Traded 2. Billie Smedts (2011-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 National Draft selection no. 15 - Geelong

Will be updated when required, feel free to discuss potential picks beforehand.

smedts.jpg

Billie Smedts
Height: 189cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 08/06/92
Club: Geelong Falcons (Vic)

Kevin Sheehan says: Composed medium defender/forward who is strong overhead and very competitive. Extremely agile player who takes the game on. Was a Vic Country under-18 representative in 2010, playing three matches after returning from injury.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
A defender who likes to take the game on, and hates to lose. I am good at reading the play in front of me.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
Andrew Mackie, because he sets up really well from the defence.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Competitiveness, reading the play, agility, awareness and handballing.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Kicking and marking.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Western Bulldogs, because my dad played with them.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Dad and my oldest brother Ricky because they have supported me and always taught what's right and wrong

Re: 2010 National Draft selection no. 15

Well the experts are tipping Billie Smedts a 189cm defender who admires Mackie and models himself on him...mmm. I wish Gorringe would fall to this pick but not a chance methinks.

#15: Billie Smedts or Isaac Smith?

Well, it looks like our first pick (#15) has been narrowed down to these two:

Billie Smedts

Height:189cm
Weight:76kg
DOB:08/06/92
Club:Geelong Falcons (VIC)

Originally tipped to go top 10, it appears Smedts will slide down a little to due an injury interrupted season. Smedts is a utility who shows great composure and has excellent agility (Tested #1 at Draft Combine). Very strong overhead, Smedts has great awareness, reads the play exceptionally well and has good ball use. Being a Falcons boy may also work in his favour.

Isaac Smith

Height:187cm
Weight:75kg
DOB:30/12/1988
Club:North Ballarat Roosters (VFL)

Isaac Smith has enjoyed a meteoric rise in his football career. Smith started the year playing in the Ballarat country league side, Redan, before being invited down to try out in the VFL with North Ballarat. Smith made a huge impression and had a massive impact with North Ballarat, starring in the Roosters premiership. He is set to make the transition from bush footy nobody to first round AFL draft pick.

Smith has exceptional pace as well as good agility and ball use. His ability to break the lines and hit up a target with his sheer pace will make him a valuable asset to an AFL club, particularly us, as we need a speedy outside mid. Won't be drafted any later than #17, as North Melbourne are super keen on him.

Do we go with the safe option, the local boy in Billie Smedts? Or, do we run the gauntlet and take a chance and select the exciting draft bolter in Isaac Smith?

Without doubt, Isaac Smith fills a need. We need to add pace, and Isaac Smith's ability to break the lines and get through the zones with his electrifying speed will appeal to Wells. He has massive upside, and will continue to improve once in the AFL environment. It's also worth noting, Smith has never done a full pre-season in his life. The upside of this boy is enormous. Wells has gambled before, and may do it again with Smith tonight.

It's also interesting to note that due to rumors of groin troubles, Dyson Heppell may become a dramatic slider. If Heppell does slide through to us, I would think the Cats will snap him up before the other two mentioned above.

It's going to be an exciting draft tonight :)

Re: #15: Billie Smedts or Isaac Smith?

Knowing Wells he'll fox us all and pick Ben Newton or something...and then nab Smedts at #23, Smith at #37 and Cook after that :p

There is also a chance that Pitt will be available. If so I think we will take him before Smith and Smedts.

Jayden Pitt
Height: 188cm
Weight: 70kg
DOB: 07/10/92
Club: Geelong Falcons (Vic)
Draft range: 12-20
Pitt dropped away late in the season, when his slight body gave out after a gruelling schedule, but the Suns' recruiting boss Scott Clayton loves his pinpoint kicking and his ability to avoid trouble. His star rose early in the under-18 championships. It'll rise again.

From the Herald Sun "Foot skills are a top priority for Suns and Pitt’s kicking (on both feet) and decision-making are truly elite. Late-blooming wingman who knows how to get in dangerous spots in attack. Strong mark."

Re: #15: Billie Smedts or Isaac Smith?

Last season we plucked Menzel from nowhere, so I would hesitate to think the media really has that much of an idea what we would do.

I think its about friggan time we upgraded Shannon/Stokes. Surely a guy like Prestia would make us a better team.

I really hope we can snare I.Smith, B.Smedts and J.Pitt. With Delaney as the cherry on top. Would be a dream draft!!!

smith looks like a good pick up without having a good look at the draft.really all we are getting are GC left overs grr.my brother was telling me the cats are looking at getting a 21 yo with pace he forgot his name does anyone know who it might be?

what this redden kid who played in the VFL last year seemed in the best alot any chance getting drafted by the cats?

smith looks like a good pick up without having a good look at the draft.really all we are getting are GC left overs grr.my brother was telling me the cats are looking at getting a 21 yo with pace he forgot his name does anyone know who it might be?
The 21 year old with pace is Smith!

