GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC
GEECAT , you must be super happy.You named him early got the one you wanted.

Stoked mate.

Not much to add to what's been said. It's true that he lacks pure pace, but I really do think his ability to continuously run hard makes up for it in some respects. I've said it before, but give me a kid who will do the hard running over the flashy, but lazy, speed demons.

Leadership is the sealer - not sure if many who attended the Championships noticed, but the lad pretty much captained the Vic Country boys from the bench vocally. We don't have too many of his leadership type around as it is - guys who are prepared to be vocal as well as lead by example on the field through their play.

Conan Troutman

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/11/25/1164341455071.html

Geelong captures a Selwood and calms a mother's heart

Michael Gleeson
November 26, 2006

WHEN the Brisbane Lions bypassed her son and opted for a ruckman from Perth, Maree Selwood was consumed with the gut-wrenching fear that she would lose another son to a third state.

She had already lost one to Brisbane and another to Perth. The notion of her third son disappearing to a different state was almost too much to contemplate. Port Adelaide loomed. For a family from Bendigo this seemed an unusually cruel fate.

It was not presumptuous or arrogant to believe the third of her four sons, Joel, might be selected in Victoria for he is a sublime talent, and possibly the best midfielder in the draft. He has been compared favourably with Luke Ball.

"We thought West Coast (where Adam plays) was out of the question because being premiers their pick was later and Brisbane was there but when they passed on him we thought 'oh no he is going to go to Port Adelaide'," Maree said.

"I would have been absolutely shattered if he went there, it would be just too hard, it is honestly too hard, especially when they are playing seconds football you just never get to see them.

"When they (Port) picked Travis Boak we thought it would be Hawthorn he would go to but we are very very happy with Geelong, over the moon."

Joel Selwood was taken by the Cats with selection seven and thus the first Selwood remains in Victoria — albeit the Victorian club the furthest drive from Bendigo.

"My husband and I said 'well I will give you a kiss on Friday and you can see two games and I will see two games and see you again on Monday'," Maree joked.

"No, we are on top of the world, we couldn't be happier. With what had been in the papers and on the internet we thought 'well he is going to be drafted', so after that it was where he went. Right now we are drinking champagne and having a barbecue."

For a time Joel Selwood could have been taken as early as No. 1, with many observers regarding him as the finest pure footballer in the draft, but knee injuries have dogged his TAC Cup years and created doubts about whether there was a risk with his selection.

His manager Tom Petroro acknowledged the concerns.

"We spoke with all of the clubs about Joel and it is fair to say there was a concern about his knee but we have the surgeon's reports and he has been completely cleared on all fronts and there is no reason to think he will have trouble with it," Petroro said.

"And more importantly he feels really good."

Selwood is not overly quick, though pace is not a problem. He also brings a reputation as a player of great leadership potential, which surely was an additional attraction for Geelong where leadership has long been a thorny issue.

For now Joel is happy to play, not lead, and to have been picked by the club he supports was an unimaginable thrill.

"I am very happy to be off to the Cattery," he said. "I was a Cat — my uncle got me into it as a young age. Troy had the same dream of going to the club you barracked for so it is great.

"Our hearts were beating pretty quick when the two interstate clubs came around early and we were lucky enough to get through that so I am very happy.

"The morning just went for ages. We were listening to the radio and then a few champagnes were cracked. Adam and Troy both came down so it was good to have them here with me. They just said to relax and enjoy it because you can't control anything now so just sit back and relax."

Jock Clark 2

Team Captain
Dec 17, 2005
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Great pick-up for Cats.
QEO grandstand is listed on the National Heritage register, Void. It might be old (early 1900s) but it has a sense of history about it.
Joel Selwood's TAC CUp under-18 teammate Andy Collins is off to Richmond.

gregWAllan

Debutant
Apr 23, 2005
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats, Sandhurst, Man City
Great pick-up for Cats.
QEO grandstand is listed on the National Heritage register, Void. It might be old (early 1900s) but it has a sense of history about it.

It certainly does for me. I've spent years, going back to the sixties, in the Sandhurst rooms under that stand. The ground itself, even if a slightly odd shape and very big, is one of the best imaginable to play on.

Joel Selwood is said by locals to be the best of the brothers. The little I've seen of him he was all class. Always able to create time and space for himself and others.

LifeSpan-Void

So, you’re leaving.
Jun 7, 2005
The belly of a snake
AFL Club
Geelong
Great pick-up for Cats.

Yeah, so what? Nothing to do with it being old, it's just a disgusting piece of architecture. All it is good for is hiding the CCB smokers from getting caught before school.

