Review #1: Chris Newman Observatory - Will Retire End of Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Any thoughts on what constitutes a pass-mark for Newman against the Swans?

Obviously depends on where he plays, but I suspect he'll be played high HF, so I'd be looking for one goal (minimum), a couple of assists, 15 plus disposals and 3 or 4 tackles.

Putting a positive spin on it, he is experienced and team-oriented, so could really set up a few blokes around him with some cunning blocks and his reliable disposal.

Putting a negative spin on it, he really needs to play better than we could reasonably expect McDonough or Lennon would.
Richmond win :p

I joke but I'm half serious, that's what the reaction will come down to

Obviously depends on where he plays, but I suspect he'll be played high HF, so I'd be looking for one goal (minimum), a couple of assists, 15 plus disposals and 3 or 4 tackles.

Putting a positive spin on it, he is experienced and team-oriented, so could really set up a few blokes around him with some cunning blocks and his reliable disposal.

Putting a negative spin on it, he really needs to play better than we could reasonably expect McDonough or Lennon would.
I like the idea of Newman playing forward. It would take advantage of his strong marking ability and allow someone like Shane Edwards more time in the midfield.

setting the bar way too high here.
Newmans had 5 games. He averages 12.6 disposals with just 18 of them contested at 3.6 . kicked 3 goals at 0.6, laid 6 tackles at 1.2 and i cant be bothered looking up goal assists which are likely to be almost non existent like the rest of his stats.

What the hell are they doing gifting this bloke games. His form before injury was poor, plus he hasnt done a thing to to warrant a recall.
Just when you think they are learning from the past things like this keep happening.

Last edited:
10 disposals, 3 contested, 100% DE, 3 marks, 2 tackles, four 1%ers and a goal.

Im gonna say that's a pass.

For 100% game time? You're very easily pleased.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

10 disposals, 3 contested, 100% DE, 3 marks, 2 tackles, four 1%ers and a goal.

Im gonna say that's a pass.

Better than Morris, didn't stuff up most importantly.... Still shouldn't be getting gifted games but have no problem with his selection against the Swans due to experience. Should not be an automatic selection though.... ever again.

Was he playing in the midfield?

No, but 10 possessions for a whole game and our first half was diabolical, he was far from silencing critics old chum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but 10 possessions for a whole game and our first half was diabolical, he was far from silencing critics old chum.

Was Morris's replacement. Tell me now should morris come back in because he's younger?

Newman played his role with 100% perfection.

You're in denial, he's slapped doubters in the face nicely!

will be a very different situation next week at the G, and against a young and fleet footed GWS

would not be surprised if he makes way for someone, as some here said, his selection was based upon the circumstances and requirements for this specific game

will be a very different situation next week at the G, and against a young and fleet footed GWS

would not be surprised if he makes way for someone, as some here said, his selection was based upon the circumstances and requirements for this specific game

How so? I thought he played a game last night completely opposite to his specific game.

How so? I thought he played a game last night completely opposite to his specific game.

like it or not, he's slow these days. you can get away with that in the tight spaces of the SCG, and in the congested flood style game we saw last night

next week we will be moving our flood hard back and forward all day. IMO Newy right now doesnt have the juice in his legs to sustain that for 4 quarters

like it or not, he's slow these days. you can get away with that in the tight spaces of the SCG, and in the congested flood style game we saw last night

next week we will be moving our flood hard back and forward all day. IMO Newy right now doesnt have the juice in his legs to sustain that for 4 quarters

I think the like it or not factor is that Newman is way better than you say and it's proven. But he's 33 years old so lets just keep putting all old man excuses in there when it's not warranted.

I think the like it or not factor is that Newman is way better than you say and it's proven. But he's 33 years old so lets just keep putting all old man excuses in there when it's not warranted.

did you see the VFL game last week?

I understood the selection this week, with the smaller ground and the swans game style, it made sense

reality is our game requires speed. when we lose games, its because our players are failing to run back on the counter. Either they dont keep up on the counter-attack (and we bomb it into forwards massively outnumbered), or when we lose possession they fail to make it back to our backline to man up the zone

Newman on the G with a very young GWS side will be outrun and made to pay. With their key defenders and mumford out, their only asset is fact that they are dumb young and full of cum. They will try to burn us on the transition, and Newman (with a few others) is vulnerable to that

did you see the VFL game last week?

I understood the selection this week, with the smaller ground and the swans game style, it made sense

reality is our game requires speed. when we lose games, its because our players are failing to run back on the counter. Either they dont keep up on the counter-attack (and we bomb it into forwards massively outnumbered), or when we lose possession they fail to make it back to our backline to man up the zone

Newman on the G with a very young GWS side will be outrun and made to pay. With their key defenders and mumford out, their only asset is fact that they are dumb young and full of cum. They will try to burn us on the transition, and Newman (with a few others) is vulnerable to that

I did see the VFL game last week.

I just disagree with you. Newy will be as useful against GWS at the G as he was against the swans at the scg.

I do agree, however I think it is also dependant on how some of the kids who could replace him play at VFL level this week.
They need to earn their selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back