Review Carlton's NAB Cup - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Really happy with our showing, could've won the second game against a rampaging premiership side.

1. Walker: Quiet in the first game but really showed how much he can give to the side as a forward. The more game time he gets in the forward line, the more his decision making will improve...Athletic and has presence, not a bad kick off either foot on occasion :thumbsu:

2. Russel: Had stints in the midfield but looked at home down back and showed us a continuation of his 2011 form...needs to be a tiny bit more damaging.

3. Murphy:
Did well in the first game (only one he played) and you feel comfortable when he has the ball in hand.

4. Gibbs: Didn't notice him much, limited game time though....got a bit more of it towards the end of the Pies game.

6. Simpson: Solid contribution, will be better for the run.

9. Lucas: Showed he's a handy utility type player and a polished midfielder...once he really gets into the swing of the pace of AFL and strings a good series of games together he'll flourish....tidy skills, good pace, good overhead :thumbsu:

10. Watson:
Loved the kick ins, good athleticism for a big guy and noticed all over the ground, good signs! Got outmarked by that big Keefe fellow which won't happen once he knows how to use his 'Cordy Upgraded Body'

11. Warnock:
Was all over the ground, great to see...the players seem happy enough to have him kick it (unlike other rucks). Got rested second game.

12. Robinson:
Good in the clinches, tough and seems to have worked on his running and decision making. There's a noticeable shift in how good we play when he's on song.

13. Yarran: Sublime, loved what I saw of him on the HBF....Krakeour (sp?) was lucky to get a goal on him...Yaz was also very happy to create something and although it didn't work sometimes, it's something we really lack (just ask Wallsy)

15. Laidler: Good tackling, pressure, kicking...Marking is a bit off but tried. Very pleased of what I saw from Jez and looked at home in our back 6. Think we've got a good'un

17. O'hAilpin: Nice mark at the start of game 1, showed he's a solid option in the forward line if we need him...Hurt an ankle, didn't look too bad, should be good by round 1 if we need him.

18. Bower: Good run, moving much more freely from last time I saw him. Solid game from DJ Pauly B

19. Betts: Things happen when he's around the ball, got better the longer he played. Almost took some good marks and kicked a nice goal (did that one go through? :p)

22. Hampson: Liked his tap work, won most of the hitouts where I paid attention. Needs to start sticking his marks.

26. McInnes: Very happy with what I saw....matched it with Harry O in one contest and laid a tackle straight after that really stuck, very handy player who may very well see senior games this year and will be one to look out for in the future.

27. Armfield: Works well in the midfield, kicking to up and under at times and inaccurate at other times...he makes up for this in speed and defensive capabilities. Was better than Joseph who I see as his competition for the tagging role.

28. Cachia: WHAT A SLAM TACKLE! WILL YOUTUBE SOON! Otherwise, was a bit iffy with decision making and didn't really put himself in the spotlight as much as Twomey or Curnow did.

29. Scotland: Good ol' Scotto, nice pass to Carlos...You know what you'll get from him. Will flourish once Judd, Murph, Gibbs, Simpson are all beside him.

31. Davies: Let him and Duigan fight it out for the other HBF role...Beautiful tackling and good overhead, good size and hunger! Is versatile but probably lacks the polish in disposal that Duigan has. Nice player to have on your list though ;)

32. Thornton:
Solid in defence, cleans up well and nice skills...not sure if he followed the game plan which is ultimately his downfall. Hope he can really push for a spot in 2011...served us well in the dark times.

34. Duigan: Got caught trailing on a lead versus Richmond once and found that he cannot simply plough through people like he did in the SANFL, very happy with him though...loves a thumping spoil and has clean skills, his kicks are well directed and weighted. I won't bore you with more man crush stories.

35. Curnow: LOVED THE INSIDE PACK WORK! Looked at home out there, didn't see much of him though :(

36. Kerr: Loved the prawn, showed he's one for the future. Will get better and better as his endurance builds, looks like he loved being out in front of the big crowd and this should drive him to get better and better.

39. Twomey: Good composure and will be very handy depth, looks likely to get an elevation and very nice pass to Betts :thumbsu: Nice courage too and he'll be hurting in the morning.

40. Jamison: The usual Jamo in defense, should really stay in defense and only go for goal when he's 1m out :D:p

41. Casboult: Terrible shot for goal, hopefully he was spent from running and didn't think that ball drop through. Dropped some easy marks too....This will be a good match for him to watch and improve on through the Ants in 2011. I was hoping for a bit more :S

42. Tuohy: Very happy to see him hold his own against the reigning premiers and was serviceable. Plays like a natural, unbelievable transformation...actually bigger than I would've imagined.

45. Joseph: Not bad, not good....doesn't provide enough to the side, wouldn't mind seeing him in the 22 here and there though.

