Opinion 10 most under rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd really like to hear your argument for why Ziebell is a "really good" midfielder. He certainly isn't IMO, at least not yet.

As for my opinion -

Marc Murphy
Dayne Beams
Nick Dal Santo
Nic Naitanui
Lachie Henderson

Just off the top of my head.
Someone people watch and understand the game - others read the stats in the paper and make terrible calls.

Watch a game Rommy.

Handful of good games at the arse end of last season doesn't change the fact he has been extremely underwhelming his entire career.
Yet you give Michael Hurley a pass. As long he contributes in finals win he is very valuable. Give me someone the impacts a game that counts for something over someone that racks up the stats and has zero impact. This is a big reason ess are 10 years and counting.

Yet you give Michael Hurley a pass. As long he contributes in finals win he is very valuable. Give me someone the impacts a game that counts for something over someone that racks up the stats and has zero impact. This is a big reason ess are 10 years and counting.

You're an absolute joke, what the hell does Hurley have to do with this. Massive hypocracy as per usual that you give a North player a pass mark despite constant under performance then when they are called out deflect to good ol punching bag Hurley who actually had a far better season. You are pathetic.

You're an absolute joke, what the hell does Hurley have to do with this. Massive hypocracy as per usual that you give a North player a pass mark despite constant under performance then when they are called out deflect to good ol punching bag Hurley who actually had a far better season. You are pathetic.
lol - both have not reached the potential that both teams have set - yet again Hurley gets a pass and JZ dosen't. Thats pathetic.

But while you laud mediocre players and finish each year in a mediocre position it's most football followers that get the last laugh. It's starts with your coach and feeds all the way down. Good times.

lol - both have not reached the potential that both teams have set - yet again Hurley gets a pass and JZ dosen't. Thats pathetic.

But while you laud mediocre players and finish each year in a mediocre position it's most football followers that get the last laugh. It's starts with your coach and feeds all the way down. Good times.

He finished 6th in the B&F in a finals side, that should be a pass mark in anyone's books. Just because a handful of Essendon supporters are saying he's a lock as an AA defender does not mean that suddenly because of that it's the level he must achieve this year. You're the one that is changing the height of the bar to suit your argument every single time.

Again you are using a post like this to go off topic to try and score some points. The fact you seem to spend your entire life in this thread is the truly pathetic story.

Last edited:
He finished 6th in the B&F in a finals side, that should be a pass mark in anyone's books. Just because a handful of Essendon supporters are saying he's a lock as an AA defender does not mean that suddenly because the level he must achieve this year. You're the one that is changing the height of the bar to suit your argument every single time.

Again you are using a post like this to go off topic to try and score some points. The fact you seem to spend your entire life in this thread is the truly pathetic story.
Sam Gibson finished 7th in top 4 team. I don't rank him with the better mids in the comp.

Ben cunnington a best and fairest winner in a prelim final team. Doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

I'd really like to hear your argument for why Ziebell is a "really good" midfielder. He certainly isn't IMO, at least not yet.

As for my opinion -

Marc Murphy
Dayne Beams
Nick Dal Santo
Nic Naitanui
Lachie Henderson

I'm sure most Carlton fans would be pretty disappointed with Murphy since his fantastic year in 2011.
Going from a top 5 mid to outside the top 100 in the comp means IMO he isn't underrated.
He needs to fix his decision-making and get back to the form that may make Carlton's midfield competitive.

I'm sure most Carlton fans would be pretty disappointed with Murphy since his fantastic year in 2011.
Going from a top 5 mid to outside the top 100 in the comp means IMO he isn't underrated.
He needs to fix his decision-making and get back to the form that may make Carlton's midfield competitive.
Oh, he's definitely gone backwards, that's for sure. However, he's still a very good midfielder and I think people exaggerate when talking about his regression, to the point where they label him as an average midfielder. He's a good user of the ball and he's starting to deal with tags better.

Oh, he's definitely gone backwards, that's for sure. However, he's still a very good midfielder and I think people exaggerate when talking about his regression, to the point where they label him as an average midfielder. He's a good user of the ball and he's starting to deal with tags better.

I disagree that he's a good user of the ball. I think he was but IMO in recent years he constantly sells his teammates into trouble and second-touches under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two come to mind

(1) Lewis of Hawthorn - doesnt get the accolades that some of his team mates get - but he is vital to Hawthorn - id call him a good organizer - you watch him at the stoppages - how many times he is 3rd man up in the ruck - he does clever things to the benefit of his team - i dont know where he finished in their best and fairest this year - but i would be staggered if he wasnt in the top 3 or 4. I wouldnt rank him equal or above Mitchell - i think Mitchell is a better player and more important - but i would definitely rate him above Hodge -who gets enormous raps from the media .
I think Lewis over the journey has been more consistently good than Hodge - who apart from the 2008GF - has had a lot of quiet - down games against Geelong

(2) Deledio - can appear to be a bit of a sook - which puts people off - but not bagging Richmond - if Deledio had been drafted by Geelong or Hawthorn - i think he would have ended up a superstar - an outside midfielder - who is quick - can run and carry - and is a thumping kick - top notch teams - love to have those type of players - because it just tops them off beautifully .

8. Eddie Betts - The best small forward in the game going, is a great overhead mark, especially at his height. He is really good at setting up forwards and constantly applies forward pressure and reading front an centre crumbs there is none better. His inability to play midfield gets overstated.
I think Luke Bruest is the best small forward in the comp.

As for my opinion -

Marc Murphy
Dayne Beams
Nick Dal Santo
Nic Naitanui
Lachie Henderson

I'd like to here why you think Natanui is underrated. IMO, he is overrated.

Correct. Stratton is underrated by everyone outside the club.
How should he be rated? He plays decent in his role in your team defence, but he's never going to be a top 100 player in the league. He's one of those interchangeable players that if he wasn't at Hawthorn next year it wouldn't move your chance of the premiership at all.

How should he be rated? He plays decent in his role in your team defence, but he's never going to be a top 100 player in the league. He's one of those interchangeable players that if he wasn't at Hawthorn next year it wouldn't move your chance of the premiership at all.
Stratton is vital in the Hawthorns team. He is one of our best 1 on 1 players. If you can beat Dangerfield in a 1 on 1 battle. you must be pretty good. He is our best small forward defender or third man.

Stratton is vital in the Hawthorns team. He is one of our best 1 on 1 players. If you can beat Dangerfield in a 1 on 1 battle. you must be pretty good. He is our best small forward defender or third man.
I'm not denying he's decent, but he's the sort of player that is replaceable. Someone like Cheney could come into replace him and the Hawks wouldn't really miss a beat.

He's not a key defender, and he's not a lock down small defender who's going to shut down Eddie Betts/Hayden Ballantyne types. 3rd tall/medium height defenders are the most replaceable player in the league.

I agree with Stratton. Always selects good options, has a great pair of hands and is safe by hand and foot. As stated, Lewis and Birchall not really what you would label underrated as they both receive their fair share of plaudits. The one for me who is underrated, criminally so, is Sheils. Super footballer, who rarely gets a mention both within the Hawthorn faithful and outside the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back