2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Went and had a look at he Wahgunyah V DMB game on the weekend in what was a free flowing and high scoring game.Wahgunyah looked pretty good the coach will only get better after being out for so long and they could cause a few headaches when playing at home for the remainder of the season, what wasnt good was the umpireing its very hard for opposition sides when so called central or club umpires are calling all Wahgunyah players by name or nickname and any close calls go the home sides way, this didnt impact the result but was very obvious when the club umpire had control of the game

The umpire you mean was Paul Chapman, he's not a club umpire, he's an umpire at Albury/Wodonga. He just lives in the area and would know most of the boys.

Incredibly interesting season to date and over the next 4 rounds. Usually by Rnd 7 the 5 has taken shape, with only 2010 throwing up any changes after R7. (Kiewa 2 pts behind Tallangatta replaced them in the 5 at seasons end). With 11 wins usually getting you in, Thurgoona looks safe on 7 to date, Mitta have had a good start to the season, unlike 2009 & 10 when slow starts cost them a spot in the finals, have an easier draw so will definitely get 11. Kiewa also look safe with Tallangatta twice, Saints & Rutherglen providing 4 of the 6 wins needed. Chiltern is an interesting one, crucial 2 weeks coming up, playing Dederang & Wahgunyah, win those 2 and it's back to Sept for the Swans. Barny, DMB & Yack on 4 wins may fight out 5th with Barny favoured with a better draw and a little bit more depth. Yack & DMB depth being really tested with a few injuries at the moment, next 4 weeks crucial to their chances. Wahgunyah is the interesting one, obviously hit form and have enough talent, depth is a problem and probably need a better start than 3-4 to make finals but can see them shaping the five at some stage and no team will be comfortable going down to the den needing 4 points.

Should be a Thurgoona, Mitta, Kiewa, Chiltern, Barny finish to the season.....
Haven't yet watched Thurgoona or Barny this season but the Dogs seem to be tracking along very nicely.
Mitta just keep on as strong as ever. Not an overly tall side but plenty of good ball movers across the park. If Fraser does return as expected they will be there in the last couple of weeks of the finals.
Kiewa are doing well. Richo has a good mix of youth and experience and they will once again be there abouts come late August, early September. Injuries may cost them if they don't manage the older blokes well.
Chiltern from all reports tracking along well and may finish higher then 4th. Got a few to come back in the coming weeks and this will no doubt strengthen a strong list.

Starting to hear some very good reports from the Saints about the change of attitude and performance around the place. A credit to those up front and working behind the scenes.:thumbsu:

Should be a Thurgoona, Mitta, Kiewa, Chiltern, Barny finish to the season.....
Haven't yet watched Thurgoona or Barny this season but the Dogs seem to be tracking along very nicely.
Mitta just keep on as strong as ever. Not an overly tall side but plenty of good ball movers across the park. If Fraser does return as expected they will be there in the last couple of weeks of the finals.
Kiewa are doing well. Richo has a good mix of youth and experience and they will once again be there abouts come late August, early September. Injuries may cost them if they don't manage the older blokes well.
Chiltern from all reports tracking along well and may finish higher then 4th. Got a few to come back in the coming weeks and this will no doubt strengthen a strong list.

Starting to hear some very good reports from the Saints about the change of attitude and performance around the place. A credit to those up front and working behind the scenes.:thumbsu:

They're averaging 9 goals a game in the first 7 rounds and unlucky not to have a win on the board. I thinks it's fair to say they have made inroads and heading in the right direction.

They're averaging 9 goals a game in the first 7 rounds and unlucky not to have a win on the board. I thinks it's fair to say they have made inroads and heading in the right direction.

Yes i have also noticed that AD as i think the rest of the league has also, alot of the credit if not all should go to Terry and Woodsy.
Things have really changed around that club and my opinion is from only seeing how they went about things last saturday !!

As you said AD they are averaging 9 goals a game this season compared to maybe 3 the last few years.
From what i saw on the weekend they have certainly found something up at Full Forward... Not sure of a name Jench #7 (info ??). Would of kicked 5-6 of there 7 goals. which im sure is helping to the goals ave being up.

Hold on to there star Midfielder in bolt #6 (??) and the Saints are on the Improve. I am sure they will win a game by the seasons end !!!

Also what i saw on the weekend was Jye Shields kicking 9 !! Class.

Go Hawks...

Clubs can't be built on attracting players purely on playing for money, and sponsorship can only go so far when theres no one watching your games, drinking your beers or eating your food

Theres no doubt Beggs will get suspended, but to try and bad mouth a player by making up stories about King hitting when it was clearly face to face shows what kind of club you represent.

I'd be more concerned about why none of your players even remenstrated, and it was left to your runner to have words with Beggsy. I'm pretty sure all other teams would have at least grabbed him or tried to rough him up.

This site has officially hit new lows.

