Delisted #19: Shaun Edwards - Rookied by Sydney, now retired from AFL - 22/9

Remove this Banner Ad

You would have played more than 10 games if you had blinding AFL talent - His talent at this stage is not AFL standard.

I think he has always been a player who they knew would take time. He can play, as was mentioned before he lacked the application to make it.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you dont have the desire to work you wont play. Sylvia would be a good recent example, could be a very very good player just has a horrible work ethic.
Then again depends how you define "AFL Talent" whether that is just skill or whether you take work ethic into account

You would have played more than 10 games if you had blinding AFL talent - His talent at this stage is not AFL standard.
Possibly would have got more games at GWS last year if he'd stayed. Never expected him to play much last year with us.

Possibly would have got more games at GWS last year if he'd stayed. Never expected him to play much last year with us.
I was about to back you up on that sentiment, but actually, while it is hard to break into our side these days given the quality we have across that board, it can't really be used as an excuse for the the likes of Edwards because the simple reality is that his performances in the VFL have not been particularly impressive.
If there is one continuing concern i have about the club, it is the fact that our VFL team remains average, with few players warranting senior consideration let alone demanding promotion. Every year i think - this will be the year that it will change. Every year i am disappointed. To be fair, injuries were probably the biggest issue last season in that section of players...

He has athletic talent. Not sure about footy and mental talent though. Application is found easier for some than others because it's a talent. Finding the ball and using it well are also talents. He hasn't shown much on either front there to date. However, he's apparently applied himself well this off season and I think there is no reason he couldn't learn certain leading patterns where his speed could help break up opposition defence.

He looked good today in the match simulation. Playing forward, took a couple of nice marks and kicked a couple of goals

Why is your definition of talent different to literally everyone else's yaco?

Went down there primarily to watch TBC. However during a tackling drill Edwards caught my eye. Followed him a bit during the game simulation and he impressed. Not sure how he fits into 2015 but yes agree, potential Licka replacement in 16 , maybe sooner. Has athleticism and reads the play. Probably has lacked mental toughness as others have mentioned. Another year of improvement and I can definitely see him in that high half forward role.

I think he has always been a player who they knew would take time. He can play, as was mentioned before he lacked the application to make it.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you dont have the desire to work you wont play. Sylvia would be a good recent example, could be a very very good player just has a horrible work ethic.
Then again depends how you define "AFL Talent" whether that is just skill or whether you take work ethic into account

Sylvia is an average player - His record shows that - Continue to believe that Sylvia is a good player.

Why is your definition of talent different to literally everyone else's yaco?

My definition is practical - AFL talent is being able to produce on a consistent basis - As others have pointed out, Edwards has struggled for consistency at VFL level - Edwards may buck he trend - Watched GOD play reserves for four years and suddenly he blossomed as a player - It happens from time to time - But on current form Edwards has shown that he is lacking AFL talent.

My definition is practical - AFL talent is being able to produce on a consistent basis - As others have pointed out, Edwards has struggled for consistency at VFL level - Edwards may buck he trend - Watched GOD play reserves for four years and suddenly he blossomed as a player - It happens from time to time - But on current form Edwards has shown that he is lacking AFL talent.

So a player can't be described as talented until he's produced at AFL level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have consistently used the term AFL talented.

I don't see why Edwards can't be described as having "AFL talent" who up until this point has lacked the work rate and application to reach the level required of a productive AFL player.

Surely you agree that talent is only half the equation.

This is simply the wrong use of the word talent, regardless of how you spin it.

Sylvia is an average player - His record shows that - Continue to believe that Sylvia is a good player.

I didnt say he WAS a good player I said he COULD be a good player if he had a better workrate, try re-reading my post a few times if your struggling to understand, I even stated it depends what your definition was. He Has loads of natural talent just cant apply himself. Lovett was another example of someone who had everything required to play just lacked the mental application side of things.

I can see from other responses you are known to be reading from a different dictionary. Im not going to get into an argument over semantics.

I think we throw this 'talent' word around indigenous types far too often simply because they have something special that most others lacked.

