season even if his best form isn't.

2. Samuel Eto'o

Barca won the Champions League and he was an integral part. Missed a bit of football but his importance to Barca shouldn't be underestimated they looked unthreatening against Chelsea compared to the danger they portray when he's playing. (similar to Essien missing last season for them)

Could go either way with him and Henry though.

3. Thierry Henry

Same as Eto'o plus a good World Cup which obviously Essien could do nothing about. Although taking a penalty for your country may actually help.

4. Cristiano Ronaldo

Excellent World Cup. Great season this, average last.

Don't know if I'd have him at four but each to their own.

5. Fabio Cannavaro

I take it you're disregarding his Real Madrid form some reason because if you aren't then his selection at five is strange.

6. Francesco Totti

I don't doubt this guys quality and I can cope with him making the 20. Didn't do anything special at the World Cup but seems to have been in solid form in Serie Irrelevant. Needs to do more in the Champions League though.

7. Daniel Alves

Haven't seen him play much but I'll take the word of majority on here for this one. Fair enough.

8. David Villa

Had a very good year, no problem.

9. John Terry

Nothing less than he deserves. Although there's nothing between him Gallas, Carvalho and Toure on the year imo.

10. Jens Lehmann

Probably had his worst month of the year in December but for the other 11 months was the best keeper in the world. No question. Buffon is the more fashionable choice but Lehmann was better.

11. Didier Drogba

I've honestly forgotten how he played in the second half of last season but I think he was in one game out the other which didn't help. Definitely worthy of a place in the 20 from June onwards. Has been brilliant.

12. Cesc Fabregas

I'm honestly a big fan of Fabregas and I wouldn't have him ahead of a select trio but I can take it because he had a good year and was consistent even if there were some who were better. Will be number one within 4 or 5 years anyway, you could've held back the love.

13. Miroslav Klose

Not sure how he's going this season in Germany but he's a quality striker and I'm sure he's scoring goals as he always seems to do. Reminds me a bit of RVN.

14. Andres Iniesta

Very good young player and ridiculously suits Barca's team and their style of play. Haven't seen much of him so I couldn't tell you much about him but I'm a fan. Welcome at Villa. :thumbsu:

15. Diego Milito

Honestly know litte about him so I can't comment.

16. Gianluigi Buffon

Don't agree considering he's playing in Italy's version of Coke football.

17. Kolo Toure

Brilliant player. Made one mistake all year against Sheffield United in like the last game of the year. (although considering Rio was deemed ineligible by the Birmingham dude because of such....)

18. Juninho Pernambucano

Obviously don't see much French league football which seems exciting everytime I see it btw but the Champions League performances of this guy are enough.

19. Rafael van der Vaart

Always been a fan of this guy and he's proving himself in the third best league in the world.

20. Daniel Carvalho

ahh good one. First I saw of him was I think the super cup game against Liverpool and I honestly couldn't believe how good he was. He'd be a very good signing for any of the big 4. (Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United, Newcastle)

Is he more of a central player or a winger?

Feel free to have a whinge, Nip/Tuck.

Actually no. At least I can appreciate the quality of players you selected from the international leagues unlike that ranking of 'Italy's best performers in the World Cup 1-20 list.'

1) Ronaldinho
2) Christiano Ronaldo
3) Samuel Eto'o
4) Thierry Henry

Already commented on these dudes and I reckon they're a pretty deserving four. Same top four as DB10.

5) Frank Lampard

No question he deserves to be ranked so highly his performances warrant such recognition. Take him out of the Chelsea midfield and they'd really struggle for goals imo.

Wouldn't have him so high but he has been brilliant in the Champions League this season and was close to Brazil's best player in the World Cup so maybe I'm wrong in this instance.

7) Dani Alves

Already commented. Good selection.

8) John Terry

No less respect than he deserves. Chelsea's capitulation since his injury shouldn't be understated.

