Delisted #19: Shaun Edwards - Rookied by Sydney, now retired from AFL - 22/9

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, his work ethic was virtually non - existent after a blistering first quarter. (carrying something because he played forward predominantly for the rest of the game).

Absolutely love THAT mark. Taking claim for it. Did tell "sit on his shoulders Shaunny Ed"

and that he did.

You can see me in the far right of the camera shot my arms flayed in the air before he has even taken it.

I just knew it was gonna happen :D

To be honest, his work ethic was virtually non - existent after a blistering first quarter. (carrying something because he played forward predominantly for the rest of the game).

Absolutely love THAT mark. Taking claim for it. Did tell "sit on his shoulders Shaunny Ed"

and that he did.

You can see me in the far right of the camera shot my arms flayed in the air before he has even taken it.

I just knew it was gonna happen :D

Blistering first quarters followed by a second half fade out are a bit of a theme for the boy.

More than convinced that after a big preseason he will get very close to forcing his way into the side even at half back (which is not as absurd as it sounded before Dempsey's 2014).

He played as a half forward against Coburg and didn't look particularly comfortable.

He seemed to struggled with the defensive requirements of the position (sometimes to the annoyance of those on the bench).

He played as a half forward against Coburg and didn't look particularly comfortable.

He seemed to struggled with the defensive requirements of the position (sometimes to the annoyance of those on the bench).
thanks, that is interesting as I thought when playing across half back is defensive game was good. Hopefully a good learning experience for him. I think he has the tools to be a pretty exciting AFL player.

thanks, that is interesting as I thought when playing across half back is defensive game was good. Hopefully a good learning experience for him. I think he has the tools to be a pretty exciting AFL player.

It's a different type of defence and given the two quarters of virtual flooding, in response to a 3 to 5 goal wind, the discipline to operate within the desired structure and level of running required was much higher than normal.

He goes missing for large parts of the game, and the occasional brain fade. On talent I'd say he's only behind Ryder, Heppell, Goddard and Watson at our club, but he hasn't put it all together.

Is Edwards seriously more talented than Daniher, Z.Merrett and Gleeson? If so I am up and about thus morning.

Is Edwards seriously more talented than Daniher, Z.Merrett and Gleeson? If so I am up and about thus morning.
As talented as Daniher and Merrett, more talented than Gleeson. He could be as good as Long IMO.

Edwards is a genuine freak show and would be as talented as anyone we have.

You just need to see the one handed pick ups at full pace in wet, greasy conditions, his side stepping through groups of opposition players, serious pace with the ability to use the ball well at pace, 60m kicks and/or the occasional screamer.

We signed him on a three year deal probably in equal parts to coax him out of GWS and also because he is a long term project. He plays quarters and maybe a half and struggles with the defensive/structured aspects of playing in the middle and forward in particular (he was quite good at half back for the first two months of the year).

Last edited:
Was playing out of the square at times on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People in the NT were saying he was the most naturally gifted player that St Mary's has ever produced when he first went to the giants. This is a club that's produced Maurice and Cyril Rioli, Michael Long, Ronnie Burns and the Burgoynes, so it's a f***ing enormous wrap.

I tend to forget he has already played 12 games of senior football.

People still try to convince me that Cupido was talented - Yeah got to do it consistently to be talented.

No, you've got to do it consistently to be a good player. Talent can shine through laziness once in a while.

People still try to convince me that Cupido was talented - Yeah got to do it consistently to be talented.

cupido was an absolute freak…

Did love a punt and a pint though

Should've been given the number 13.

That's just wrong. Talent is an innate ability which is either applied or not applied.

The consistent application of Edwards' talent is what the club would be after.

And yes, Cupido was outrageously talented.

Again the delusion continues - Read Lord Nicholson's earlier.

I would have thought that his post was consistent with the distinction between talent and performance that, until the last few hours, I thought would have been accepted by every person on the planet.

The reason for discussing talent as opposed to overall quality/performance is because they are distinct concepts.

No one has said Edwards or Cupido are/were good players. All that is being said is that they have an ability to do things with the football that few people can which speaks to the nature of their talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back