Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

There was one moment he went running into oncoming traffic to mark a ball and got hurt for it. Was shocked to see him make that effort, but copped a nasty hit.

The one time he decides to be brave, he gets hit - probably cause for him to recede further into his shell.
This is what happens when you dont fully commit to a contest.
You get hurt.

Yeah. He’s not that good unfortunately

Swans don’t usually let gun players leave.

Oh well. He’s still not even out worst.
They lost Dawson, but the Adelaide recruiters don’t usually fill up with potatoes when they target an opposition player.

The amount of misses this club has had bringing in other players from clubs is at laughable levels.

It’s the worst kind of miss because you actually have some exposed form at the level to make a call.

For some unknown reason we keep taking punts on players turning it around, but instead they just become a worse version of what they were at the previous club.

Let’s rattle off some recent players from other clubs we have brought in.

Lachie Young - bust
Bonar - shit
Ahern - talented but lazy. Bust
Corr - soul destroying dumb spud
CCJ - big immobile potato
Stephenson - flaky cat
Atu - useless
Stephens - scaredy cat
Tucker - average garden variety potato
Fisher - could turn into another bust
Greenwood - has some qualities but hardly selected
Howe - ****ing hopeless
Shiels - retirement plan
Logue - tick

I have listed 14 players from other clubs and you could only really mark one as a tick.

A hit rate of one in fourteen is a disgrace. You would think that if you only managed to get 7 AFL quality players out of 14 attempts at a lowly 50% hit rate you would be joining the unemployment queue. Instead we can’t even get to that pathetic result and have what looks like a nuclear waste land of player acquisition.

****ing one of the worst moves this club made was bringing in that Champion Data Moneyball clown that started the rot. campaigner sent us to a ****ing crater deeper than the Grand Canyon, and we still haven’t crawled out.

I am afraid to say it but Rawling also
has a lot of his fingerprints all over this abomination and should be ****ed off at the end of the year as well.

Last edited:

They lost Dawson, but the Adelaide recruiters don’t usually fill up with potatoes when they target an opposition player.

The amount of misses this club has had bringing in other players from clubs is at laughable levels.

It’s the worst kind of miss because you actually have some exposed form at the level to make a call.

For some unknown reason we keep taking punts on players turning it around, but instead they just become a worse version of what they were at the previous club.

Let’s rattle off some recent players from other clubs we have brought it.

Lachie Young - bust
Bonar - s**t
Stephenson - flaky cat
Atu - useless
Stephens - scaredy cat
Howe - ******* hopeless
Shiels - retirement plan
Logue - tick

I have listed 14 players from other clubs and you could only really mark one as a tick.

A hit rate of one in fourteen is a disgrace. You would think that if you only managed to get 7 AFL quality players out of 14
attempts at a lowly 50% hit rate you would be joining the unemployment queue. Instead here we are with what looks like a nuclear waste land of player acquisition.

******* one of the worst moves this club made was bringing in that Champion Data Moneyball clown that started the rot. campaigner sent us to a ******* crater deeper than the Grand Canyon, and we still haven’t crawled out.

has a lot of his fingerprints all over this abomination and should be ****ed off at the end of the year as well.
A lot of potatoes in there. Are you hungry?

Let’s rattle off some recent players from other clubs we have brought it.

Lachie Young - bust
Bonar - s**t
Stephenson - flaky cat
Atu - useless
Stephens - scaredy cat
Howe - ******* hopeless
Shiels - retirement plan
Logue - tick

A hit rate of one in fourteen is a disgrace. You would think that if you only managed to get 7 AFL quality players out of 14
attempts at a lowly 50% hit rate you would be joining the unemployment queue. Instead here we are with what looks like a nuclear waste land of player acquisition.

******* one of the worst moves this club made was bringing in that Champion Data Moneyball clown that started the rot. campaigner sent us to a ******* crater deeper than the Grand Canyon, and we still haven’t crawled out.

Well said.

Logue - I rate with the pick we were forced to trade. Hard to judge post knee but so far no issues
Fisher - Too early to call but 4 years on exposed form - this is 50-50
Greenwood - has filled a role since Cunners went down with illness. Cost us nothing. Isn't holding anyone back. Good for the VFL team
Shiels - Played some good footy last year and did well with onfield leadership and tagging Merrett

Stephenson - His 2021 feels like a long time ago and even his form last year feels way off. Its heading toward a major bust as his body seems to have fallen off a cliff this year. 5 year deal that expires in 2025
Corr - Terrible contract. Also end of 2025. This has been a miserable pick up overall
Tucker - his 2023 season was so so but he has until 2025 as well on his 3 year deal. F***
CCJ - Probably the worst deal considering what we gave up in Tarrant and the 2nd rounder and the contract terms. A sackable offence with his deal again until 2025
Stephens - A 4 year f***ing deal. 4! Jesus Christ we don't deserve success
Bigoa Nyuon - low risk free hit but not expected to make it
Toby Pink -Another low risk free hit. Not up to AFL standard

Bonar - Amazing he lasted 4 years to be honest but was low risk
Lachie Young - Another low risk type who lasted 3 seasons
Howe - I genuinely cannot believe we signed this campaigner last year
Ahern - Body seemed cooked. Didn't have the drive to make it
Josh Walker - Filled a role but wasn't AFL standard. Big reason why our playing group has embraced this loser mentality
Atu - Bet we thought we had pulled a swifty on the Pies here. They went on to play in prelims and win a flag and both the boys we picked up as steals yet its the Pies who are laughing in retrospect

Well said.