9) Steven Gerrard

Hasn't had his best season to date and like Lampard didn't have the best World Cup but 3/4 of the year was very productive for him.

10) Michael Essien

Probably 2/3 of the year Essien has been exceptional. Had an incredible season and great World Cup.

11) Gianluca Zambrotta

Fair enough. Haven't been impressed with him for Barca but haven't watched him much either.

13) Petr Cech

His abscence in Chelsea's team shouldn't be ignored either. Very commanding keeper, also a brilliant shot stopper.

15) Nemanja Vidic

Solid second half of last season.

Serbia's defence was superb before the World Cup.

He was injured at the World Cup.

Has been immense this season.

16) Phillip Lahm

Double sided full back of quality. :thumbsu:

18) Paul Scholes

Not sure about this one. Personally don't he's played enough.

Very good list as well.

No Materazzi either :thumbsu:

Going from January 2006 to January 2007

1- Ronaldinho
Had a poor W/C through no fault of his own as he was being played out of position, but won the C/L and La Liga by June and has scored plenty of goals this season so far and is starting to find form again. Best player in the world.

2- Thierry Henry
Decent W/C and was exceptional for arsenal from january-may leading them to the C/L final. If i'm not mistaken he played every game after arsenal was knocked out of the F.A cup in january, magnificent effort and he kept scoring as well. always stiff to miss out on award nominations

3- Cristiano Ronaldo
Along with Messi is the most exciting talent in the game. Was scintillating in the world cup and has been no less than that since then.

4- Samuel Eto'o
Injury hurt his position but was my pick to win world player of the year before he went down, the main reason why barca won back to back la liga's and won the C/L with 30 odd goals

5- John Terry
The Nucleus & Heart of Chelsea and by their recent form also the key to victory, when a team is so star studded as Chelsea is you usually expect them to be able to cover for any position, yet they have struggled bigtime without terry... sure if lampard or drogba went down they would struggle but they would cope. John Terry is irreplacable

6- Deco
Perhaps the choice that will make alot of you go :confused: and say "what a bias fool" but seriously this dude's 2006 was as good as anyone's. Was an integral part of our successful La Liga title defence and was the driving force behind the Champions League campaign and infact picked up the Most Valuable player award for the 05/06 competition. His world cup was good but not spectacular. I still believe he is the most creative midfielder in the world and i challenge anyone to disagree with me on that point.

7- Frank Lampard
Cops it all the time but the facts are in stone he is a class act, below par world cup but hay heaps of the worlds stars struggled in Germany

8- Jens Lehmann
Keeper's are seriously underated, this bloke got arsenal to the C/L final and he got germany through to the semi's in the W/C, looks at times like he will go off the rails but has been nothing short of superb this year

9- Fabio Cannavaro
Unbelievable World Cup... Basically covered the Role of two CB's when Nesta went down and Materazzi came in. Materazzi spent his time sneaking foward leaving Fabio on his own, or Marco was either getting carded or getting headbutted.. but then again has been pathetic at Real and made another blunder overnight costing them another goal, i don't know where to put him but he deserves to be there.

10- Juninho
Anyone want to know why Lyon has won like the last 5000 French Titles?? Juninho Pernambucano, this guy is unreal and i have a feeling this Juninho led Lyon train might steam straight through Europe and be holding up the Champions League Trophy this coming May. This bloke sends down missiles and is a free kick machine

11- Kaka
12- David Villa
13- Francesco Totti
14- Carles Puyol
15- Didier Drogba
16- Dani Alves
17- Kolo Toure
18- Cesc Fabregas
19- Miroslav Klose
20- Michael Essien

I just dont get all the hype about Essein. Hes OK but to suggest hes like the best player in the world or even in the top 10 is stupid.