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC
The Wiz has been kind enough to post his profile on Selwood.

Joel Selwood (Bendigo Pioneers)

182/80 mid-age right foot (dual-sided) midfielder/HBF.

*STYLE LIKE: L Ball

*MY RANKING (not meant to reflect appropriate draft pick to use): 11

*PROBABILITY OF AFL CAREER: Definite. Ready year 1.

- Within an AFL team list, could prove capable of SUSTAINING a ranking of 5-10.

*HURT FACTORS (Offensive/Defensive/Negative): M / H / L-M

*REACH (compared to the average player of his height): 4cm disadvantage.

*TRADEMARK:

- Hard running to get to or make a contest then show courage, balance and ball control to finish up with the pill and, displaying good vision, do an accurate feed to a well-spotted target then block for that team-mate then run on.

*MAIN SELLING POINTS:

- Competitiveness
- Endurance and making full use of it
- Read the play
- Ethic
- Vision inside traffic
- Handball
- Consistency
- Ball control

*MAIN QUERY:

- Pace
- After-effect of knee injury.

*SUMMARY ASSESSMENT, RECOMMENDATION:

- A highly competitive First Dibs midfielder who is an elite play-reader with great ability to win the ball and to pressure opponents from winning it cleanly. A very balanced genuine footballer who has excellent vision and is very good by hand and strong overhead.

You can always be confident that he will get to a helluva lot of contests and be very competitive in any type of contest, ground level or overhead, regardless of pressure, and against different types of opponents. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in smarts and competitiveness. If I had to describe him in "one" word it would probably be either "relentless" or "highly-competitive".

- Shorter than his twin brothers but more reliable disposal and decision-making. In most other respects, he has the typical Selwood positives (courage, ethic, endurance, competitiveness, overhead, lack of pace).

I would expect him to go about 6-8. I ranked just slightly lower at 11 (including Hawkins) but, subject to knee recovery, he will definitely be a very good AFL player and probably plug 'n play.

*DISPOSAL:

- Very good by hand. Not failsafe but his good feeds have high hurt factor - very sharp, powerful or well-weighted, and usually to a spotted target in clear space. Very quick hands. Plenty of accurate lookaways and "gather and feed in same motion"s.

- Nothing special (in any way) about his kicking. I would describe his kicking overall as "OK". He is certainly a more reliable kick than Armitage and no worse than Hislop for hitting targets. Gibbs and Moss, for example, are more reliable kicks.

- Healthy mix of kicks to feeds and long kicks to short.

- Dual-sided.

*DECISION-MAKING, SMARTS:

- Reads the play very well.

- Plenty of players cover a lot of ground but, unlike some, Selwood routinely runs to the right areas of the ground at the right time and to the right spots at a play. Bobs up all over the place, such is his combination of endurance, ethic and play-reading.

- Excellent shortish distance vision (i.e. options within handballing distance), especially from inside traffic.

- Very footy smart. Not just instinctive smarts but in his ability to direct his team mates (incl rucks) and to have a regular eye on where players of both teams are positioning themselves. That was evident even last year in the U18 Champs as below-age. Also very good at cutting the angles, a big help when you lack some pace.

- He's one of those players whose disposal decision-making is not as reliable when he has plenty of time on the run as it is when he has little time to think. His ability to think his way out of trouble, very quickly spot the right option with great vision and instinctive smarts, and time and weight his feeds is excellent. When his brain doesn't need to be sharp, he can let himself down by kicking to a contest a bit too often.

- Very sharp evasion and alertness. Good traffic management.

- Disciplined.

*HANDS:

Usually clean, all levels.

*OVERHEAD MARKING:

- Very competitive for his size, despite (officially) a 4cm reach disadvantage. Good balance in a marking contest and good judgement and hands. Fearless and can mark from all positions, including across the face of the pack or with the flight.

*ATHLETICISM:

- For injury reasons, I wouldn't read too much (anything?) into his DC results.

- Excellent endurance

- Definitely lacks pace but is somewhat quicker, especially off the mark, than his test times over the last 2 years would suggest. (In particular his 5m and 10m DC times, which were shockers presumably due to knee recovery). A genuinely quick player will leave Selwood in his wake on a long run. However, first the player might have to get the ball instead of Selwood and/or might have to get around him and good luck to whoever can do both.

- Very balanced.

- Is furnishing into a lovely build for an AFL inside type. In appearance, Selwood looked like a smaller version of Xavier Ellis last year but has added 7kg since and looked very strong this year.

*INTENSITY, ETHIC:

- No questioning either his ethic or intensity.

- Covers an enormous amount of ground and runs very hard both ways.

- Fearless.

