Telstra AFL Live Official App & Pricing

Remove this Banner Ad

grimface_87

Premiership Player
May 27, 2008
Melbourne territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Telstra has announced the pricing for its live mobile coverage of the 2012 AFL Season:

Season Pass: $50
Monthly Pass: $10
Per Game: $5

They will launch the free 'AFL Live Official App' that will have 'live score updates, radio broadcasts of the games, team lists and player profiles, match previews and post-game reviews all free and unmetered for Next G and 4G customers'

http://www.theage.com.au/business/telstra-unveils-afl-pricing-plan-20120213-1t1mn.html

Considering the quality of the AFL site, the app could be a mess!

I assume you have to be a Tel$tra customer to access this? In other words it's not really going to be $50, it's going to be $50 plus some huge fee for home or mobile internet, plus the 'privilege' of dealing with one of Australia's worst companies.

And what will the quality be like? Probably horrible if Telstra's apparent knowledge of internet tech is anything to go by.

Give me a site where I can sign up for HD streaming to the device of my choice for $50/month for the season, without having to deal with Telstra.

Get into the 21st century, AFL!

Anyone that doesn't have foxtel. It's a bargain if you ask me

I wonder what resolution they will broadcast in?

I assume you have to be a Tel$tra customer to access this? In other words it's not really going to be $50, it's going to be $50 plus some huge fee for home or mobile internet, plus the 'privilege' of dealing with one of Australia's worst companies.

Maybe they will do it like Vodafone did the cricket. Anyone can pay for it but it's only unmetered for Telstra customers.

And what will the quality be like? Probably horrible if Telstra's apparent knowledge of internet tech is anything to go by.

Give me a site where I can sign up for HD streaming to the device of my choice for $50/month for the season, without having to deal with Telstra.

I'm sure if there was a party willing to pay the kind of $$ Telstra are for this service the AFL would sign with them....but unfortunately Australia doesn't have that competition and as you have pointed out, it's worth more to Telstra than the $50 a season it's about signing them on to Telstra mobile plans.

because it will look so nice on a 3.5inch screen. it will be worse than FTA SD

If you want to watch it on your TV you have that option too, which costs more and is streamed through the T-BOX

I wonder what resolution they will broadcast in?

Maybe they will do it like Vodafone did the cricket. Anyone can pay for it but it's only unmetered for Telstra customers.

Not sure on the resolution, I've got the vodafone cricket streaming and it's pretty damn good.

Also highly doubt they will let anyone bar Telstra customers access it.

I think its awesome. Cannot count the amount of times im out and have to rely on apps for score updates when I could just check out the game live!

Its also unmetered for Telstra NextG and 4G so that doesnt really come into it.

Yeah, Optus or Vodafone would do a much better job... lol

Oh dear the irony, get into the 21st century AFL?

Mate i think you need to get into 2012, i think its been a while since you've looked at Telstra mobile plans.

Remember this AFL LIVE is available on post and pre paid Telstra mobiles.

Seeing as though I am a Telstra customer, I'll def purchase this for at least a month. I work on Saturday's and it kills me not seeing some live action. It's unmetered for Telstra customer's so no need to worry about data charges. I'm a little bit skeptical on the quality so I'll check it out first. Couldn't see if the app is available yet though? Assume it will be closer to the season proper

Does anyone know if it will be unmetered on Telstra Pre-Paid iPad Mobile Broadband?? If not, approx how much data would it use to watch a game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do us non-Telstra customers do?

How much is this T-Box thing, and can we get it as a standalone package without letting Telstra anywhere near our home phone or internet account?

How much is this T-Box thing, and can we get it as a standalone package without letting Telstra anywhere near our home phone or internet account?

What do non Telstra customers do? It's up to them as a consumer to make the choice, does what Telstra offer attract you enough to switch? Something for you to consider.

T Box is only compatible with a Bigpond account. Possibly look into the xbox option.

From the article i linked earlier it states that Optus charge $10 a month to use their tv service which we know is not live. March - September is 7 months, so $70 for 7 months. AFL Live is $50 for 12 months and it is live, on a better phone network.

Also from that article i find it a bit rich Optus who could have purchased these rights are upset about the exclusive deal which see's them left out in the cold, kinda the same how i felt when the Aus Open was on and my Optus mates were watching their exclusive Aus open coverage.

Its a bloody good deal, will look good on a tablet too...or hdmi out to the TV if the res is right. The important thing though is that this is ALL games, including the Telstra rights game - and almost all of them live - for just 50 bucks the season.

Its cheaper than the aflplay foxtel on xbox version (100 bucks for the season), cheaper than getting foxtel, and like the bigpond and foxtel offerings there are a couple of huge advantages of being a telstra prepaid customer

- no credit card is required
- you can pay for it out of your raw prepaid credit
- no data charges

Ill be upgrading my phone for this.

The Tbox is $299 and its $49 per month for AFL play, which includes the compulsory starting package and all afl games live. Im not sure if you can get it without a Telstra cable or broadband service.

To take up the T-Box Offer, you must have:
  1. a BigPond Cable, ADSL2+ Elite or FTTP (Velocity) plan (‘Eligible Broadband Service’) and you must pass our video service qualification check
  2. a 802.11 g/h wireless access point (such as a Home Network Gateway wireless modem) or Ethernet connection at your premises
  3. computer with internet access to an Eligible Broadband Service
  4. compatible television with either HDMI, composite or component input
ref: http://www.telstra.com.au/tv/tbox/terms-conditions/

Note that the Telstra website lists the AFL Play side of the Tbox as "coming soon"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back