Lehmann top 5 :eek: . I wouldnt even have him in the top 5 keepers in the world never mind top 5 players overall. Hes probably not even in the top 5 keepers in the Prelim ffs. Another player who is seriously overrated. Ill do a top 10

1. Christiano Ronaldo (im adding the H) - Best player by so far it isnt even funny. If he is ever sold it will break the transfer record for sure
2. Ronaldinho - Yeh. You know. Flashy and great. A good combo
3. Kaka - I love him, good form this season and could surpass Ronaldinho I think
4. Fabio Cannavaro - Best CB in the world. Enough said
5. John Terry - Never rated him til he stopped playing. Chelsea suck without him
6. Didier Drogba - Would be first if he played like this all the time. Best striker in the world.
7. Gianluigi Buffon - Best keeper in the world.
8. Juninho - Similar to Kaka love watching him play
9. Cesc Fabregas - Seriously underrated by everyone but Arsenal fans I think
10. Carlos Puyol - Should of had him higher. This list shows its easier to be a great defender then a great striker :D

Unlucky : Eto Henry Zambrotta

Im sure Carlitos Tevez will be in this list in a year or two :thumbsu:

i do actually believe buffon is the best and most skilled keeper in the world, but i just can't put him in there because he is playing 2nd standard football, lehmann has just had an exceptionally good year

I need think music...this is bloody hard but I'll give it a go.

1. Ronaldinho
2. Thierry Henry
3. Kaka
4. Didier Drogba
5. Fabio Cannavaro
6. Juninho
7. Samuel Eto'o
8. Cristiano Ronaldo
9. Daniel Alves
10. Miroslav Klose
11. Ruud van Nistelrooy
12. Steven Gerrard
13. Deco
14. Ricardo Carvalho
15. Phillipp Lahm
16. Lucho Gonzalez
17. Frank Lampard
18. Michael Essien
19. Jesus Navas
20. Gianluigi Buffon

Totti left due to personal bias. :cool:

lol, I completely forgot about Kaka and Deco. Oh well.

I think I've said this before, the best players are attacking players.

It's those guys who make the difference in the game. It's 10 times harder to dribble past a player than to make one not get past you, it's 10 times harder to score a goal than to prevent one from scoring...

Therefor no Terry, Cannavaro or Buffon, although they're probably close or are the world's best in their position. I'd be tempted to consider footballing centre backs like Marquez, Lucio, Chivu or Kompany who often come out of defence and, being really good at the ball, dictate play (while strictly defensively none of them is in Terry's league for example), but I don't think one of them has been that significant this year.

It's too hard to compare players when they're in different positions, in different leagues for different teams playing different tactics and all hitting form at different times for different reasons... That's a bit too much for the Kompany!

My choices are based on impressions, bias undoubtedly (although I do my best not to have any) and limited knowledge since for example today is only the first time I got to see Matias Fernandez, South American player of the year 2006.

Joe Cole
Good skill, good eye for goal and enjoyable to watch.
Should leave Chelsea though.

Juninho Pernambucano
Quite likely the world's greatest free kick taker ever added to tactical brilliance and a great passing game. Wouldn't mind seeing him lift the CL cup in may.

Kaka
Amazing how he makes it all look so easy!

Cristiano Ronaldo
Potential world's best player in the near future. Looks like he's at the right club too.

Daniel Alves
The only defender in my top 20, and that for all but his (not super) defensive qualities. When watching Sevilla you look out for 2 things. The whole Sevilla team and him. The perfect addition to an already attacking and beautiful football playing midfield and at 23 there's much more to come!

Deco
Fantastic if you love him, highly irritating if you hate him. I can't stand his diving and for a player his size he knows very well how to hurt opponents, but most importantly he's still one of the world's best in central midfield dribbling past players, firing great shots and always being involved when Barcelona play their favourite quick (one-time) short passing game which is still the world's best.

Drogba
Not my type of player (my nightmare is football in 20 years will be played by 90% tall and muscular players who make it through their physique much more than technique) but in his form of the last couple of months he's simply up there next to Henry and Eto'o, in his own way.

