Preview Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 14th March 7.30PM @ MCG - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueNath

Debutant
Feb 28, 2023
AFL Club
Carlton
2e139cf85b2cce91_800

It’s personal
You usually become best friends with someone because you share a lot in common. Its true with my best mate as we do a lot together and share so many likes and dislikes. However, there is one thing that we never see eye-to-eye on. In fact, it will usually end in a stoush. You see, my mate is a diehard Tigers man. He also finds is hard to not know when to stop. So when the Tigers beat us, it can get unbearable. I have therefore always had this natural inclination to want to beat the Tigers above everyone else!

I know for most of you it’s either Essendon or Collingwood as our biggest rivals, that team you love to beat the most. But I think we need to add the Tigers into that discussion, because my mate reminds me often of the history between our two teams and they have stuck it up us when it counts more-so than any other team. Did you know, as I’ve been reminded countless times, that we have received more finals losses (16) to The Tigs than any other team. Unlike the Pies and Bombers, they have also inflicted four grand final losses on us (1921, 1932, 1969 and 1973)! We have only beaten them in two grand finals (1972 and 1982). On a side note: How good was the 72’ granny! We kicked the biggest score (and totals combined) ever at the big dance… 28.9 (177) to 22.18 (150)!! Insane.

For what feels like a millennia, my mate has had the better of our Blues v Tigers grudge matches. But the tide is turning! Its our time. We did it last year, and I can see us dominating them over the next 5 years or so. Geez I want to win this one.

Get to the game!
How good is it to be back at the G and having footy back in Melbourne! Im sure we get a massive 85,000+ crowd with a dominate Carlton number. The noise was surprising from the Blues Brothers at the Gabba. But the noise that was going on in those dying moments of the Melbourne semi was absolutely nuts! BT’s words still echo in my head… “Weitering the all or nothing kick to Hollands. Hollands to Docherty. Docherty takes a bounce. 55 meters out. Who’s going to get this? Up they fly. Acres has marked it! He plays on. Has he kicked a goal? He haaaas! Acres has done it again. He wins all the time. He doesn’t miss. The Blues are back in front by a point. (screaming Carlton euphoria) Goodness gracious, can you believe it? Can you believe it!?”. Best bloody feeling EVER!! If we can bring just half that noise to this game, it will lift the boys into the stratosphere!

What it means to our season
Its a bloody hard game. And our brand is more taxing than most. Its a longer year then ever. We know we are good enough to go deep. There is no doubt we are a mature enough group now to know we need to build into the year so we peak at the right time. Therefore, it would not be a disaster to drop this one. But I just don’t see that happening.

A lot has been made of our outs. As we seen in the Brissy game, if we play our way and everyone plays their role, we can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. If we are to make top 4, we just have to find ways to lock these games away, no matter who is out there.

Where the game will be won
Under Yze, the Tigers - based on a small sample size - don’t seem to have changed too much. They seem a little happier to handball their way out of congestion and when they do kick, they look to want to go long and direct. It seems Yze is trying to adapt a little of the Demons game plan, which he knows so well. However, the Hardwick led Tigers previous game style has been so successful, and continues to be with two prominent incarnations present at GWS and the Pies, meaning Yze won’t be tinkering too much with this fruitful game style. It is a game plan which can will hurt us if they can get the ball to the outside and get speed on the game. But when we can slow down opposition, control the contest, and bring our pressure, we have enough talent to not only win this one, but win it well.

What I want to see
For all our talent, especially up forward, we just have not learnt to punish teams yet. Voss has done wonders. In his image, we have become a brutal footy team. We can bash teams into submission for long periods. But we are not known for that finishing polish yet to hurt opposition when we are on top. In the Brissy game we finally seen a strong result in the turnover game. That’s what I want to build on this week from the boys. Get your deserved reward for your effort and lets crush the Tigs! Go Blues!!

Last edited:

Hoping Hewett gets off otherwise we may be a bit light on around the ball. Carroll to stay exactly where he was on ball, Doch back to half back or to the wing when he comes back from inj.

OUT: Docherty (inj)
IN: Carroll, Binns (sub)

Carroll earned a full game.

Owies on notice. Motts straight swap when fit. Probably not this week.

I don't see Pitto getting back in.

Yep. Agree on all. Pretty simple.

If Hewett gets suspended Kennedy can replace him in the midfield (he was more forward last night) and maybe a Moir to go forward. Might be early for him but think he is the closest fit. Can sub him off at half time for a runner if it backfires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hewett a certainty to get a week. (Not that I agree, but we know how this works).

It will depend how serious the AFL is about implementing their new "community standards".

I would be supportive of completely eradicating all punching from the game, head or body, and any strike regardless of impact gets a week. There is no reason for professional athetes to be punching eachother. It's not a good look for kids. Etc.

If we're completely taking punching out of the game then Hewett, Neale & Cameron are all getting a week.

Feels almost criminal talking about any outs after last night but Jessie has to come in if right so it will be Owies or Orazio you would think. Both if Martin comes up.

Other easy , Carroll full game for for Doc.

That is all hopefully.

Surely Hewy wont get a week. 🤞

We can't keep the team as is just because we won. Need to strive to improve. Owies wasn't bad but didn't do enough to hold Mots out.

Who said anything about not wanting us to strive to improve?

Keeping Owies in the team doesn't go against that.

We're going to lose Doc and most likely Hewett.

I like Mots, but he is not a world beater yet. I can see him coming in for Owies, but like I said, I wouldn't drop him. Owies has this ability to get under the opposition's skin and that's a quality I like about him.

Who said anything about not wanting us to strive to improve?

Keeping Owies in the team doesn't go against that.

We're going to lose Doc and most likely Hewett.

I like Mots, but he is not a world beater yet. I can see him coming in for Owies, but like I said, I wouldn't drop him. Owies has this ability to get under the opposition's skin and that's a quality I like about him.
Can agree to disagree. I like Owies but feel Mots provides more and has more upside. Think he is the incumbent based on preseason and end of last season so Owies needs to outperform to keep him out.

Don't think what happens with Hewett or Doc will affect either though I guess Kennedy was playing mainly forward so if he plays more mid Owies could stay as an undersized marking option even if Mots returns.

Can agree to disagree. I like Owies but feel Mots provides more and has more upside. Think he is the incumbent based on preseason and end of last season so Owies needs to outperform to keep him out.

Don't think what happens with Hewett or Doc will affect either though I guess Kennedy was playing mainly forward so if he plays more mid Owies could stay as an undersized marking option even if Mots returns.

Yep was thinking that too.

Hewett shouldn't be rubbed out, but the way things are these days chances are he will.

Hewett a certainty to get a week. (Not that I agree, but we know how this works).

Doch likely to be out for a couple of weeks.

Quite happy bringing in Binns. Is Moir a smokey?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doubt Hewett would get a week for that, very soft and likely to happen every week.
Neale can be quite provocating also which goes unnoticed by the umpires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back