Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still winning the footy enough, but l do t think he enjoys the oppositions attention, allowing swallow to get into the game more. Centre clearances still an issue.

Ben gets the attention now because his disposal is more damaging than our other mids. If Spitta clears 10 times you can almost guarantee 6 of them will be horrendous disposals. Love him but his kicking especially is fubar

Ben gets the attention now because his disposal is more damaging than our other mids. If Spitta clears 10 times you can almost guarantee 6 of them will be horrendous disposals. Love him but his kicking especially is fubar

Scouting on the opposition down to the most intricate movement is paramount nowadays too.

Cunners trademark fend off and look away hand balls have all been very low this season because opp players are positioning themselves to take away his strengths as they would be scouting the crap out of him.

He will grow as a person and as a player with the extra attention, I would be worried for someone with a lesser work ethic and will to succeed - not this bloke!

Last edited:
I'd suggest that opposition sides, on the back of his B & F win, know his value to our side's engine room and, accordingly, they do all possible to nullify his effectiveness. He's a tough mofo and I'm sure he can work his way through it.
I've considered this as well. I've not really taken much notice of whether he has had someone playing directly on him but I wonder if the way opposition structure their stoppage setup against us is in a way to limit Ben's influence.

I'd suggest that opposition sides, on the back of his B & F win, know his value to our side's engine room and, accordingly, they do all possible to nullify his effectiveness. He's a tough mofo and I'm sure he can work his way through it.

Wait till he breaks through it.

They won't keep him down.

His TOG seems down. And I don't reckon he's been playing on the ball as much as he should. Scott seems to rotate the mids a lot. We need our best ball winners on the ball the most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scouting on the opposition down to the most intricate movement is paramount nowadays too.

Cunners trademark fend off and look away hand balls have all been very low this season because opp players are positioning themselves to take away his strengths as they would be scouting the crap out of him.

He will grow as a person and as a player with the extra attention, I would be worried for someone with a lesser work ethic and will to succeed - not this bloke!
Put some class in there with him and suddenly...

Ideally, a centre square squad of Cunners, Swallow and Hannebury/Shiel would take the heat off:D

373207-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

B.E.A.S.T.

Does he get more of the pill when Swallow is not in the middle?
Last year he did, took till finals to gel with Swallow. Same with Ziebell to a degree, same type of inside man, that's why Dal was important off the back of the square last year.

The 3 of them all go hard in and under and I think sometimes to their detriment. Just get in each other's way a fair bit, it's great to see thier intent on getting it 1st but often costs us as they don't like to take the seagull route of possession. As stated above we need the seagull (not meant in a derogatory way, nds is awesome) that is nicky dal back asap.

The 3 of them all go hard in and under and I think sometimes to their detriment. Just get in each other's way a fair bit, it's great to see thier intent on getting it 1st but often costs us as they don't like to take the seagull route of possession. As stated above we need the seagull (not meant in a derogatory way, nds is awesome) that is nicky dal back asap.

I disagree.

I think they take turns on who will block and who will take the tap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back