Essien
Not a fan, but can't deny him :mad: . Has clearly been one of the best midfielders lately.

Eto'o
Quick, strong, a great striker and most of all a great team player today. Fits perfectly into Barcelona's quick passing game and as much as he scores goals, he also creates them. Hope he finds his form quickly after he gets fit, he's heavily missed.

Fabregas
Probably biased, but I just love players like him. He's the kind of player I and hopefully many others watch football for. Clearly made the right decision in joining Arsenal.

Gerrard
Didn't have the best of years maybe, but can't leave him out. Pure technically limited but does that even matter when you can run, tackle, pass and shoot like he does? Nobody's perfect. Would be curious to see how he does abroad though.

Henry
If I'd have to pick one out of Eto'o/Henry/Drogba I'd still pick him, but I'd rather not. Has for some reason the ridiculous label of being a choker in big games, but truth is, he's not a pure out and out striker and judging him on goals only is unfair. Getting a year older again, I hope he can keep his shape for at least a couple more years. And oh, no more of those tantrums like straight after the CL final please ;) .

Iniesta
Maybe the world's hidden star at the moment considering the little attention he still gets compared to the likes of Fabregas and Messi, this 22 year old has all but played Catalunia's favourite son Xavi out of the Barcelona XI. Clever player, hard worker and a tremendous passer of the ball.

Messi
My favourite player and imo the ultimate symbol of what the game is all about. Far from perfect and still very young and unexperienced (hasn't even played a full la liga season yet) but runs with a ball like no one else. It's as if he's quicker and better than anyone else playing with the ball.
I think it's disgraceful how players like Del Horno, Ashley Cole and Emerson have been trying to stop him by ordinary hacking. It doesn't only show the enormous gap in pure quality between him and those butchers, but it sadly also shows how bad the game is being refereed.
It's angered me how some called him a diver after Del Horno tried to kick him off the field 3 times in the space of a couple of minutes or how people think Ashley Cole played a good game keeping him out of the match by kicking him from behind every time the ball got near him. Not good :thumbsdown: .

Pirlo
Great player and really stepped up for his country in the last 2 and most important matches of the WC. Also one of the best set piece takers around.

Robben
Although quite controversial, Robben's probably the world's best winger today. Clearly Holland's best player at the moment, I hope he leaves Chelsea still being young enough so we can see him do what he's good at. With the ball down the line, attack, attack and only attack.

Ronaldinho
Still the best imo. Does get into trouble when manmarked by a butcher, but nobody's perfect. Was Barcelona's best player winning la liga and CL and has carried the team this season with the absence of Eto'o and Messi. A poor world cup? If you're honest, no. He looked poor, but only because we were all expecting him to be at the top of his game. He was average, didn't do as bad as some say (just stuck to team slavery), while he was all but helped by Brazil's team hierarchy.

Totti
Love him or hate him, the guy's top!
[youtube]9yCMHOkwdmU[/youtube]

Villa
Speaking of Barcelona missing Eto'o, how does Valencia miss this guy when he's not around! A pure goalscorer, smart, quick, inventive, opportunist... very close to the real top, good enough for me.

Zidane
Hasn't been consistent (but there you have it, consistency is something I don't look for in picking players when you can select players on pure brilliance) - truth is he's been very absent since the world cup, but for those few times he got on top of his game again last year and again looked like the world's best, he simply deserves to be here.

I just dont get all the hype about Essein. Hes OK but to suggest hes like the best player in the world or even in the top 10 is stupid.

