Portfolio 1997 AFL Lightning Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1541836

Carlton's design features a primarily white base for the first time in club history, with a navy top panel inspired by the club's inaugural guernseys, with a curved shape based on the club's monogram, which is featured across the front in traditional fashion, albeit oversized.
That is sick.

Come on you Gold Coast Sharks eh Chargers mmm no, Gladiators, wait no Seagulls, dammit, Gold Coast, just pick a team!

Yeah - I did consider doing Southport (for the Suns) and Canberra (for the Giants) but honestly, no one questions someone for doing an 80s folio without the Dockers, so I wasn’t really going to fret too much.

lightning_melbourne.png

Melbourne's design features the flaming "M" motif from the club emblem as a red wraparound panel on a primarily navy guernsey.

lightning_northmelbourne.png

North Melbourne's design features a prominent white chevron on a royal base, inspired by the club's inaugural VFL jumper, with the Kangaroo logo from the 1996/1997 away guernsey pressed onto the front, as well as the number panel from that same guernsey put onto the back.

View attachment 1542464

Melbourne's design features the flaming "M" motif from the club emblem as a red wraparound panel on a primarily navy guernsey.
guy-slamming.gif

lightning_portadelaide.png

Port Adelaide's design features a white and teal lightning bolt sash and a matching duotone rear number panel, taking inspiration from both the club's away and preseason guernseys from their inaugural 1997 season.​

lightning_richmond.png

Richmond's design features a primarily yellow design for the first time in the club's history, however with a straightened, thicker sash with a smaller yellow sash running through it, creating both the effect of stylised claw marks and paying homage to the club's iconic home jumper.

lightning_stkilda.png

St Kilda's design features black & red diagonally alternating cross on a white base guernsey, with the vertical lines overlapping onto the back.

lightning_sydney.png

Sydney's design features a elements from the 2000 Sydney Olympics logo to promote the upcoming Games, with the Opera House pressed atop a white arch element, representing the Harbour Bridge, with the Sydney 2000 wordmark below the sponsor.

lightning_westcoast.png

West Coast's design features their traditional royal and gold colour way, with a stylised outline of the WA coast as a golden panel across the front, with the club logo pressed below the sponsor.

What, you didn't think I'd find a way to work the Ochre into this somehow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lightning_westernbulldogs.png

The Western Bulldogs' design features a literal 90° spin on their new 1997 home guernsey, with their bands design encompassed within an oversized front vee-yoke, and below the number on the back, with the club logo pressed atop the red and white front bands.

Like the real Lightning Premiership competition, it's over just about as soon as it's begun...

I hope you all enjoyed the portfolio, funnily enough it really sprang to life sitting in a kebab shop the other day with DAT8, or at least that's the first time the idea had really been more than just an idea in my head. Was a whole lot of fun putting this together, first portfolio in around two years and really happy with how it all turned out. Let me know your thoughts guys, I'll try not to take two years for the next portfolio.

On that note, feel free to check out any of my other portfolios, was a nice trip down memory lane for me anyway!

FEDLEAGUE - The Future of Australian Football
Cricket Australia - A 2020 Vision
NSL '99
WAFL 2019 - Welcome to the West
NBL x Adidas
AFL '99

AFL Retro Round

Thanks again to everyone for following along - good timing for post #7000. :)

View attachment 1543339

West Coast's design features their traditional royal and gold colour way, with a stylised outline of the WA coast as a golden panel across the front, with the club logo pressed below the sponsor.

Freight. Mate. Where is the ochre? You havin' a laff?

Now before you get all uppity because it didn't exist until 2000 -

• First of all, time travel exists (I've seen Dr Who, don't get all timey-whimey), who's to say Guy McKenna didn't travel back in time and hand himself the beast that is the Ochre.
  • Second of all, it was in development for at least 10 years, you can't rush perfection, but you can use a prototype in the 1997 Lightning Premiership
  • Thirdly, you're making baby Gil cry :(

Don't make me downvote every post you've ever made. I'll do it, I'm that petty.

Freight. Mate. Where is the ochre? You havin' a laff?

Now before you get all uppity because it didn't exist until 2000 -

• First of all, time travel exists (I've seen Dr Who, don't get all timey-whimey), who's to say Guy McKenna didn't travel back in time and hand himself the beast that is the Ochre.
  • Second of all, it was in development for at least 10 years, you can't rush perfection, but you can use a prototype in the 1997 Lightning Premiership
  • Thirdly, you're making baby Gil cry :(

Don't make me downvote every post you've ever made. I'll do it, I'm that petty.

rewNNO1.png

It was always there, my guy.

So you're saying we didn't get power from the Ochre? The Ochre was inside us all along?

The real Ochre is the friends we made along the way.

View attachment 1543339

It's like the Dog's Breakfast had a baby with one of our early training jumpers.

Ewww.

Brisbane and Collingwood are so much like those old summer season designs, Adelaide and Melbourne are like a retro fauxback to the time, great to see the Sydney 2000 logo back. Another awesome portfolio again mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back