Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

People know cunnington now because of the dairy farmers ad. He'll get more love once he gets his supercoach scores over 110 average, and that will take only 3 or 4 more disposals per game on average. (If this happens people will legit rate him more)

But the truth is that hes not in the top 10 mids yet so lets not keep putting him in there (abblett, pendlebury, danger, sellwood, kennedy etc) or you make us look like idiots and its counterproductive to getting Cunners some credit.

He belongs in that next tier down among the likes of Cotchin, Heppel, Boak, Shuey etc

But the truth is that hes not in the top 10 mids yet so lets not keep putting him in there (abblett, pendlebury, danger, sellwood, kennedy etc) or you make us look like idiots and its counterproductive to getting Cunners some credit.

He belongs in that next tier down among the likes of Cotchin, Heppel, Boak, Shuey etc

Don't think I've read anywhere that people think he's s top 10 mid? Top 10 contested ball player, yes, but he needs to do more on the outside to move up with the best

Not sure if I'm the only one who sees this but it's been bugging me who Cunnington reminds me of. Now I'm not saying he's as good or will be as good....buuutttt
Doesn't anyone else see a bit of Leigh Mathews in him. Doesn't have the tank yet and doesn't play like a ruthless horrible campaigner (which I like lethal for btw). But just the size and shape of him and the way he reads the ball, loves a goal too.

Before you shoot me down in flames I'm aware that Mathews is arguably the greatest player of all time but I just see similar trates in the way they move and everything. Don't now maybe it's just me but I can't help but see the similarities.

Ps. I'd just like to say again that I don't think Cunners is as good or will even be in the same ball park but there's just something similar with the two

Thoughts?

Conceptually speaking it's a fair comparison, in a playing style kind of way. No doubt Cunners plays footy in a similar kind of way. Cunners is better by hand, Matthews better at...well everything else, but the similarities can be seen.

The only modern day player that legitimately plays like Matthews did is GAJ. That's a direct comparison. Cunners is on the same ladder, but staring up at them from about 40 rungs below.

Don't think I've read anywhere that people think he's s top 10 mid? Top 10 contested ball player, yes, but he needs to do more on the outside to move up with the best

MacAdam was arguing top ten mid on the main board god bless him. Couple it with your top 10 inside mid thread (which by the way i agree he is top ten inside mid) and people will start getting sceptical.

Cunnington is my favourite, hes so good to wat check play footy especialy live. Im as frustrated as anyone by his lack of recognition in the media for the bulshit he pulls on the field in that nonchalant way of his. But i dont want him to get a reputation on bigfooty for being 'that player norf fans overate'.

His finals performances speak for themselves anyway.

MacAdam was arguing top ten mid on the main board god bless him. Couple it with your top 10 inside mid thread (which by the way i agree he is top ten inside mid) and people will start getting sceptical.

Cunnington is my favourite, hes so good to wat check play footy especialy live. Im as frustrated as anyone by his lack of recognition in the media for the bulshit he pulls on the field in that nonchalant way of his. But i dont want him to get a reputation on bigfooty for being 'that player norf fans overate'.

His finals performances speak for themselves anyway.

Fair enough. My poll was top 10 center clearance players. Cunnington deserves to be in that conversation

What Cunners does he does very well, such a composed player.

Needs to add more strings to his bow and he will be top notch!

Fair enough. My poll was top 10 center clearance players. Cunnington deserves to be in that conversation
I posted what I thought was a measured, reasonable response about how Heppell is a squib of the highest order with a comparison between him and Cotchin and comparing how Heppell and Cunners go about their footy using footage of Heppell's short steps in front of Thomas and Cunners' fend off of Varcoe to that thread and it got deleted.

I posted what I thought was a measured, reasonable response about how Heppell is a squib of the highest order with a comparison between him and Cotchin and comparing how Heppell and Cunners go about their footy using footage of Heppell's short steps in front of Thomas and Cunners' fend off of Varcoe to that thread and it got deleted.

It's an outrage:thumbsdown:

Cunnington's jedi force don't argue deleted it for being in the same post as Heppell's perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back