Lehmann top 5 :eek: . I wouldnt even have him in the top 5 keepers in the world never mind top 5 players overall. Hes probably not even in the top 5 keepers in the Prelim ffs. Another player who is seriously overrated. Ill do a top 10

1. Christiano Ronaldo (im adding the H) - Best player by so far it isnt even funny. If he is ever sold it will break the transfer record for sure
2. Ronaldinho - Yeh. You know. Flashy and great. A good combo
3. Kaka - I love him, good form this season and could surpass Ronaldinho I think
4. Fabio Cannavaro - Best CB in the world. Enough said
5. John Terry - Never rated him til he stopped playing. Chelsea suck without him
6. Didier Drogba - Would be first if he played like this all the time. Best striker in the world.
7. Gianluigi Buffon - Best keeper in the world.
8. Juninho - Similar to Kaka love watching him play
9. Cesc Fabregas - Seriously underrated by everyone but Arsenal fans I think
10. Carlos Puyol - Should of had him higher. This list shows its easier to be a great defender then a great striker :D

Unlucky : Eto Henry Zambrotta

Im sure Carlitos Tevez will be in this list in a year or two :thumbsu:

The two unlucky ones of eto and henry would go before kaka, cannavoro, and Terry. There is no way those two can ever miss out at top 10.

And buffon, which league does he play for! Compare that league to EPL OR SPANISH then you can say that he is good. Of course he would be good if his playing in the italian league. You dont have stars as much as the other too. And even in the world cup, what did he do in the final. 1 save from a header from zidane and thats it. Penalty shots. Did you see one save from Buffon.No. The french made a mockery out of him. Compare him To Lehman who saved 3-4 and talk. Buffon would be 2nd to Lehman right now.

The two unlucky ones of eto and henry would go before kaka, cannavoro, and Terry. There is no way those two can ever miss out at top 10.

And buffon, which league does he play for! Compare that league to EPL OR SPANISH then you can say that he is good. Of course he would be good if his playing in the italian league. You dont have stars as much as the other too. And even in the world cup, what did he do in the final. 1 save from a header from zidane and thats it. Penalty shots. Did you see one save from Buffon.No. The french made a mockery out of him. Compare him To Lehman who saved 3-4 and talk. Buffon would be 2nd to Lehman right now.

The bolded comment is without doubt one of the stupidest things I've ever ever read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but the French really did make a mockery of his 'keeping in that shootout.

Fancy not being able to consistently save a 100km thunderbolt with no pressure from 12 yards. Bloody Buffon. Hopeless. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but the French really did make a mockery of his 'keeping in that shootout.

Fancy not being able to consistently save a 100km thunderbolt with no pressure from 12 yards. Bloody Buffon. Hopeless. :rolleyes:

and they call him the best keeper in the world. :thumbsdown:

and they call him the best keeper in the world. :thumbsdown:

I was being sarcastic. Along with Cech, he IS the best 'keeper in the world.

Well they did. Unless you didnot see it yourself.

I hardly think you can say they made a mockery of him just because he didn't save any penalties. It's complete luck if a 'keeper saves them. If the penalty taker hits it well enough, then the 'keeper has no chance at all. All the 'keeper can do is guess right, and hope the kicker hits it badly.

Besides which he only conceded 2 goals in the whole campaign. One was an own-goal and one was a penalty. Hardly a mockery.

I hardly think you can say they made a mockery of him just because he didn't save any penalties. It's complete luck if a 'keeper saves them. If the penalty taker hits it well enough, then the 'keeper has no chance at all. All the 'keeper can do is guess right, and hope the kicker hits it badly.

Besides which he only conceded 2 goals in the whole campaign. One was an own-goal and one was a penalty. Hardly a mockery.

It was all luck for buffolo.

You just said it was a mockery in your other post before. How do you go from one opinion to another.

Giantroo - Buffon is a quality keeper. Despite not saving a penalty in the World Cup final (Ive never seen better penalties taken by any team ever in a shootout - i.e. no keeper would have saved them) he is as good as they come.

Giantroo - Buffon is a quality keeper. Despite not saving a penalty in the World Cup final (Ive never seen better penalties taken by any team ever in a shootout - i.e. no keeper would have saved them) he is as good as they come.

I know his a good keeper, but ive seen better penalty savers than he is. Perhaps our Lehman or Portugals keeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back