Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunnington paying Gibbs no respect and giving him a metre at that ruck contest in the last which resulted in the snap goal was another example of why we lose these games.

Yeah, saw that. I looked at my mate and said watch Gibbs smash this through as Cunners was sagging off him. Not good enough.

He's shown he's not a great defensive player. When we're not going well and need to defend his effort/concentration drop off. Again not alone here but there were some big challenges last night up against what I rate as a quality midfield and he did not meet the challenge.

He's shown he's not a great defensive player. When we're not going well and need to defend his effort/concentration drop off. Again not alone here but there were some big challenges last night up against what I rate as a quality midfield and he did not meet the challenge.

I agree. Do you think it's a mindset or a fitness thing?

A bit of both, his fitness is coming from a low base, but like the rest of our boys in their early 20's finding the right mindset and concentration level week to week seems beyond them atm.

Yeah a bit of both sounds right. When you're absolutely buggered and struggling to cover the ground it's hard to stay focused. He probably backs himself to win most contests, which is great but he needs to realize when he's in the defensive 50, defense comes first.

Ben 10 should be starting in the middle every game.
He is a one touch player that we lack and makes every touch count.

our issue is that we have 4 guys in there that hunt the footy (Ziebs, Ben10, spitta and pig) and thats why we get smashed in the middle as no one is on the outside.

Cant fathom our recruiting on the same type of player and we them get Dumont as well .

Ben 10 should be starting in the middle every game.
He is a one touch player that we lack and makes every touch count.

our issue is that we have 4 guys in there that hunt the footy (Ziebs, Ben10, spitta and pig) and thats why we get smashed in the middle as no one is on the outside.

Cant fathom our recruiting on the same type of player and we them get Dumont as well .
Would not be surprised if we get some serious approaches at seasons end for three of those four from other clubs.

Strangest recruit of the year. Laugh every time he dominates the Vfl, who are we gonna drop to put him in? A defender? Mcmahon/mullet/wright? A forward? That'll create more problems. One of ziebell, swallow Levi or cunners? Spare me. Maybe were gearing up for a trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunnington is untouchable.

I would give up Ziebell or Swallow for somebody like Gibbs or Murphy.

It won't happen though.

Dal Santo was the type of player we needed to recruit. But he is not a matchwinner.
It's funny, 12 months ago you would have been shot for suggesting a Swallow for Gibbs trade.

On topic, I think Cunnington is being let off too easily for his form since Swallow's return. It's not Spitta's or the coaches' fault. Ben10 needs to lift his game before September

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is cunnington getting to contests before swallow or something? Does he see swallow and decide not to go in hard and just sit behind the group?

Based on what? He's our vice captan and most likely Swallows replacement as captan. IMO if anyone's going it would be greenwood

Based on his shitful performances and when he gets tha ball in hand he panics boots it anywhere.
I love the bloke and I hope it doesn't happen but we do need to take a risk.

Greenwood is a 2 way runner that we need and does run all day- the others dont.

Based on his shitful performances and when he gets tha ball in hand he panics boots it anywhere.
I love the bloke and I hope it doesn't happen but we do need to take a risk.

Greenwood is a 2 way runner that we need and does run all day- the others dont.

I really like Levi, he's as honest as they come. You know exactly what you're going to get from him every game. Watch his game again on the weekend, all he did was boot it long. Look up field and kick it to a contest.
Watch Ziebells game against Melbourne, his kicking was sublime. When you're comparing Ziebell to Greenwood please don't use kicking as something that Greenwood has over Ziebell. Because they are both guilty of the hack kick forward (just like every other inside mid in the comp) but when in space Ziebells kicking is so much better it's ridiculous to even compare them.

Regarding 'two way running'
I have heard Scott Thompson in an interview lately, when asked specifically who is the midfielder that helps out the defenders the most, without hesitation he named Ziebell.
Ziebell will be a great player for this club. He's obviously carrying an injury that's effecting his ability to win his own ball like he usually does.
Stick fat.

We have a chronic problem playing him and Swallow in the same team, club needs to address it. ATM neither player is having the desired impact.

I really like Levi, he's as honest as they come. You know exactly what you're going to get from him every game. Watch his game again on the weekend, all he did was boot it long. Look up field and kick it to a contest.
Watch Ziebells game against Melbourne, his kicking was sublime. When you're comparing Ziebell to Greenwood please don't use kicking as something that Greenwood has over Ziebell. Because they are both guilty of the hack kick forward (just like every other inside mid in the comp) but when in space Ziebells kicking is so much better it's ridiculous to even compare them.

Regarding 'two way running'
I have heard Scott Thompson in an interview lately, when asked specifically who is the midfielder that helps out the defenders the most, without hesitation he named Ziebell.
Ziebell will be a great player for this club. He's obviously carrying an injury that's effecting his ability to win his own ball like he usually does.
Stick fat.

Ziebell wouldn't need to get back out and help the defenders as much if he didn't turn over the footy and didn't let his opponent get 35 touches. He isn't a very good defensive runner, gets found out on the turnover way too much.

The problem is with Ziebell is that he never gets into space to utilise his kicking. Even last night when he came on as sub he was buggered after 5 minutes.

Cunnington is so much more damaging with his disposal than Spitter. Its a shame he has dropped off, as he looked to becoming a genuine A grade inside mid with hands of silk.

Ziebell wouldn't need to get back out and help the defenders as much if he didn't turn over the footy and didn't let his opponent get 35 touches. He isn't a very good defensive runner, gets found out on the turnover way too much.

The problem is with Ziebell is that he never gets into space to utilise his kicking. Even last night when he came on as sub he was buggered after 5 minutes.

We don't play man on man so anyone who gets 35 touches can't be blamed on any one player. Unless of course they are given the job to cover them but that's usually given to our stronger runners, Basti, Greenwood or Gibson.

Ziebell is having a poor year by his standard. He was huge in second half of last year. He can win games off his own boot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back