AFL Commentators Salaries?

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems like the AFL press pack and Canberra press pack could be interchangeable right now. They all spend a lot of time wrapping up their opinions and bias in fact, both disparage social media publicly but are enthusiastic users, they both have a symbiotic relationship with the people that they're reporting on, relying on leaks and relationships with insiders for their stories and they both seem to have a disdain for the readership. All of this might be why such a gap is emerging between people's lived in experience and what's being reported and a spotlight starting to be shined on why this is so.

Has anyone mentioned Luke Darcy yet? I find the football almost unwatchable when he is commentating.
Constantly trying to talk about the players back story instead of calling the game. IE: Tom Stewart plucked from the local league or Pendles' basketball background. Not just once, but 10 times a game. Every game.
Not only that, he has possibly the worst phrase of any commentator, "don't you just love the way he goes about it?"
Or "I just love the way he goes about it".
When I am watching a game and he is on I find myself yelling at the TV for this flog to shut up.
Has made a good living out of being a terrible TV person.

He says "look at the athleticism' almost every single game he commentates.

It seems like the AFL press pack and Canberra press pack could be interchangeable right now. They all spend a lot of time wrapping up their opinions and bias in fact, both disparage social media publicly but are enthusiastic users, they both have a symbiotic relationship with the people that they're reporting on, relying on leaks and relationships with insiders for their stories and they both seem to have a disdain for the readership. All of this might be why such a gap is emerging between people's lived in experience and what's being reported and a spotlight starting to be shined on why this is so.
Good point.

When Darcy says "look at the athleticism" it's always in a very similar pitch too, i.e. looney tunes tone because he can't keep up with the pace of the game.

Honestly how is he still employed, I wouldn't know a single person who enjoys anything to do with the banal dribble he serves up, year after year.

He always gives off a vibe as though he's not completely invested in what he is doing. As though he has other things on his plate. A bothered look in the eye and it shows in his commentary. Almost forced but you just know these blokes are bored shitless with the sport and are ready to move on to other things in their lives. But the money is so good, they stick around year after year.

So many terrific people out there who have not yet been given an opportunity in the industry. Unfortunately as they say . . . . if you never played the sport, you are not part of the 'boys club' and an ex footballer will always been given a go before someone of much more professional ilk.

So many terrific people out there who have not yet been given an opportunity in the industry. Unfortunately as they say . . . . if you never played the sport, you are not part of the 'boys club' and an ex footballer will always been given a go before someone of much more professional ilk.
Jason Bennett, Alistair Nicholson, Matt Hill, Kelly Underwood, Anthony Hudson, Matt Granland, Tim Lane, Mark Howard... probably more. Ultimately, they're calling football - the desire to be all formal and professional is questionable...bring on the showbiz I say, especially given most games we watch don't involve our teams

Jason Bennett, Alistair Nicholson, Matt Hill, Kelly Underwood, Anthony Hudson, Matt Granland, Tim Lane, Mark Howard... probably more. Ultimately, they're calling football - the desire to be all formal and professional is questionable...bring on the showbiz I say, especially given most games we watch don't involve our teams

Not much quality among that lost of commentators. Underwood is horrible. Absolutely appalling as an AFL commentator.
Bennett is decent, Hudson is good but becoming rather stale given he's been in the business for a couple of decades already.

Not much quality among that lost of commentators. Underwood is horrible. Absolutely appalling as an AFL commentator.
Bennett is decent, Hudson is good but becoming rather stale given he's been in the business for a couple of decades already.
I am not totally against Underwood but I felt like last year she was falling into the trap of trying some Derrrrwayne Russell type one liners and play on words for players names, ie King kicks a goal and here come all the King's men etc etc.

Bennett is grossly underused by 7 and Papalia only calling WA games on Foxtel is criminal.

it seems as though most callers have taken a page out of WWE wrestlers play book, i.e catch phrase... some stuff... another catch phrase.... bit more stuff, and then repeat the first catch phrase.

He always gives off a vibe as though he's not completely invested in what he is doing. As though he has other things on his plate. A bothered look in the eye and it shows in his commentary. Almost forced but you just know these blokes are bored shitless with the sport and are ready to move on to other things in their lives. But the money is so good, they stick around year after year.

Agree seems bored and either unwilling or unable to change-up anything at all to do with his commentary and whole routine. I'm tipping it's the latter, that plus zero accountability = the Darcy effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back