Senior 2. Nathan Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

MFC Website: Coach’s brand suits my style: Jones

TENACIOUS ball-winner Nathan Jones says he is relishing the opportunity to play under new coach Mark Neeld’s revamped game-plan.

“Amongst the boys, the communication and structures [are better] and we’re working together better as a unit,” he said.

“Our intent and competitiveness … guys are willing to put their head over the footy, which is impressive.”

Happy footballers are more often than not good footballers. It sounds like there is a bigger sense of satisfaction and commitment among the players so far.

2012 Season Preview

Nathan Jones recently celebrated his 24th birthday. By my count that means Melbourne enters the 2012 AFL season as he enters his prime. And if the Melbourne football clubs needs one thing (okay we need a hell of a lot more than one) it’s a few players at the right age and experience to make a big name for themselves.

Nathan's 2011 season was extremely promising and he would easily have been the most consistent performer (at a high level) all season. Jones seems to have relaxed more with the ball and is now becoming more successful at taking the opposition on. His decision making seems to be more thought out and he can be counted on to kick a goal.

With a new coach in 2012 who would seemingly suit Nathan's style of hard training and contested possession I can only hope that Jones is about to have a huge year. His NAB cup form was decent and we got to see him lead the Demons as captain over the Pies in round 2 after being in the leader ship group for just one year and one of only 2 to avoid losing that title.

This will be the year that Nathan Jones enters the A grade or remains a very decent serviceman of Melbourne. A first round pick who has yet to take a step back has me hoping that he might just be the biggest success story of the MFC’s 2012.

MFC: Jones determined to ride new wave

LEADER Nathan Jones has ridden a wave of emotions in 2012.

He’s been part of a tough year, which has produced just four wins to date, yet he’s had his best AFL season since debuting in 2006.

Despite his own personal feats, Jones simply wants to be part of a successful Melbourne side and will play in any role to achieve team success...

Jonesy killed it this year, can't wait to see what he has in store in 2013.

MFC: Jones determined to ride new wave
Jonesy killed it this year, can't wait to see what he has in store in 2013.
Frankly I'm terrified that Jones will be delisted at the end of next year for poor form.

Consider the following:
2011 - Brent Moloney (2012 stinks, winds up on the trade table or walking under free agency)
2010 - Brad Green (2011 stinks, 2012 stinks but gets better after he decides to retire)
2009 - Aaron Davey (2010-2012 stinks, might survive on the basis of one year left on the contract but no guarantees)
2008 - Cam Bruce (pisses off to Hawthorn and barely plays again after 2010)
2006-7 - James McDonald (shafted by the club 3 years later, winds up playing/coaching under Sheedy)
2005 - Travis Johnstone (traded to Brisbane 2 years later to spud it up a bit)

Anyone who's played well for us either turns to shite or buggers off and then turns to shite. I really hope it doesn't happen again but don't say I didn't warn you!

Frankly I'm terrified that Jones will be delisted at the end of next year for poor form.

Consider the following:
2011 - Brent Moloney (2012 stinks, winds up on the trade table or walking under free agency)
2010 - Brad Green (2011 stinks, 2012 stinks but gets better after he decides to retire)
2009 - Aaron Davey (2010-2012 stinks, might survive on the basis of one year left on the contract but no guarantees)
2008 - Cam Bruce (pisses off to Hawthorn and barely plays again after 2010)
2006-7 - James McDonald (shafted by the club 3 years later, winds up playing/coaching under Sheedy)
2005 - Travis Johnstone (traded to Brisbane 2 years later to spud it up a bit)

Anyone who's played well for us either turns to shite or buggers off and then turns to shite. I really hope it doesn't happen again but don't say I didn't warn you!

All of the players listed above were coming to the end of their careers. When they turned the corner Save Johnstone and Moloney. Johnstone never reached his potential and Moloney was overrated. Jones is 24, and he's been a hard worker his whole career, just entering his prime he won't go backwards as Neelds gameplan suits him as we've seen this year.

MFC: Pre-season update: Hogan to Dawes

2. Nathan Jones

After claiming the 2012 Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy, Nathan came back from the pre-season break with some foot soreness, which limited him early in the pre-season. However, since overcoming that, his attitude, leadership and performance on the training track has been outstanding. Nathan continues to be one of the strong leaders of the Melbourne Football Club.

Brian Royal

AFL: Melbourne midfield confidence grows

NATHAN Jones says the additions to Melbourne's midfield group could not have been more impressive in the period before Christmas but they can't be expected to "carry the brunt of the load" in 2013.

The Demons recruited Jimmy Toumpas with pick No.4, used pick No.27 to acquire father-son recruit Jack Viney and added the mature aged Matt Jones and youngster Dean Kent with later selections to bolster its midfield...

Jones' experience is starting to show.

MFC: Jones jumping as a leader
Leader Nathan Jones says he is relishing being a leader of the Demons, and is adamant he will do anything he can to help drive the standards of the playing group.

Jones and co-captain Jack Grimes were the only members of the 2012 leadership group to remain from 2011. And, having recently been named vice captain of the team for 2013, Jones remains hellbent on pushing the expectations set by the coaches and the incumbent leadership group.

“For me, I just want to continue to keep driving myself. I see leadership as another opportunity to make myself a better player. I really enjoy that aspect of it, and like my involvement in the group,” he told melbournefc.com.au.
Too much manlove.

MFC: Devastated Jones shellshocked after loss
"We were significantly off the pace tonight," a shattered Jones told AFL.com.au.

"We know that. It's clear. It's as clear as day that there are some areas we're not up to scratch in and we've got some work to do."

Jones looked more devastated than most players do after a Grand Final loss as he battled to find words to describe the game and the result.

"The whole game is a blur for me right now," Jones said.

He said that the players and coaching staff had resolved to stick together and dig in as it worked its way through the slump but they were under no illusions that it was going to be an easy process.

"It's going to be hard because you don't normally front up to two losses like that when there is a big expectation, but as a footy club we are going to continue to work hard and continue to put our heads down and our bums up," Jones said.

"Obviously the results aren't going our way but the only way to get through it is to keep strong."
I really don't have a great deal to add, other than :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back