Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty complete game from Ben. Understand that it gets lost in the Goldstein brilliance, but he's developing every week.
Was described on channel 7 as an 8 1/2 most weeks and in a bad week as a 6 1/2 or 7.
Just monstered the inside ball last night and EFC had not a player up to the toughness or standard.

Is he doing enough?

I don't think so. Having an average/poor season for a potential elite player (and no, I won't blame Swallow's inclusion for that drop in performance like many like to as Greenwood covered that spot).

He is getting more than enough contested ball, and he is very impressive there - but rest of his game still is lacking.

Needs to work outside in midfield much better. Elite mids can work inside and out, and we need more quality from our best young players to take the next step.

Didnt spend much time in the centre circle last night=Was that a coaching plan for your mob?

Is he doing enough?

I don't think so. Having an average/poor season for a potential elite player (and no, I won't blame Swallow's inclusion for that drop in performance like many like to as Greenwood covered that spot).

He is getting more than enough contested ball, and he is very impressive there - but rest of his game still is lacking.

Needs to work outside in midfield much better. Elite mids can work inside and out, and we need more quality from our best young players to take the next step.

struggles on the turnover too…wouldn't mind seeing him shed a kilo or two over the pre-season to see if it increases his running capacity.

he would have to be one of the best overhead marks for his size in the comp.

Geez you guys are tough, last night wasn't his best game but he's been pretty good.
His last 5 weeks, (couldn't be bothered looking up clearances but they're decent iirc)
17, 2 tackles, 1 goal
17, 4 tackles, 3 goals
26, 7 tackles
24, 3 tackles, 1 goal
29, 3 tackles, 2 goals

Pretty sure he's spending more time forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez you guys are tough, last night wasn't his best game but he's been pretty good.
His last 5 weeks, (couldn't be bothered looking up clearances but they're decent iirc)
17, 2 tackles, 1 goal
17, 4 tackles, 3 goals
26, 7 tackles
24, 3 tackles, 1 goal
29, 3 tackles, 2 goals

Pretty sure he's spending more time forward
A result of Jacobs playing on the inside more.

struggles on the turnover too…wouldn't mind seeing him shed a kilo or two over the pre-season to see if it increases his running capacity.

he would have to be one of the best overhead marks for his size in the comp.

Agree. He can't keep up when it goes the other way. Maybe a kg or two would help but then that compromises his strength in close. Excellent mark overhead for size, like Bartel.

I am not knocking him, he is still contributing well and a quality player. I'd love to see him take the next step as he has stagnated or even gone back a touch when we need the next wave of players to be reaching higher levels to be a flag threat.

s
van peebles ,you might be interested to know that in a caravan park I was in last week, Cunner's grandparents were there.. Was some North talk.
Is it true they don't argued a kangaroo that jumped in front of their van?

They then roasted the Roo from the flames they created by rubbing 2 blades of grass together?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-07/the-streak-round-19

Ben has currently kicked 9 straight goals without a blemish. 2nd on the current list of this streak behind Tory Dickson's impressive 21.

I'd be rotating JZ and Ben 100% of this game to a. Get them some really solid forward form for the finals. b. Keep them freshish for the final 3 telling games to end the regular season and c. See if one of them can get a roll on and kick a bag.

Scott did this a few times late last year, most notably the Bulldogs game for Cunners and Crows for JZ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back