Alot of the ones that get talked about are on an AFL list or about to be so they are all the super quick, flashy, can jump super high athletic freaks. However they dont have the talent of endurance, winning consistent hardball, being a big body, having defensive ability as much.

Im being quite broad, i just think they have talents in areas where most of us speaking dont and think its more than it actually is, when in fact they lack in several other areas.

Sorry if this post comes across the wrong way, im certainly not racist. Love watching indigenous play the game. They have some freakish talents that are great to the eye and that most of us didnt even know you could have so we think its all this unbelievable thing when in fact we have other talents that they do not. What talent is greater than the other can only be determined on end result and output. Buddy Franklin probably the only indigenous player up the very top of the comp in regards to players who comes from an indigenous background whereas the rest are filled by the Ablett, Pendlebury, Watson, J.Selwood, SJ, Dangerfield, Fyfe types.

I think we throw this 'talent' word around indigenous types far too often simply because they have something special that most others lacked..... Sorry if this post comes across the wrong way, im certainly not racist. Love watching indigenous play the game.
I think it is pretty damn sad that you have to say 'I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I'm not racist.'

If anyone is offended by this (sooks like Adam Goodes) then they need to harden the **** up. Sick of this PC crap.

It is pretty obvious that the majority of indigenous players, as you've said, have similar attributes. They're usually fast, silk, outside types. How many indigenous Brad Sewel's are there? Pickett about the closest. How many dour defender ala Simon Presti's? How many Brent Harveys? Heaps..

Last edited:
I didnt say he WAS a good player I said he COULD be a good player if he had a better workrate, try re-reading my post a few times if your struggling to understand, I even stated it depends what your definition was. He Has loads of natural talent just cant apply himself. Lovett was another example of someone who had everything required to play just lacked the mental application side of things.

I can see from other responses you are known to be reading from a different dictionary. Im not going to get into an argument over semantics.

Any chance that application is part of talent - Anyway hoping he can do a Gary O'Donnell.

Any chance that application is part of talent - Anyway hoping he can do a Gary O'Donnell.
Application is different to talent. Talent is inate ability. Application is the demonstrated ability to give a s**t enough to make something of yourself, sometimes in spite of a lack of inate talent.

Alot of the ones that get talked about are on an AFL list or about to be so they are all the super quick, flashy, can jump super high athletic freaks. However they dont have the talent of endurance, winning consistent hardball, being a big body, having defensive ability as much.
I think you can carve it up four ways or so.

Physical qualities: height, strength, speed, agility, endurance, etc.
Talent: the capacity to make full use of those qualities. You might also call it Skill, with the former implying something innate, the latter something learned.
Smarts: a combination of decision-making and awareness - knowing where to run, who to pass to, when you're about to be tackled, etc.
Application: the mental strength to to improve wherever possible, and to use #2 and #3 on a consistent basis.

You can roll that all up into a neat yaco-ball called "AFL Talent", but that doesn't help you delineate between players with any sort of granularity, nor determine how or why a player might improve.

Indigenous players often stand out due to a combination of particular physical aspects (speed and agility) with the flair to make full use of them. Some of that must be genetic (you can't learn to run that much faster), but a fair bit would be cultural, reflecting the particular gamestyle dominant in remote communities.

Last edited:
Agree with Kakkle here. Has all the talent in the world just lacks that application across 4 quarters to warrant senior selection. The talent is there, a side step here, slick handball there, a deft kick inside 50 to. Needs to do it for more than a glimpse here and there.
Saw him dominate game early in the year as eth-dog can attest to from Hb. Only problem was, he did it for half. If he can make an impact, even for 3 quarters consistently at VFL level, then watch his transition from VFL > AFL player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with Kakkle here. Has all the talent in the world just lacks that application across 4 quarters to warrant senior selection. The talent is there, a side step here, slick handball there, a deft kick inside 50 to. Needs to do it for more than a glimpse here and there.
Saw him dominate game early in the year as eth-dog can attest to from Hb. Only problem was, he did it for half. If he can make an impact, even for 3 quarters consistently at VFL level, then watch his transition from VFL > AFL player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep. Can't remember which game though unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back