2000/2100 class railcar retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2011
MacDonald Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, CDFC, MUFC, Redbacks
I know there's not many rail enthusiasts on BigFooty, but after over 35 years of sterling service in Adelaide, tomorrow the 2000/2100 class railcars (or Jumbos as they're nicknamed) will be having their last run in public service. Sat 15\8\15. Dep Gawler Central 1339, arr Adel 1439, dep Adel 1500 to Salisbury returns to Adel arr 1559. Then out to Dry Creek railcar depot and that will bring down the curtain for these great railcars.

iet-emu-6-638.jpg

Geez, I've always called them "Super Trains."

Were they ever called this or is this just something my old man nicknamed them for me?

We always caught the train and bus to the footy and I'd get so excited when I saw one of these big orange monsters coming down the track and so disappointed when it was a Red Hen...

I know there's not many rail enthusiasts on BigFooty, but after over 35 years of sterling service in Adelaide, tomorrow the 2000/2100 class railcars (or Jumbos as they're nicknamed) will be having their last run in public service. Sat 15\8\15. Dep Gawler Central 1339, arr Adel 1439, dep Adel 1500 to Salisbury returns to Adel arr 1559. Then out to Dry Creek railcar depot and that will bring down the curtain for these great railcars.
* * * how did I miss this
For the last two games it was the train before mine
Guess I'll have to catch them at the NRM or something :(

Geez, I've always called them "Super Trains."

Were they ever called this or is this just something my old man nicknamed them for me?

We always caught the train and bus to the footy and I'd get so excited when I saw one of these big orange monsters coming down the track and so disappointed when it was a Red Hen...
When they first entered service the then State Transport Authority (STA) called them 'STArtrain 2000' with a headboard on the front. Some enthusiasts called them Supertrains but given the drivers' cab, the unofficial nickname of 'Jumbos' stuck.

**** **** **** how did I miss this
For the last two games it was the train before mine
Guess I'll have to catch them at the NRM or something :(
You'll get another chance to ride one. I heard there's a possibility of a farewell tour involving a set, when I find out I'll post details on this thread.

When they first entered service the then State Transport Authority (STA) called them 'STArtrain 2000' with a headboard on the front. Some enthusiasts called them Supertrains but given the drivers' cab, the unofficial nickname of 'Jumbos' stuck.

Yeah, everywhere I searched, I came across the "Jumbo" reference.

But couldn't find "Supertrain" anywhere! For a minute there I thought I'd lost it and Dad was spinning me more of his usual bullshit. Thanks for clearing that up.

Oh, and, sorry, Dad...

I took this train in to town for the game last week. At some of the stations you could see people with their cameras setup, taking photos as it passed.
I had seen this thread the night before, so I was stoked to see that it was going to be the train I rode in on one last time. :thumbsu:

The railcar shells were actually built at Comeng in Granville, NSW, with the assembly at Dry Creek.

Stand corrected. My dad worked there for 25 plus years as a boilermaker/welder. I got to sit up in the drivers cabin of the 2000 class at a Family Xmas show loaded up on Leed Lemonade and Amscol icecream. I started my apprenticeship there working on the 3000 class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for the rest, cars 2006-2112 will be donated to the National Railway Museum (will be towed by a few 3000/3100 class railcars within the next 3-4 weeks), 2104 will be given to the MFS for training (joining 2009 which arrived there back in 2011) & 2109-2010 have been donated to the ARHS SA Division (Steamranger) BUT wheter they want the railcars is unknown at this stage.

Here are some updates about the 2000 class railcars.

24 cars already scrapped at Sims, all which were moved there by road.

4x 2000 class railcars have been preserved. 2112-2006 is in the Dry Creek depot and will be delivered by rail to the Museum and I heard that they will be towed by 3000/3100 cars.

2109 and 2010 have just been delivered to Steamranger and they were moved to Goowla by road. I am guessing they might see limited usage, but I am sure the 300/400 will be used more often due to fuel efficiency. 2112-2006-2010-2109 made up one of the last two 4 car sets last year and was retired in August.

2104, a fully intact trailer in the Adelaide Metro livery has already gone to the MFS. They now have 2009 and 2104.

Here are some updates about the 2000 class railcars.

24 cars already scrapped at Sims, all which were moved there by road.

4x 2000 class railcars have been preserved. 2112-2006 is in the Dry Creek depot and will be delivered by rail to the Museum and I heard that they will be towed by 3000/3100 cars.

2109 and 2010 have just been delivered to Steamranger and they were moved to Goowla by road. I am guessing they might see limited usage, but I am sure the 300/400 will be used more often due to fuel efficiency. 2112-2006-2010-2109 made up one of the last two 4 car sets last year and was retired in August.

2104, a fully intact trailer in the Adelaide Metro livery has already gone to the MFS. They now have 2009 and 2104.
I do expect Steamranger's 2000 set will see little use given their higher operating cost, when that set does come out to play it'll be interesting to see if they'll be assigned to the Cockle Train or Southern Hills Special (Victor-Mt Barker & return).

Great to see 2109-2010 together again at Goolwa depot, saw a few photos on Facebook with shunter 507 alongside & a Redhen railcar, almost like Adelaide yard in the early 80's

Still on cars 2109-2010, hopefully they'll be able to run along the entire Mt Barker-Victor line without swiping anything (signs, platform edges etc), one main test will be the curved platform at Pt Elliot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back