- Attacks both man and ball. Effective tackler.

- Has a bit of controlled aggro in him. Won't be physically intimidated but doesn't mind making his own physical presence felt.

*CONSISTENCY:

- Consistent game to game. Output can be quiet in a particular ¼ or even ½ but effort is very consistent and he never finishes a game without having had impact for a sustained period.

*AFL VERSATILITY:

- Natural onballer in a Luke Ball sense but potentially in a Kirk style as well. Could play either flank role (esp HBF), or even wing on the right opponent.

*CSI (COMPARATIVE SCOPE for IMPROVEMENT):

- No special factors. Missed virtually a year and is from the country but has been right through the system.

*SOME STATS:

- Stats summary '06 TAC:
Averaged 22 disposals in 3 TAC games. 1.7 contested markes. 4.0 tackles. Total goals 3-2 .
13 kicks per 20 disposals.
Ineffective kicks: 2.3 per 10 kicks.
Ineff handballs: 3.2 per 10 handballs (ranking No.25 for highest in comp).
Ineffective disposals: 5.1 per 20 disp.
HandBall Receives: 6.4 per 20 disp. Uncontested marks: 3.9 per 20 disp. HR+UM: 10.3 per 20 disp.
Contested Marks: 1.5 per 20 disp.
At least 24 disposals in 2 games.

- Stats summary '05 TAC:
Averaged 24 disposals in 12 TAC games (ranking No.17 in comp). 4.9 marks. 3.2 tackles. Total goals 6-6 . 13 kicks per 20 disposals. 4 marks per 20 possessions.
- Mid-way trend .. % change in disposals was -1%. % change in marks was + 4%. % change in tackles was -19%.

- Stats summary '05 U18 Champs:
Averaged 22 disposals and 5.3 marks in his 3 games. (Best TD 26).
Kicks per 20 disp: 10.
Kicks long vs short: 19-10 (7 long per 10 kicks).
Ineffective kicks: 5/34 (1.5 per 10 kicks), incl 0 clangers (0.0 per 10 kicks).
Ineffective handballs: 4/32 (1.3 per 10 handballs), incl 0 clangers (0.0 per 10 handballs).
Ineffective disposals: 9/66 (2.7 per 20 disp), incl 0 clangers (0.0 per 20 disp).
HandBall Receives: 21/66 (6 per 20 disp).
Hardball gets: 9/66 (3 per 20 disp).
S.P. clearances: 8/66 (2 per 20 disp), incl 1 BU (0 per 20 disp), incl 4 CBC (1 per 20 disp).
Tackles: 11 (Avg 3.7 per game).
Marks: 16 (5 per 20 disp), incl 2 contested (1.3 per 10 marks).

*OTHER STUFF:

- All Aust LY.
- TAC Team Of Year LY: HFF.
- AIS
- 2 Coaches Award votes '06 (polled in 1 games).
- Missed almost all '06 after knee injury Rnd 6. (Also had to contend with knee and hammy problems in the few games he did play in '06)

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
My Cous played with him at Sandhurst in the Bendigo Football League and he said that he played 1s when he was 14 or 15.Preedy good if you can play 1s at that age. He said he was the best Selwood footballer whole in the family.

fifth quarter

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2006
Time keepers' box
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
not so sure about your cous and his info
i can't recall joel s. playing ones at sandhurst but maybe he sneaked in for one or 2 games
on the selwood family the youngest one of the 4 -- Scott -- is supposed to be the best of all

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
not so sure about your cous and his info
i can't recall joel s. playing ones at sandhurst but maybe he sneaked in for one or 2 games
on the selwood family the youngest one of the 4 -- Scott -- is supposed to be the best of all

Yeah u r right he played bout 2 games he wasnt a consistent? (prob spell wrong) My cous played 1s ther when debut his first game. Still not a bad effort though

Catter

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
so, where does this leave our midfield??

you surely cant have bartel, ling and selwood in the centre square!!!

He would start of the Half back flank woundn't he (if he gets a guenrsey)?
But ..... Ling for sure. I hope Ling will play more up forward nextyear (too slow).:thumbsu:

Reg Hickey

Club Legend
May 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
so, where does this leave our midfield??

you surely cant have bartel, ling and selwood in the centre square!!!

I agree completely! That is why I was less enthusiastic about picking up Selwood in the draft than a few others around here. But we've got him now, and he looks like a potential star, so I'm happy.

But it does raise the question of what do we do with the midfield?

I really, really, really, really hope that Ling is no longer a regular midfielder. I can see him playing in there as a tagger when the opposition suits (eg. he normally shuts down Scott West really well), but other than that get him out of there! He is not a play maker and in fact probably *s our momentum at times. Maybe forward line?