Anyway, piecing together info I have heard, Smedts won't get past us (and we will take him before I Smith), Atley won't get past the Dons (Hird called his TAC coach who described him in two words as "Chris Judd"), and I Smith likely to go #17 to North.

But you can take all of that with a massive grain of salt because clubs are doing themselves a disservice to leak accurate info, plus Wells has a habit of surprising.

what this redden kid who played in the VFL last year seemed in the best alot any chance getting drafted by the cats?

His name is Isaac Smith.

See the top of the page.

I love this kid. Ever since he made me spill my coffee at Etihad in the grand final, I've been all over him (well I was before, but even more so now). Honest to goodness, is Wojo MK2, maybe even may become a white man's Varcoe, and exactly what we need. I will agree he's a bit of a risk in the sense that there's only one season of data on which to assess him, but athletically he's in the top half dozen players in this draft, and having done no pre seasons, his potential improvement in this area is scary. I've also listened to him being interviewed and he's clearly got the right attitude too. Hope to goodness we don't pass on him for Mackie/Menzel MK 2 (Smedts).

That said, injury rumours or not, if 14 other clubs are stupid enough to pass on Heppell, we must not be. And Brodie Smith is a gun too, so if you are reading this Rendell, please pass on him.

My order of preference for pick 15.
1. Dyson Heppell (if he slides here)
2. Brodie Smith (if he slides here)
3. Shaun Atley (if he slides here)
4. Isaac Smith (will be here)
4. Sebastian Tape (if he slides here)
5. Matthew Watson (will be here)
6. Patrick McCarthy (likely to be here)

The 21 year old with pace is Smith!

Anyway, piecing together info I have heard, Smedts won't get past us (and we will take him before I Smith), Atley won't get past the Dons (Hird called his TAC coach who described him in two words as "Chris Judd"), and I Smith likely to go #17 to North.

But you can take all of that with a massive grain of salt because clubs are doing themselves a disservice to leak accurate info, plus Wells has a habit of surprising.

Say it ain't so :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say it ain't so :(
I've barely seen any of these guys play, and have absolutely no preference either way, but that is just what I've heard - however as I said, draft info is probably the least reliable of all info (for a number of reasons), and all will be revealed in 3 hours anyway, with all clubs saying they are happy with their draft.

I've barely seen any of these guys play, and have absolutely no preference either way, but that is just what I've heard - however as I said, draft info is probably the least reliable of all info (for a number of reasons), and all will be revealed in 3 hours anyway, with all clubs saying they are happy with their draft.

That's guaranteed. At least we won't have every club this year claiming they "won" the draft, because obviously GC will.

I can't wait, bring it on.

His name is Isaac Smith.

See the top of the page.

I love this kid. Ever since he made me spill my coffee at Etihad in the grand final, I've been all over him (well I was before, but even more so now). Honest to goodness, is Wojo MK2, maybe even may become a white man's Varcoe, and exactly what we need. I will agree he's a bit of a risk in the sense that there's only one season of data on which to assess him, but athletically he's in the top half dozen players in this draft, and having done no pre seasons, his potential improvement in this area is scary. I've also listened to him being interviewed and he's clearly got the right attitude too. Hope to goodness we don't pass on him for Mackie/Menzel MK 2 (Smedts).

That said, injury rumours or not, if 14 other clubs are stupid enough to pass on Heppell, we must not be. And Brodie Smith is a gun too, so if you are reading this Rendell, please pass on him.

My order of preference for pick 15.
1. Dyson Heppell (if he slides here)
2. Brodie Smith (if he slides here)
3. Shaun Atley (if he slides here)
4. Isaac Smith (will be here)
4. Sebastian Tape (if he slides here)
5. Matthew Watson (will be here)
6. Patrick McCarthy (likely to be here)
As much as I like Brodie Smith as a player, he can't hit side of a barnyard to save his life. His physical attributes are exceptional but his foot skills are poor. If he could kick, he wouldn't get anywhere near Geelong. Doesn't strike me as the type of player that Stephen Wells/Geelong normally target. Atley is interesting, there is some talk he will slip out towards the end of the first round although no sure I believe it.

