Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
He is an astonishing player. He debuted back in 1988, when several of his team-mates and now opponents were not even a glint in their father's eye. The Berlin Wall stood, the VN commodore was just being brought out, and looking through the 'allthestats.com' website, counting the team-mates he has played with, it amounts to an amazing 197 players that have shared playing in a team with R.Harvey. His longevity is incredible, i doubt we will see anything like this amazing span of playing ever again.

His back to back Brownlows were in 1997-98, almost 10 years after his debut, and he is still playing 10 years later! I'm not sure how many player the saints have ever had don the guernsey in their history (Geelong has a bit over 1000 i think in the same number of years), but Robert must have played with at least 15% of every Saint to have played. It will be the passing of a great era when he finally hangs up the boots. A true professional player. For many fans on this site who may not have been born at the time of his debut, the span of his career is mind-boggling. He has been playing for half MY lifetime!

Re: Amazing Robert Harvey

he has teammates that weren't born yet when he debuted....

that is astonishing, and he is still getting kicks and playing well.

Handy player and bloke that one!

Amazing to think how much the world has changed since he first pulled on the Saints guernsey.

He's a machine.

It's just amazing to think he actually debuted 2 years before i was born. True champion. Scariest thing is, he could probably go another year if he pleased.

Amazing to think how much the world has changed since he first pulled on the Saints guernsey.

He's a machine.

Amazing to think how much the AFL has changed since he first pulled on the Saints guernsey.

He's a machine.

Amazing to think how much machines have changed since he first pulled on the Saints guernsey.

He's a ... oh wait, that doesn't work.

It's just amazing to think he actually debuted 2 years before i was born. True champion. Scariest thing is, he could probably go another year if he pleased.

same as me mate, born 1990, 2 years afta!
i think he can go on, still racks up the possies, absolute LEGEND!!
hope saints can dig deep and give him a great farwell!!

Mike Sheahan wrote an article the other day saying how much things have changed from the '89 grand final to the Hawks Cats round 17 clash. It's amazing to think how much football has changed in that time and yet Harves has been there through it all.

What an absolutely phenomenal player he is, I am dreading the day he retires from footy. I encourage others, like me, to watch as much of the bloke as you can whilst he's still around :(

Excellent player, have enjoyed watching him play for as long as I can remember!

I thought he was going to die on the field this weekend just gone though, that tackle really messed him up it seemed. Sickening footage of him shaking on the floor. Just tough as nails the old fella.

I want him to break Tucks record. Absolute gun. Doesn't look like hanging up the boots any time soon.

Just noticed as well that his debut was against the Bulldogs, August 6 1988. So tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of his debut. That is SIX Olympics ago, they were in Seoul that year, the year Ben Johnson was done for drug cheating.

I watch him play, and he just knows where to go to get the ball, and for him to remain a constant in a game that has evolved so much over this time is phenominal. Indeed, the 50 metre arcs were only brought in a year or two before he started, and just imagine all the rule changes he's had to get his head around in that time! Great loyal Saints player, a true champion of the game. Still playing great footy after all this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Catsace's deserved tribute to the great man speaks well of his sportsmanship. How appropriate that such a poster should choose to recognise one of like mind. Well done those two men.

Never saw Harvey do anything dirty, unless you count making opponents look stupid as he stepped around them, leaving them foundering in his wake. His enormous contribution to the game will only be fully understood once he's no longer playing. A lot of younger players have much to learn from the way in which he has conducted himself. Is there anybody on these boards who seriously thinks this man has made even one enemy in all of his years in footy?

Aww thanks for that Skilts! Going by your username, you obviously have great respect for another great of the game, not totally dissimilar to Harvey in that he played for many seasons without a premiership, although in Skilton's case he had just a singular final for his great career. Three Brownlows though and numerous club B & F's speak volumes though.

I think already Harvey has just about the longest span of playing ever, Ted Whitten started in 1951 and retired in 1970, but that was back in the days of 18 game seasons. Tuck played senior footy from 1972 until 1991, after playing some reserves footy in his first couple of years, but he had years and years of finals to bump up his games tally to the mind-boggling 426. His record is also beyond belief. It's just the sacrifice, the pre-seasons, the training that these players are willing to do for the love of playing. Admittedly today's players get well compensated, but the Saints have got full value out of their champion in Robert Harvey.

It's certainly amazing the way he's adapted to the modern game, or is it that the modern game has adapted to the way Harvey plays? Either way, his longevity is incredible, and I would echo the sentiment that he could easily go round for another year at this rate. It's amazing that he's still racking up the disposals today, still creating space and still lacing off those perfectly weighted short passes.

But yeah, I was born about a week before Harvey debuted in 1988. I haven't known anything other than Robert Harvey playing footy, he's been a constant while the dynamics of footy have changed around him. In a lot of ways, it will be something of an end of an era when he retires, as from what I gather he's the last player who played in the VFL days.

Started by a Geelong supporter and most of the responses have been by non Saints says it all really.
Champion player and Champoin man.
Well done Harvs!!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

looking through the 'allthestats.com' website, counting the team-mates he has played with, it amounts to an amazing 197 players that have shared playing in a team with R.Harvey

I make it 210, but no matter. There's no player I admire more than R.Harvey, including Richo.

One of the few player that deserve to be part of a winning GF team, lets hope the saints can finally get there s**t together and have a good crack at winning the big one.
The term champion gets bandied about (along with the statement "the term champion gets bandied about") but he is truley a champion of the game.

Retirement Announcement Today...

Rumor is that it is Robert Harvey or Nigel Lappin...

If it is banger, i hope it is not immediate, rather 'at seasons end' - however if it is immediate, i can only assume it is as a result of the concussion from the weekend; maybe it is worse than we thought? IF so, it would be a shattering way to end the career of one of the all time greats.. But, we shall wait and see.

Re: Retirement Announcement Today...

According to SEN, St Kilda will have a presser at 10:30 to announce he will retire at the end of the season.

Hopefully that's true (the end of season part) and we get to give the greatest Saint the send off he deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back