Logue - I rate with the pick we were forced to trade. Hard to judge post knee but so far no issues
Greenwood - has filled a role since Cunners went down with illness. Cost us nothing. Isn't holding anyone back. Good for the VFL team
Shiels - Played some good footy last year and did well with onfield leadership and tagging Merrett

Stephenson - His 2021 feels like a long time ago and even his form last year feels way off. Its heading toward a major bust as his body seems to have fallen off a cliff this year. 5 year deal that expires in 2025
Corr - Terrible contract. Also end of 2025. This has been a miserable pick up overall
Tucker - his 2023 season was so so but he has until 2025 as well on his 3 year deal. F***
CCJ - Probably the worst deal considering what we gave up in Tarrant and the 2nd rounder and the contract terms. A sackable offence with his deal again until 2025

Josh Walker - Filled a role but wasn't AFL standard. Big reason why our playing group has embraced this loser mentality
Atu - Bet we thought we had pulled a swifty on the Pies here. They went on to play in prelims and win a flag and both the boys we picked up as steals yet its the Pies who are laughing in retrospect
It’s so damning that you look at our total player acquisition for a number of years and can genuinely say that out of the lot we may have picked one winner in Logue? Kallan Dawson may end up a good solid player but the other MSD **** ups would far outweigh any win we may have with him.

I know Brady doesn’t make the final call on everything, but the fact that he has survived this long at the club having played some part in this abomination is reaching joke levels.

Some of the list strategy decisions that have been made is going to see alot of mediocre footballers finish up at the club in 2025.
My question is who or how does the club expect to replace all of Corr, CCJ, Stephenson and Tucker.
That's a decent chunk of the salary cap who I know Sheezel, Wardlaw, Kerch and Durrsma will chew up. But I hope there's more.

It just seems like list management doesn't even have any sophisticated strategy to it.
They're trying to make us competitive yet we keep going backwards or treading water.

The loss of Tarryn Thomas is going to hurt. A pick 8 talent ready to burn being axed from the club. You cant just shuffle the deck chairs.
When you look at the deals we have given out and the lack of talent overall, its going to hurt for a while yet.

It’s so damning that you look at our total player acquisition for a number of years and can genuinely say that out of the lot we may have picked one winner in Logue?

I know Brady doesn’t make the final call on everything, but the fact that he has survived this long at the club having played some part in this abomination is reaching joke levels.
The strike rate is a fail.
Go target these players fair enough, but its the contract length term that f***s us up. We are holding onto these blokes and burning cap space, yet I hear were going to target the next May or Lever in the next few years.
May and Lever didn't come cheap. And were wasting coin on C graders.

Says it all really about how we are perceived in industry circles that managers and players only agree to come here knowing they are guaranteed a mega deal.
This is disastrous.
We can't simply build from the draft only and expect to rise up the ladder. Which is why I see Brady's role as officially untenable. He has to go.

Stephens is a pretty easy target for mine. Yes he has been disappointing, however our new game style doesn’t exactly suit wingers and Norwood oval completely takes out wingman.

Against Carlton, whenever he touched the ball things happen. We need to find a way for him to have 20 disposals a game.

Stephens on one wing, Scott the other is the logical pairing for the short term and long term. Works bloody hard defensively.

Unfortunately he only has played 40
Games of football…. One of many on our list who simply are being asked to do too much at this stage of career.

Stephens is a pretty easy target for mine. Yes he has been disappointing, however our new game style doesn’t exactly suit wingers and Norwood oval completely takes out wingman.

Against Carlton, whenever he touched the ball things happen. We need to find a way for him to have 20 disposals a game.

Stephens on one wing, Scott the other is the logical pairing for the short term and long term. Works bloody hard defensively.

Games of football…. One of many on our list who simply are being asked to do too much at this stage of career.
Did us no favours at all. Another tick to the conspiracy against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s so damning that you look at our total player acquisition for a number of years and can genuinely say that out of the lot we may have picked one winner in Logue? Kallan Dawson may end up a good solid player but the other MSD * ups would far outweigh any win we may have with him.

I'm curious about Scott Clayton's role. He has quite the brownfingers past himself.

Hey Dylan highlight from your game today

Run Away GIF

Soft campaigner!
We're carrying too many who pull out of contest's at the moment.

The ground had nothing do with it.

The man literally played SANFL footy at the ground for Norwood.
He was the only player who knew it well.

He’s being canned for being a deadset cat at the contest

I have some seriously low expectations but giving him a 4 year deal and watching him run around and get it 15 times.
He's one sided.
Has an okay peg on him.

That's it.
We arent rising up the ladder any time soon with acquisitions like this. If he plays next week or not, I don't care.
Stop hap measure till we can churn the list more but 4 year deals for blokes like this are killing us.

I do acknowledge however its likely required to get these deals over the line. Hardly like quality players are kicking the door down to come from othere teams. At least fish looks like a decent pickup.

He went for a mark and took some physical heat in front of us on the wing. I wouldn’t say it was a huge hit. He remained down for a long time. Lions player just bounced up and went in with it. I was at Adelaide oval last night. Butters took a serious hit. Back to hit feet in a second and got the ball back. That’s the fundamental difference.

Well said.

Really great assessment. I blame Heath Shaw at GWS for feeding intel to Rhys Shaw and the recruiting team about the amazing talent at GWS we could pursue. 2 horrible Aidans and Ahern to show for it. The CCJ deal really does my head in. It’s like they thought this guy was going to be the next Luke Jackson.

The clean out of our list management we did a few years ago has not resolved the incompetence presently being observed looking at the Stephens and Fisher contracts.

Reckon he wasnt suited to a ground with no wings to be honest, but still disappointing so far.
Good players and good coaches would work through something like this. It was his local ground growing up, so if he can’t use that intel to best advantage then he and the coaches are muppets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back