On a brighter note - well done to the boys representing the TDFL on the weekend. They deserve to be very proud of themselves. Everyone involved seemed to enjoy the concept and the planning that goes into these things.

Couldnt agree more Daicos, these blokes/kids taking pot shots from behind a computer screen. that is what's weak as piss.

Well done to Robbo and his team for beating the HumeFL, a quality match by all reports listening on 2AY and great coverage by them. think its great for country footy that they broadcast the match.

Some big matches this weekend.
KSC v Thurgoona - a cracker, Kiewa should get a few back after the bye and will take it right up to Thurgoona, out at Tangam KSC by 3 pts

DMB v Chiltern - Chiltern head up to Mt Beauty with plenty to play for, they beat DMB up there and they are a real finals chance, they dont then they fall back into the chasing pack. Chiltern by 19 points

Mitta v B'worth - Mitta should win easily, 45pts, whisper is the mountain men have a couple of mid season signings. Anyone want to confirm this and who they might be?

Rglen v Barny - Rutherglen to cause an upset at home. 4 goals

T'gatta v Wahgunyah - The lions keep marching on, look out top 5 the wahgunyah boys are starting to hit their straps. 12 goals

Yack v Wod Saints - Yack will beat the Saints, just, 5 goals.

I thought it was interesting to note that David Johnston has brought up that ol' chestnut of the GF being moved in town in talkback tuesday on the border mail site today. He mentioned that after watching the inter league game at Albury that it would be the perfect place for it.

I think either Albury sports ground or Birallee park would be perfect for the GF.

Come on i am waiting to here what the Chiltern coach got up to last weekend.
Looks like he just played good football again.

G/F in Albury or Wodonga. WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!

Come on i am waiting to here what the Chiltern coach got up to last weekend.
Looks like he just played good football again.

G/F in Albury or Wodonga. WHAT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!

He spent more time on the ground then on his feet y everytime he gets it he go's to ground very hard to watch !!

Mitta United vs Beechworth - Think the Mountainmen shouldn't have too much trouble beating the Bushrangers in this one.
Kiewa Sandy Creek vs Thurgoona - Chance here for a big percentage booster for the Hawks over the Bulldogs.
Dederang Mt Beauty vs Chiltern - The Bombers dropped an expected one last round with the Swans circling to put distance between them and a finals spot.
Rutherglen vs Barnawartha - The Cats look like they might get eaten alive by the Tigers here.
Tallangatta vs Wahgunyah - After last rounds big win the Lions can't afford to drop this one against the Grasshoppers.
Yackandandah vs Wodonga Saints - The Kangaroos should collect the points but not after some resistance from the young Saints.

Kiewa Sandy Creek vs Thurgoona - Chance here for a big percentage booster for the Hawks over the Bulldogs.

I also thought Thurgoona were missing alot of players out of yesterdays side in the paper, do you think they are just playing mind games or really do have alot out. No matter who wins today i still these two sides will meet again at the big dance

Any interest in this weeks games..?
For me the Barny v Kiewa match and the Wahgunyah v Chiltern are the only ones that have much riding on them.
Also has anyone got word on whats happening at Thurgoona? Heard a couple of senior players have walked out...any truth in this or are people just trying to start rumours because they are going so well...?

Kiewa and Swan's to get the job done i reckon.

Final 5 i think is sorted (only order to be determined). Thur, Chilt, Kiewa, Mitta, Barny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, a couple of good games this round and ones that could decide the outcome of the final five and we move into the second half of the season.

Barnawartha vs Kiewa Sandy Creek - The Tigers need the win to keep ahead of the chasing pack but fancy that the Hawks will get the points and keep interest in the ladder positions for a few more weeks.
Beechworth vs Rutherglen - The Bushrangers need to take this one to keep their slim finals hopes alive and can't see the Cats stopping them.
Wodonga Saints vs Dederang Mt Beauty - The Bombers are another team that needs to keep winning and will be looking for a percentage boost against teh Saints here.
Tallangatta vs Mitta United - The mountain men should be able to squash the grasshoppers here for a big win.
Thurgoona vs Yackandandah - Like the group around them the Kangaroos need to win and boost their percentage to remain in the finals hunt and should do so against the Bulldogs.
Wahgunyah vs Chiltern - A crucial game for both teams with the Lions looking to keep in touch with the top five. Think they can get over the Swans at home.

I had trouble understanding the article in todays Border Mail, did Beggs get 2, 4 or 6 weeks on the sidelines?

4 weeks out and 2 match suspended sentence meaning they will add 2 weeks to any future suspensions. Interesting message the tribunal are sending considering Beggs pleaded guilty under provocation....means players know they will only get 4 weeks for knocking someones teeth out if they say the other person provoked them :thumbsdown:

People will say it's footy and punches happen, but so does provocation it's part of footy as well and we don't want kids or players to think it's a good enough excuse.

