Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the loose definition of elite in a football context interesting

Elite
a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

Now look at football.

An AFL list is made up of 47 spots (this excludes the provisions for GWS and GC) so that gives us a total of 846 players within the league.

of those 846 players for the sake of the argument lets say that roughly a third of those players are midfielders. (the other categories being Forwards and Backs)

This gives us 282 players that are Ben's contemporaries. Now depending upon where you draw the line it informs whether Ben is elite.

What categories can this cross section be broken down into?

Developing
Poor
Average
Good
Very Good
Elite

This gives us a % of 16.66% or 46 players as elite.

The question becomes If Ben is not elite who are the 46 players in his position that are in front of him.

** Edit - Using the Brownlow as an indicative ranking system it has Ben as 24th midfielder in the league in the past year.

Yeah the word 'elite' annoys me too because everyone uses it to mean a different thing. It's like the term "world class" in soccer. Going by your rationale definition, I'd say yes Cunnington is in the top 46 midfielders in the AFL.

Yeah the word 'elite' annoys me too because everyone uses it to mean a different thing. It's like the term "world class" in soccer. Going by your rationale definition, I'd say yes Cunnington is in the top 46 midfielders in the AFL.

I was about to re edit again and include the AFLPA results

As voted by his peers he is in the top 39 mids in the game.

I excluded those players that only strictly play another position. ie Riewoldt, Buddy, Harry Taylor, Porkins.

He is elite and stats and standing and ranking back it up.

I was about to re edit again and include the AFLPA results

As voted by his peers he is in the top 39 mids in the game.

I excluded those players that only strictly play another position. ie Riewoldt, Buddy, Harry Taylor, Porkins.

He is elite and stats and standing and ranking back it up.
Imagine if he can take his 73% game time up to 85%, it will drive up disposals and consistency.

I spoke to a bloke on Norths List recently, his words were "Ben Cunnington is the best player at our club"

That's what I like to see from Ben. Confidence.

Cunners thought process

"I`ll tear out this blokes heart.....ahhhhh s**t someone beat me to it"

R102014CunningtonFend.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we have a future Brownlow winner on our list but my best bet would be Ziebell. Could be a dominant force if everything goes right for him.

I don't think we have a future Brownlow winner on our list but my best bet would be Ziebell. Could be a dominant force if everything goes right for him.

I reckon Spitta would be a show with a good run of games and fitness.

I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank the footy gods for the collective refusal of Varcoe, Prince Dias and Adam Ostellin to join our club.
At least one of the gods must wear a North beanie. Those three names give me a shiver as North was mentioned as showing interest in all of them at different times. God forbid.

I love the gif too, but I think Varcoe is purely a stepping stone for Benny...... I wanna see him sit Hodge, J Kennedy, Watson etc all on their arses. I reckon he will in next couple years. He stiff- armed Selwood too didn't he.
I want to see him sit D.Martin on his ass with a trademark dont argue!

What categories can this cross section be broken down into?

Developing
Poor
Average
Good
Very Good
Elite

This gives us a % of 16.66% or 46 players as elite.

The question becomes If Ben is not elite who are the 46 players in his position that are in front of him.

** Edit - Using the Brownlow as an indicative ranking system it has Ben as 24th midfielder in the league in the past year.

I like your thinking, but the way stats work is usually on a 'bell curve', so it might be 5% are developing, 15% are poor, 30% are average, 30% are good, 15% are very good and 5% are elite etc, so maybe only 12-15 mids can be called elite :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back