Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have him retire at years end. I'd rather get games into Tippett.
Need to stagger retirements with many to retire next year

With Taz, Thommo, Tippett and even Hansen plus the young KPD developing and potential to trade KPP in we are covered in this area.

But congrats on 250
Tippett is nothing more than a depth defender and isn't exactly young enough that he'll experience any sort of significant improvement. Firrito offers more now, and will most likely offer more next year than Tippett. Besides, they play different roles so it's not as if Spud's directly keeping him out of the team.

He just keeps defying the odds. First, to have the persistence to make it onto an AFL list despite being overlooked in the draft. Then, to have arguably the best couple years of his career after looking absolutely cooked about three years ago. From rookie list to NMFC life member and now 250 game player.

Well done Spud, you're the true embodiment of Shinboner Spirit.

^ I expect our key defence next year to be Tarrant Thompson, and one of Hansen/Tippett.
Hence spud to retire this year. Which is good list management since we will probably have 4 or so retirements next year also.

Currently playing one tall too many in defence which is taking up the spot of a smaller runner.
I know where you're coming from with the "one too many tall" comment. However, I don't believe that it necessarily correct. Spud and Thommo, on form, are very mobile and have attacking flair. They are really not any taller than , say, Fyfe. On top of that, Tarrant is very fast for a big man. Hansen is very sure with ball in hand. If those 4 players are on the top of their game, they're in the team, as far as I'm concerned. Right now, they all appear to be hitting their straps.

11902476_10153219852376843_7371707070678051271_n.jpg

The guy has an alien about to pop out of his leg. Haven't seen leg muscles like that since Arnie in his hey day. Total legend of the club though.
He's pound for pound, one our strongest, nearly out muscled Cloke and monster key forwards.

Not sure what that is on his leg, but really happy to see him get to 250. He was given Arch's number, and while no one can be Glenn Archer, he is all Shinboner.

My personal highlight of Spud from the last few years. ARE YOU KIDDING?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's have a little chat about Michael Firrito, aka the Spud.

He was drafted in the 2002 rookie draft as our first round rookie selection (#10 overall), having played a year at the Box Hill Hawks. Overlooked as a junior player, his birth into the AFL was achieved the hard way. The hard way is the defining characteristic of Michael Firrito.

Debuted in 2003, playing 2 matches before cementing his place in the Kangaroos defence for over a decade starting in 2004. From day one he was as hard as nails and as honest as the day is long.

By as early as 2006, following the retirement of Leigh Colbert and the sad debacle that was Jonathon Hay, Spud formed with Shannon Watt what must be considered to be one of the most undersized and underrated key position defences in recent history. These two undersized and outmatched "battlers" for a number of years (before Thommo and Narni came on the scene) fought out of their weight division against the big boys of the competition - Brown, Fevola, Tredrea, Pavlich, Riewoldt - they took them on and duked it out. More often than they are given credit for, they got the job done, too.

2007 was probably Spud's best season, a year in which the Roos were expected to finish stone motherless and instead made a prelim. Spud was critical to that sudden ascendancy.

2008 brought the retirement of the legendary Glenn Archer, and the question arose as to who should take over his mantle as #11. The number of the ultimate shinboner. Despite some debate outside the inner scrotum, it was apparent that internally there was only one choice.

2008 also brought the ill-fated decision to move Firrito into the midfield. It speaks highly of the man that his ability to win the ball down back suggested he might have a role to play as a big bodied midfielder rather than an outsized defender, but reality prevailed - he's a back man, let's face it - and Spud duly returned to regular duties.

Where he has remained ever since. Apart from a poor 2013 beset by injury niggles and some unfortunate ill-discipline at important moments, the bloke has been a rock. I can only imagine how much confidence his teammates get seeing him head down back with them.

No-one has ever suggested he is perfect, free from failure or anything other than human. In fact over the course of his long career he is the unfortunate contributor of some of the worst and most bone headed defensive decisions in recent memory. But far more often than not he just gets the job done. No mess, no fuss, no accolades and no awards. Just get in, get out, go home. He's also ripped more than the occasional forward line to shreds, just quietly.

To me, Michael Firrito embodies what North Melbourne stands for. Genuine, honest, competitive, sometimes a little rough around the edges, always willing and undaunted by any challenge. And underrated, unappreciated and not afforded the respect he deserves by earning it. A true shinboner.

250 games is a mark only achieved by a select few in the history of this game. It doesn't happen by accident. Firrito hasn't achieved it by accident - to the contrary, as much or more than any other player he has earned it through sheer hard work, determination and willpower.

Onya Spud. I'm sure I won't be the only one standing and applauding in appreciation when you run through that banner for the 250th time on Saturday.

Last edited:
How do we think Spud will be remembered when he finally hangs up the boots?

Is he a future club HoF'er for his service to the club or will he just have to settle for life membership?

Who would of thought a few years ago he would play 250? Horribly out of form, looked slow and over weight then only got his chance again through injury to others.

Since then he has been nothing short of wonderful. Will always have those brain farts at times but what a magnificent servant of our club.

Love ta Spud! Gratz!

Spud has never looked overweight.

Only looks slow when matched to a smaller opponent.

Should go around again next year and I hope he does.

A true Shinboner.

How do we think Spud will be remembered when he finally hangs up the boots?

Is he a future club HoF'er for his service to the club or will he just have to settle for life membership?

In a similar light to a player like Ross Smith. Tough, enormously respected by his teammates, a leader (although Rossy was moreso being a captain and all), willing to take on whatever assignment he's given regardless of the physical mismatch, a true Shinboner and great club man who got the very best out of his abilities having had to fight his way from VFL listed player to rookie to the senior list. One of those blokes who will be forever welcomed at Arden St, and forever respected for his courage and selfless deeds.

In a similar light to a player like Ross Smith. Tough, enormously respected by his teammates, a leader (although Rossy was moreso being a captain and all), willing to take on whatever assignment he's given regardless of the physical mismatch, a true Shinboner and great club man who got the very best out of his abilities having had to fight his way from VFL listed player to rookie to the senior list. One of those blokes who will be forever welcomed at Arden St, and forever respected for his courage and selfless deeds.
Well put TT.

Let's just hope we're luckier with any F/S Firrito's!

Some quality posting there astro and TT.

Have professed my love for Spud on many occasions, but happy to do so again on the eve of this auspicious occasion. Absolutely rapt to see him chalk up the 250 games. Love the way he goes about it, and have often said that I think his importance to the team is a little under-rated. Either way, can't think of a better successor for the hallowed No.11. He's done it proud.

It's pie-in-the-sky stuff to expect that every player on our list could get as much out of their careers as Spudley, but it shouldn't be in the realm of the ridiculous to expect them to follow his lead when it comes to attitude and effort. And of course, (Shinboner) spirit. That he is still one of the blokes who sets the bar in those departments is a credit to the great man.

Congrats, Spud!! Hope he plays a blinder.

Not sure North has many higher honours than the #11, and no-one could deserve it more. As he barged past three Freo would-be tacklers on Sunday to run into space and kick it forward, I was reminded again of his immeasurable value. True Shinboner, great team player, and very welcome in the top group of games played for our great club.

I think Dean Cox leads the way with about 290. Spud would be up there with others like Matthew Boyd, Brett Kirk and James McDonald who I think all got to 250.
Each of these three captained their respective clubs. Just goes to show that recruiting can sometimes be an imprecise science. I'm a massive fan of the rookie list and think that it's probably the best innovation the AFL has brought in over the past couple of decades.

As for Cox, can't help but think that his career would've been about 200 games shorter if the umpires treated him the same as every other ruckman in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back