The strong rumours re: Brodie Smith coming out are that he will be at Adelaide with 14 and Adelaide told him last night. However, it depends how much you believe those "sources". ;)

As much as I like Brodie Smith as a player, he can't hit side of a barnyard to save his life. His physical attributes are exceptional but his foot skills are poor. If he could kick, he wouldn't get anywhere near Geelong. Doesn't strike me as the type of player that Stephen Wells/Geelong normally target. Atley is interesting, there is some talk he will slip out towards the end of the first round although no sure I believe it.

The strong rumours coming out are that he will be at Adelaide with 14 and Adelaide told him last night. However, it depends how much you believe those "sources". ;)

Fair enough, just love his speed and agility (what we need) and can play inside and outside, great work rate etc...kicking as you say the question mark but I went with Pivo's endorsement on that one.

Atley sliding is possible. Just like a while ago Smedts wouldn't have got to 15 but now he will.

If Essendon plump for Prestia, GC only have 4 picks after that, and 3 will probably be Gorringe, Lynch and Tape, so they've only got one more to play with, and that may well be Pitt, so we could get lucky and get a real slider like a Heppell or an Atley. Depends a lot on what Melb do though (whether they go tall or best available) and then whether Adelaide change tack if a slider goes through, or still take Brodie. It will be interesting.

If he could kick, he wouldn't get anywhere near Geelong. Doesn't strike me as the type of player that Stephen Wells/Geelong normally target.

Kane_Tenace_%28350_x_479%29.jpg

Impressively that definitely looks like a floater off the boot.

Fair enough, just love his speed and agility (what we need) and can play inside and outside, great work rate etc...kicking as you say the question mark but I went with Pivo's endorsement on that one.

Atley sliding is possible. Just like a while ago Smedts wouldn't have got to 15 but now he will.

If Essendon plump for Prestia, GC only have 4 picks after that, and 3 will probably be Gorringe, Lynch and Tape, so they've only got one more to play with, and that may well be Pitt, so we could get lucky and get a real slider like a Heppell or an Atley. Depends a lot on what Melb do though (whether they go tall or best available) and then whether Adelaide change tack if a slider goes through, or still take Brodie. It will be interesting.

geez would love either of Heppell or Atley! few weeks back they were no chance to fall below 8. We must pounce if either fall.... J.Selwood all over again :thumbsu: Its amazing how things can turn. Just like what you said bout Smedts.
Really looking forward to this. Glad we traded to get two picks early with the talent about.

Would be rapt with Smith or Smedts also. Don't think Smith will fall to 23 but what about Smedts?

dream draft for me
15. Attley / Smith
23. Smedts / Watson
37. Delaney / Walker
54. Sinclair / Harvey

Agree Baywatch.

Honestly it's all guesswork from me, however I am now pretty certain that two guys who weren't top 15 a few weeks ago (Conca and Prestia) will now go top 15 (and maybe three with Pitt), so that means 2 guys will fall out of the top 15. One is Smedts, and it will be interesting to see who the other one is.

Smedts 23 is interesting....he could actually get all the way there depending on what North want. Yet another reason I hope we have the nerve to take Isaac at 15.

As tall forwards I would be happy with either Cook or Walker, although I'd prefer we went for a "pure" defender as a need, and hopefully it's Watson.

Agree Baywatch.

Honestly it's all guesswork from me, however I am now pretty certain that two guys who weren't top 15 a few weeks ago (Conca and Prestia) will now go top 15 (and maybe three with Pitt), so that means 2 guys will fall out of the top 15. One is Smedts, and it will be interesting to see who the other one is.

Smedts 23 is interesting....he could actually get all the way there depending on what North want. Yet another reason I hope we have the nerve to take Isaac at 15.

As tall forwards I would be happy with either Cook or Walker, although I'd prefer we went for a "pure" defender as a need, and hopefully it's Watson.

Apparently the Tiges had a piece on Conca hurriedly removed from their webside leading to speculation they will take him at 6.

Apparently the Tiges had a piece on Conca hurriedly removed from their webside leading to speculation they will take him at 6.

Conca at 6, Caddy at 7, Prestia and Atley 8 and 9 (just a question of which way around). From there it's just a matter of where the rest of the cards fall.

Conca at 6, Caddy at 7, Prestia and Atley 8 and 9 (just a question of which way around). From there it's just a matter of where the rest of the cards fall.

At pick 15 we'll no doubt have a group of four or five players and we'll have to decide on those (who we want). But before that we will have probably crossed off names very similar to the ones other clubs have called out.
I thought that quote from Stephen Wells was quite telling.

I thought that quote from Stephen Wells was quite telling.

Agree.

The other thing is the article a few weeks ago where wells highlighted speed and key defenders, and Scott said that we'd like to add speed but he wasn't sure if we could get that in this draft (I reckon we can ;)). All of this should play a big part in our thoughts tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back