46. Ellard:
Gets the pill and handy around the clinches, would like to see his tackle stats as that would sway me from thinking his kicking lets him down too much.

47. Carter: Knows he has a good kick, didn't see enough though (ie. wasn't on ground much)

Also worth a mention

WHEN WILL JAMO GET HIS FIRST GOAL????

Scotland only played against Richmond, did fine for the first run.

Duigan, Curnow, Laidler, Warnock, Murphy, Cachia, Ellard, Twomey, Lucas and Watson really impressed me.

1. Walker: Quiet in the first game but really showed how much he can give to the side as a forward. The more game time he gets in the forward line, the more his decision making will improve...Athletic and has presence, not a bad kick off either foot on occasion :thumbsu:

2. Russel: Had stints in the midfield but looked at home down back and showed us a continuation of his 2011 form...needs to be a tiny bit more damaging.

3. Murphy:
Did well in the first game (only one he played) and you feel comfortable when he has the ball in hand.

4. Gibbs: Didn't notice him much, limited game time though....got a bit more of it towards the end of the Pies game.

6. Simpson: Solid contribution, will be better for the run.

9. Lucas: Showed he's a handy utility type player and a polished midfielder...once he really gets into the swing of the pace of AFL and strings a good series of games together he'll flourish....tidy skills, good pace, good overhead :thumbsu:

10. Watson:
Loved the kick ins, good athleticism for a big guy and noticed all over the ground, good signs! Got outmarked by that big Keefe fellow which won't happen once he knows how to use his 'Cordy Upgraded Body'

11. Warnock:
Was all over the ground, great to see...the players seem happy enough to have him kick it (unlike other rucks). Got rested second game.

12. Robinson:
Good in the clinches, tough and seems to have worked on his running and decision making. There's a noticeable shift in how good we play when he's on song.

13. Yarran: Sublime, loved what I saw of him on the HBF....Krakeour (sp?) was lucky to get a goal on him...Yaz was also very happy to create something and although it didn't work sometimes, it's something we really lack (just ask Wallsy)

15. Laidler: Good tackling, pressure, kicking...Marking is a bit off but tried. Very pleased of what I saw from Jez and looked at home in our back 6. Think we've got a good'un

17. O'hAilpin: Nice mark at the start of game 1, showed he's a solid option in the forward line if we need him...Hurt an ankle, didn't look too bad, should be good by round 1 if we need him.

18. Bower: Good run, moving much more freely from last time I saw him. Solid game from DJ Pauly B

19. Betts: Things happen when he's around the ball, got better the longer he played. Almost took some good marks and kicked a nice goal (did that one go through? :p)

22. Hampson: Liked his tap work, won most of the hitouts where I paid attention. Needs to start sticking his marks.

26. McInnes: Very happy with what I saw....matched it with Harry O in one contest and laid a tackle straight after that really stuck, very handy player who may very well see senior games this year and will be one to look out for in the future.

27. Armfield: Works well in the midfield, kicking to up and under at times and inaccurate at other times...he makes up for this in speed and defensive capabilities. Was better than Joseph who I see as his competition for the tagging role.

28. Cachia: WHAT A SLAM TACKLE! WILL YOUTUBE SOON! Otherwise, was a bit iffy with decision making and didn't really put himself in the spotlight as much as Twomey or Curnow did.

29. Scotland: Good ol' Scotto, nice pass to Carlos...You know what you'll get from him. Will flourish once Judd, Murph, Gibbs, Simpson are all beside him.

31. Davies: Let him and Duigan fight it out for the other HBF role...Beautiful tackling and good overhead, good size and hunger! Is versatile but probably lacks the polish in disposal that Duigan has. Nice player to have on your list though ;)

32. Thornton:
Solid in defence, cleans up well and nice skills...not sure if he followed the game plan which is ultimately his downfall. Hope he can really push for a spot in 2011...served us well in the dark times.

34. Duigan: Got caught trailing on a lead versus Richmond once and found that he cannot simply plough through people like he did in the SANFL, very happy with him though...loves a thumping spoil and has clean skills, his kicks are well directed and weighted. I won't bore you with more man crush stories.

35. Curnow: LOVED THE INSIDE PACK WORK! Looked at home out there, didn't see much of him though :(

36. Kerr: Loved the prawn, showed he's one for the future. Will get better and better as his endurance builds, looks like he loved being out in front of the big crowd and this should drive him to get better and better.

39. Twomey: Good composure and will be very handy depth, looks likely to get an elevation and very nice pass to Betts :thumbsu: Nice courage too and he'll be hurting in the morning.

40. Jamison: The usual Jamo in defense, should really stay in defense and only go for goal when he's 1m out :D:p

41. Casboult: Terrible shot for goal, hopefully he was spent from running and didn't think that ball drop through. Dropped some easy marks too....This will be a good match for him to watch and improve on through the Ants in 2011. I was hoping for a bit more :S

42. Tuohy: Very happy to see him hold his own against the reigning premiers and was serviceable. Plays like a natural, unbelievable transformation...actually bigger than I would've imagined.

