Opinion 2012 draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

8225686770_213c1b3a79.jpg
That's a pretty good Vinnie Jones impersonation the boy's doing there.

Found this on the drafts and trading board. Not sure about it's accuracy tho.

Anyone care to explain how the pre season draft and rookie draft order are determined?

PSD
1. GWS (Pass)
2. Essendon (or pick 8 in the rookie)
3. Adelaide (Joyce)
4. Sydney (Tippett)

Rookie

1. GWS
2. Gold Coast
3. Melbourne
4. Bulldogs
5. Port Adelaide
6. Brisbane
7. Richmond
8. Essendon (or that pick 2 in the PSD)
9. Carlton
10.North Melbourne
11. Fremantle
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood
14. Adelaide
15.Hawthorn
16. Sydney
17. GWS
18. Gold Coast
19. Bulldogs
20. Port Adelaide
21.Richmond
22. Essendon (Steinberg)
23. North Melbourne (Cam Richardson)
24. Fremantle
25. West Coast
26. Collingwood
27. Sydney
28. GWS (Pass)
29. Gold Coast (Pass)
30. Melbourne
31. Port Adelaide
32. Richmond
33. Collingwood
34. Sydney
35. GWS (Pass)
36. Gold Coast (Pass)
37. Richmond
38. Collingwood
39. Sydney
40. GWS (Pass)
41. Gold Coast (Pass)
42. Collingwood
43. Sydney
44. GWS (Pass)
45. Collingwood
Pies have delisted Yagmoor, so they might have a pick in the PSD or an extra pick in the rookie draft. You have to be Julius Sumner Miller or Dr Karl Kruszelnicki to understand the AFL rules.

We will rookie Tippett if available
Does a player who has previously been on one or two lists qualify as a delisted free agent?

If a mature aged player has been delisted previously and overlooked in the last national draft, then you should be able to rookie list them as delisted free agents to cut out the uncertainty. Shame the AFLPA doesn't try and do something about that instead of ranting about Winmar being cut to give Roberton another go. *crickets*

Id rather pick up Calum Bartlett who was just delisted by Brisbane to be picked up as a rookie. Anyone whos seen Calum play knows he is a absolute freak, has just had a bad run with injuries. I say we spoil the party and pick him up before the lions can rookie him. Bloke has serious pace off the mark.. Judd like

Id rather pick up Calum Bartlett who was just delisted by Brisbane to be picked up as a rookie. Anyone whos seen Calum play knows he is a absolute freak, has just had a bad run with injuries. I say we spoil the party and pick him up before the lions can rookie him. Bloke has serious pace off the mark.. Judd like

So we would end up with Lucas, Henderson AND Bartlett (who was going to be better than Lucas) for Fev ??? Sounds good to me ;)

as good as those highlights are, doesn't the brions have a pick before us?

So we would end up with Lucas, Henderson AND Bartlett (who was going to be better than Lucas) for Fev ??? Sounds good to me ;)
when you put it like that, how can anyone say no :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wants to stay at Brisbane they'd get him to only nominate for the rookie draft where most clubs have an agreement to allow clubs to select their own like what we did with O'Keeffe

If Wines and Menzel were available at pick 11, do you think SR would have still went with Menzel? SR rated him top 2 and I think we still would have went for Menzel. This place may have been crazy, but I for one am pretty excited we took Menzel. This kid looks the goods :thumbsu:

If Wines and Menzel were available at pick 11, do you think SR would have still went with Menzel? SR rated him top 2 and I think we still would have went for Menzel. This place may have been crazy, but I for one am pretty excited we took Menzel. This kid looks the goods :thumbsu:

We would have taken Wines, and then SR would have said we rated Wines top 2.

Bartlett is a Victorian boy from Geelong, so if we can get in his ear and tell him to come home it would be well worth it. The kid is a star!

He didnt play seniors this obviously because hes just coming back from 2 knee reconstructions

They could have selected Grundy.

Funny that we have the media suggesting that clubs don't like picking up ruck-men early any more and would sooner poach one after they've achieved full development.
If all clubs adopt that attitude, it isn't really going to work out very well, is it?

Thank you Harker, it never occurred to me at all that it might be possible for a club to draft a different player :p

As for the rucks, it's just another trend that will go around in cycles. Not a great year this year for nature agers or indigenous players but other years they dominate the draft. Some years it's all about speed, this year bigger bodied competitors. Rucks will have their day again soon enough.

Thank you Harker, it never occurred to me at all that it might be possible for a club to draft a different player :p

As for the rucks, it's just another trend that will go around in cycles. Not a great year this year for nature agers or indigenous players but other years they dominate the draft. Some years it's all about speed, this year bigger bodied competitors. Rucks will have their day again soon enough.

Much like how 2010 was all about mids and no-one wanted talls, meaning we were able to get the AA CHB and FB in Watson and Patty mac, and Mitchell and McInnes.

Drafting trends come and go. If Kreuzer comes along this year, Nic Nat makes AA again and Longer/Grundy/Vardy have a strong season then athletic ruckman might come back into favour next year and no-one will want inside mids as they are all stocked up on them already ............

The media just jump on a kid slipping as a "trend" and run with the story because the general public knows sweet fa, and headlines sell papers.

The way it's going Warnock will be worth a pick #2 in a couple of years time. :)
Yeah, nah. We missed the boat on that one. Collingwood were the obvious contender in need of a ruck and they instead are going with a 34yo in Ben Hudson. :oops: So it turns out Warnock is worth less than the pick 18 at which many thought Grundy was a bargain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back