Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me of Sam Fisher going off his video, kicks like him, similar height looks like hes hard to beat in a contest and doesn't lose many. I think his kicking could end up either elite or pretty s**t.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/150451/default.aspx

JASON ASHBY
DOB:
16/04/94
Height: 187cm
Weight: 78kg
Club: Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Bio: Hard-running defender who links up well and provides terrific rebound for the Chargers. Ashby is a smart decision-maker, sound overhead and a quality defensive spoiler. Averaged 19.2 disposals in 14 TAC matches this year at 70.7 per cent efficiency.

Click here to view AFL.com.au's 30-day draft countdown

Upside:
Ashby isn't the type of player to have a massive highlights reel, but he doesn't do a lot wrong. The running defender could not force his way into Vic Metro's division-one winning team at this year's championships but finished his season well for the Oakleigh Chargers in their TAC Cup premiership campaign. Athletic and disciplined, Ashby was given the role to run with Lachie Whitfield in the Chargers' semi-final win over the Dandenong Stingrays. Ashby did a very solid job of limiting the likely No.1 pick's influence, keeping up with him all day and providing attack from his defensive role. It's often the case that because Ashby isn't a flashy player, he might not catch the attention of onlookers. But his role on Whitfield, who everyone was watching closely, was excellent. Given his size and shape, Ashby might end up as a midfielder or wingman depending on which club recruits him, and is seen as something of an AFL prototype. Has had a few knockbacks to get to this point, but has impressed with his ability to keep improving his craft.

"Jason's had a terrific season. He's predominantly played his junior footy as a midfielder, but we thought with his running ability, athleticism, kicking skills, and rebound, that he'd make a nice half-back flanker. We've developed him in that role this year and we think he's had a great season." - Oakleigh Chargers region manager Mark Smart

Downside:
He doesn't possess some real weapons like other prospects, which might count against him. And, given his non-appearance at the championships, Ashby hasn't been exposed playing with and against the best talent in the country. Nevertheless, his overall package and scope for improvement will interest clubs.

Plays like:
Although he's a little bit shorter than Sydney Swans defender Alex Johnson, Ashby is of the same mould. He runs and carries the ball out of the backline but knows when to shut down an opponent. Doesn't have blistering pace like Johnson but is quick and in control when he has possession.

Draft range:
Ashby will probably need to add some muscle before being ready for senior action, so the club that picks him will have a longer-term view. He seems likely to get his name read out in the middle to back-end of the draft and could fit into St Kilda's needs as a new half-back and midfield option, especially after Jamie Cripps' departure. Carlton, too, could be a good fit in the 30-50 range.

Athletic and disciplined, Ashby was given the role to run with Lachie Whitfield in the Chargers' semi-final win over the Dandenong Stingrays. Ashby did a very solid job of limiting the likely No.1 pick's influence, keeping up with him all day and providing attack from his defensive role.

sounds promising

"Jason's had a terrific season. He's predominantly played his junior footy as a midfielder, but we thought with his running ability, athleticism, kicking skills, and rebound, that he'd make a nice half-back flanker. We've developed him in that role this year and we think he's had a great season." - Oakleigh Chargers region manager Mark Smart

So he's a good kick or bad:confused:

Watching the video on the clubs site I got a bit of a Darren Milburn look about him. Looks fairly one sided, tbh I think we overpaid.
David Zaharakis was also one-sided as a junior

Ashby lacks penetration and depth to his kicking but that is something the coaches can work on! What he has that differentiates himself with other players around that mark is Jason's work ethic and ability to shut down his opponent and win contested footy and attack the other way. Looking forward to watching him develop in the VFL and making an impact in 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what i have seen of him his kicking is fine. No he can not pin point 50 meter passes on a regular basis while running out of defense but he does not miss that often in the 30 meter range.
Very good defender, can play a run with role against the best mids and likes to attack from half back.

I like this selection...like his ability to SHUT DOWN a player (whitfield). God knows we need accountable small/medium defenders, but is still happy to work hard and create an option with adequate foot/hand skill set. Yep...we need badly. Tick Dons!

From what i have seen of him his kicking is fine. No he can not pin point 50 meter passes on a regular basis while running out of defense but he does not miss that often in the 30 meter range.
Very good defender, can play a run with role against the best mids and likes to attack from half back.
Would it be fair to say (across our picks) there has been a concentration (this draft) on guys who can make smart decisions & consistently run to the right spots, when given defensive jobs in the midfield or half-back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back