45. Joseph: Not bad, not good....doesn't provide enough to the side, wouldn't mind seeing him in the 22 here and there though.

46. Ellard:
Gets the pill and handy around the clinches, would like to see his tackle stats as that would sway me from thinking his kicking lets him down too much.

47. Carter: Knows he has a good kick, didn't see enough though (ie. wasn't on ground much)

so who disappoints?
by reports bower and aj?

I thought AJ was hopeless in the first game but really good, really hard at it in the second. Redeemed himself.

Bower was ok and provided a heap of run, competed alright in the air. Still got left behind on the lead too often though, nowhere near as bad as last year but still too often.

Still, it's only week one of the NAB cup.

so who disappoints?
by reports bower and aj?

Being game one, we were very slow in general with our decision making... This can be fixed.

Some of our field kicking was terrible, both in decision making and the amount of time it took for the ball to travel( air time)...
This cannot be fixed.

Army Jamo Russell
Laidler Aussie Yarran

Plenty of run, good size and most importantly, good kicks, Army needs to lift...

I went and watched the game as an unbiased supporter tonight. Some of your recruits were impressive.

I was really impressed with Wayde Twomey, I thought he showed great composure and decision making.

Hopefully he will get elevated onto the main list to show what he is made of in the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought AJ was hopeless in the first game but really good, really hard at it in the second. Redeemed himself.

Bower was ok and provided a heap of run, competed alright in the air. Still got left behind on the lead too often though, nowhere near as bad as last year but still too often.

Still, it's only week one of the NAB cup.
having watched game 1 and about to do 2 these 2 r critical. Bower plays a key posi and AJ a key role. Both did not deliver in 2010 and as we can see all spots r up 4 grabs. deliver or PO should b how we play it

having watched game 1 and about to do 2 these 2 r critical. Bower plays a key posi and AJ a key role. Both did not deliver in 2010 and as we can see all spots r up 4 grabs. deliver or PO should b how we play it
Thanks celtic_pride...

Have you been drinking?

Dumb to pot Bower who was in and out of the side due to quad injuries.

Thanks celtic_pride...

Have you been drinking?

Dumb to pot Bower who was in and out of the side due to quad injuries.
gee G just going by reports.expext a lot i guess if fit

Just home from the game....
Loved Duigan and Watson's work along with Cachia cleaning up Nason in the first few minutes:D
The Blues looked quite quick which is good to see.
Jamo in the forward line,should never happen again!! Had he kicked the two he missed we would've beaten the Pies.
The game against the Tigers seemd we were just going through the motions until the second half then we kicked it up a cog.So much different to when we played the Pies much more hunger it seem to want to beat them.
Some really huge units in the Pies line up!! I guess much more noticable being closer on the smaller ground.
Bring on round one!!!:)

I was at the game too and mainly concerned with watching how the new boys went.

Laidler was the most impressive IMHO, the poise that he showed and his disposal were really impressive. If he can keep that up when the real stuff starts, I can see him being best 22 easily.

Lucas seems to have improved on what was a really good start last year. I think it was him that weighted that hand pass beautifully in the Richmond game for a certain goal to Kerr. To do that in traffic when the heat was coming from everywhere showed impressive instinctive smarts.

Watson impressed me with his kicking (naturally) but also his strength when the ball was on the ground. This guy has great strength in his legs and hips already, so when his upper body grows to match, look out!

Curnow looked to be at home in and under, but we were on the wing in the second tier stand so it was hard to see properly. He didn't seem to be on the ground much, did he get injured?

Kerr's performance in the Richmond game was excellent too. Kicked the goals he should have, missed everything once from a difficult angle, but what footy player hasn't done that? I agree with Zee, will definitely be one to watch as time goes on.

The others did some OK things but also some ordinary things and looked the way you'd expect first time players to look. They'll be better for the experience and will hopefully burn to get another crack and so improve on the areas they need to.

Think tonight showed that some people are getting far too carried away with Casboult's body shape, and seem to be less concerned on his ability to actually use it.

Still seeing the same issues I noticed in the VFL last year; Unreliable kick, doesn't use his size to advantage and obviously not the most mobile. Still needs a fair bit of work.

Must say I was pleasently surprised with Yarran's effectiveness playing back, but I'm still unsure whether or not I'd prefer to see him up forward...

Impressed by a lot of our young guys, who I don't get the chance to see.

Ellard would be the only real negative for me.

I say that because that is probably a decent to good game for him overall, yet his disposal is just not up to it if we're serious about improving this year.

Number 42 also looked a fair way off - surprised to see it was Tuohy, whom I had heard a lot of good reports on.

Yarran, Walker, Warnock in for big years I believe, and will form a lot of the improvement we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back