Bartel is a quality player and natural centreman, as is Selwood by all accounts, so I would suggest that once Selwood finds his feet in the AFL that those two and probably Corey rotate through that position.

We need a bit more pace to complement those slower guys, so I think the rover and ruck rover rotations should be among GAJ, Chappy, Rooke, Prismall, Tenace (this has got to be his year ...), Corey, Byrnes and occasionally the Moondog if we need a bit of a shake up. In the longer term Djerrkura, Stokes and Hogan could also be great on ball options, and I think the first two at least should be given the occasional run in there in 2007.

I would then have Mackie, Gamble, Varcoe, Tenace, Monica and Kelly running up and down the wings.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I really, really, really, really hope that Ling is no longer a regular midfielder. I can see him playing in there as a tagger when the opposition suits (eg. he normally shuts down Scott West really well), but other than that get him out of there! He is not a play maker and in fact probably *s our momentum at times. Maybe forward line?

No he doesn't. He might have the 2nd time this year but historically West has slaughtered us. Gets 30-35 touches every time we play them. I agree completely about getting Ling out of there, but I mean the team, not just the centre square. To me he is our biggest and most obvious weakness in the onballers. And I don't believe going forward is the answer. People seem to forget he was tried as a forward when he arrived at Geelong (2000-2001) and failed miserably.

Reg Hickey

Club Legend
May 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
No he doesn't. He might have the 2nd time this year but historically West has slaughtered us. Gets 30-35 touches every time we play them. I agree completely about getting Ling out of there, but I mean the team, not just the centre square. To me he is our biggest and most obvious weakness in the onballers. And I don't believe going forward is the answer. People seem to forget he was tried as a forward when he arrived at Geelong (2000-2001) and failed miserably.

Actually, I tend to agree with you, but was reluctant to say it.

As much as this might rile a few Geelong supporters, I don't think he's in our best 22, and in fact is more of a liability than an asset. Painfully slow, often poor disposal, decision-making average at best, his only real attributes are leadership (apparently), endurance and heart. I have no doubt he gives his absolute all for the club on a weekly basis, and that is why many fans love him, but that is not enough by itself to justify a place in the team. We're in the business of winning premierships, and they are hard enough to win even without any blokes who are just not up to it.

People will ask how we can say that a bloke who's finished in the top 4 in our B&F for the last 5 years straight should be dropped, but to be honest it really stumps me as to how he gets that many votes. We had some disappointing players this year, but I still reckon I can name at least 12 players who contributed more to the GFC's cause in 2006 than Lingy. He certainly stands out physically with that hair and very distinctive gait, so maybe thats it? Actually I think the vote-givers must just be part of the perpetual Ling Love-In that seems to pervade the GFC.

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
And I don't believe going forward is the answer. People seem to forget he was tried as a forward when he arrived at Geelong (2000-2001) and failed miserably.

So because he was average in his rookie year he will be average now? He was an absolute stick then. Completely different player now.

reaper

Debutant
Suspended
Nov 29, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Colin Wisbey still thinks Mark McGough will make it

Even to this day he still says it, wouldn't put much store by his ratings

May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
Joel_Selwood_small.jpg

Joel Selwood

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 14
Height: 182 cm
Weight: 82 kg
DOB: 26 May 1988
Recruited From: Bendigo U18

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Re: No. 14 Joel Selwood

deadset gun in the future I think, plays alot like marc murphy I feel, makes the right decisions and gets it enough to be a very valuable player.

Big Nasty

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2006
Gippsland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cats VFL

This is one first year player I can confidently say will be a superstar. A-grade football brain, reads the ball well and throws his body into the contests. Classy disposal as well.

GeeCat

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2003
TJBC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
TDot, LFC

Our best in the VFL outing today.

Not as profilic with the ball as, say, Davenport, but (seemingly) was one of very few out there with a brain working. Targetted from the first bounce, copped alot of close attention, and tagged heavily, but won the contested ball in close, made quick, good decisions, hit targets with his disposal, and consistently ran hard to create an option.

Will be back in the seniors sooner than later.

Not as profilic with the ball as, say, Davenport, but (seemingly) was one of very few out there with a brain working. Targetted from the first bounce, copped alot of close attention, and tagged heavily, but won the contested ball in close, made quick, good decisions, hit targets with his disposal, and consistently ran hard to create an option.

VFL - 9th June Report

Agreed, He copped a big hit early on into the second quarter. Came off and vomited right in front of me. He was the stand out today. Didn't wanna come off the ground at the end.

Exactly.

Back