Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

The things Batchelor does off the ball goes unnoticed by most. For example N.Riewoldt lost Rance in traffic running torwards goal, Batch picks it up puts a block on Roo which allows Rance to catch up. Really liking the back 6 at the moment.

Batch is a footballer first, athlete second, hoping he gets a good run at it, can be a valuable contributor

Love Batch but he won't be down back once Astbury is fit. They need to be training him up as the third tall defensive forward in the pre season or trade him to upgrade our second or third pick. I believe he is the best judge of the flight of the ball at our club since Joel Bowden and could be a very dangerous forward that wacks in hard and kicks 1 or 2 a game plus works hard to lock it in when it goes to ground. Have always loved Batch and glad he's got his shot but he ain't gonna get a shot in the backline over Rance , Chappy , Grimes and Astbury so we better get trading or creative in the off season or he is going to spend another 2 years rotting in the VFL playing fullback at 190 cm's .
I prefer Batch at the moment than Astbury...more dimentional player...and as far as trading him totally disagree takes time to develop key backs.. and Newman wont be around forever

I prefer Batch at the moment than Astbury...more dimentional player...and as far as trading him totally disagree takes time to develop key backs.. and Newman wont be around forever
Those two aren't really competing. Astbury is a beast, takes the one on one gorilla forwards. Batch plays tall, but is never going to man up on a Travis Cloke or Kurt Tippet.

Once every one of Rance, Chaplin, Astbury, Grimes, Batchelor, Elton and Darrou are all fit,
Batch is probably competing with guys like Grimes and Darrou for the 3rd tall spot with Astbury competing with Chaplin and Elton for the big key defender spot.

Rance obviously the lock beyond locks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst i do like Grimes, I would trade him if a decent offer comes up and can promote Darrou

On Jake though i would love to see him actually being tried as an inside midfielder similiar to shane tuck type if it worked out and would allow us more depth and midfield rotations. corey enright does it well when thrown in there

Whilst i do like Grimes, I would trade him if a decent offer comes up and can promote Darrou

On Jake though i would love to see him actually being tried as an inside midfielder similiar to shane tuck type if it worked out and would allow us more depth and midfield rotations. corey enright does it well when thrown in there
On midfielders I reckon grimes could play the 'tall tagger' role better than grigg. A bit more mongrel about him.

Different posi , astbury plays key traditional chb , jb is a creative HBF, intercept mark and deft kick ....good size too...definite keeper

Team-orientated players happy to focus on playing their role with little to no fanfare are surprisingly hard to find but they're the mortar in the brickwork of a teams composition. Jake goes out there every game and just wins his position and holds the door open for his team mates.
Melbourne desperately needs to recruit a few Batchelor's instead of trying to draft their next Brownlow winner with every pick...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back