Yes i have also noticed that AD as i think the rest of the league has also, alot of the credit if not all should go to Terry and Woodsy.
Things have really changed around that club and my opinion is from only seeing how they went about things last saturday !!

As you said AD they are averaging 9 goals a game this season compared to maybe 3 the last few years.
From what i saw on the weekend they have certainly found something up at Full Forward... Not sure of a name Jench #7 (info ??). Would of kicked 5-6 of there 7 goals. which im sure is helping to the goals ave being up.

Hold on to there star Midfielder in bolt #6 (??) and the Saints are on the Improve. I am sure they will win a game by the seasons end !!!

Also what i saw on the weekend was Jye Shields kicking 9 !! Class.

Go Hawks...

not sure how many of the saints games you boys have watched but i was there on Saturday and noticed a couple of things, there dress code has improved with trousers and dress shoes they looked good but there on feild performance was as bad as ever i agree that 7 is a handy player as is Holt, but they appeared to have no structure or defensive zones and the Dederang boys did as they pleased.They did kick 8 goals 4 a direct result of 50mtr penalaties The depth is a issue also with the reserves not kicking a goal the 3rds getting beaten and the under 14s not scoring and losing by 120 points. not trying to kick them when they are down but any improvement from previous years there was nothing that i could see other than the dress code where to from here for the Saints who knows

not sure how many of the saints games you boys have watched but i was there on Saturday and noticed a couple of things, there dress code has improved with trousers and dress shoes they looked good but there on feild performance was as bad as ever i agree that 7 is a handy player as is Holt, but they appeared to have no structure or defensive zones and the Dederang boys did as they pleased.They did kick 8 goals 4 a direct result of 50mtr penalaties The depth is a issue also with the reserves not kicking a goal the 3rds getting beaten and the under 14s not scoring and losing by 120 points. not trying to kick them when they are down but any improvement from previous years there was nothing that i could see other than the dress code where to from here for the Saints who knows

DJ dont worry about the Saints, they are quietly happy with their improvement on and off the feild, look out for an all out recruiting drive on the comps best players in the next few months and surrounding areas. They have the cash and will spend it. Biggest improvement for me is their coach is not screaming at opposition players and the umps all day so there is much more respect for them as a side. havent seen the kids but apparently they have pulled their heads in too, whether the riff raff has been kicked out or not im not sure. All praise for the Saints sticking at the task and to be honest i can see them becoming a real TDFL force in the next 5-10years. I would say they are past their worst times and on the up but it will take some time.

As for the footy, this week throws up a couple of crunch games.

Mitta v Wah - Wahgunyah's last hope is a win here to remain in the hunt, i think Mitta will have the side to put them out of contention, Mitta 29pts
Yack v Barny - are Barny doing enough to suggest they are worthy of a finals spot, yet to beat a top 5 side, Yack has 1 top 5 scalp in Mitta, and almost knocked off Thurgoona last week. Tipping an upset (if you can call it that) and at home I think Yack might breath some life into the finals make up. Yack 7pts
As for the rest of the games they should be straight forward.
Chiltern to dispose of Saints pretty comfortably at home
KSC the same with Beechworth
Thurgoona to beat DMB
Rutherglen over Tallangatta at home by a few goals

have got good word a current Hume league premiership coach is heading there with a number of his premiership players.

Chiltern vs Wdonga Saints - The Swans just got home last week but shouldn't have too many problems against the Saints here.
Dederang Mt Beauty vs Thurgoona - Can't see the Bombers upsetting the Bulldogs here as they struggle for a finals spot.
Mitta United vs Wahgunyah - A must win game for the Lions who faltered in the final stanza last week. Giving them another chance here to upset the Mountain Men.
Kiewa Sandy Creek vs Beechworth -The Hawks to consolidate their finals spot at the expense of the Bushrangers.
Rutherglen vs Tallangatta - The Cats pulled a big of a surprise last round and it looks like two-in-a-row against the Grasshoppers here.
Yackandandah vs Barnawartha - This is one of these eight-pointers with both teams going down in tight contests last round. Giving it to the Kangaroos over the Tigers.

As President of the Jindera Football Club, I would like to announce our Senior Coaching position Vacant for 2013. After an exhaustive process the decision has been made to continue the re-build of this season, (which tomorrow will feature our 10th and 11th senior debutant), with a fresh voice and new leadership. The Jindera Football Club will leave no stone unturned its quest to find the right man for the job. With short, medium and long term plans in place, our committee and sponsors are focused and driven to give our club the ability to "contend" every year. With current construction of new ground lighting the envy of some O&M clubs, plus a proposed ground upgrade over the summer, added to our current facilities, the Jindera Football Club invites all proven or aspiring coaches, playing and non playing to express their interest. Feel free to contact myself on 0421056274 ( jerim.hayes@diageo.com ) or Luke Styles 0412598827.​

Who would have thought at the start of the year Chiltern would be playing Thurgoona this weekend for top spot. with 4pts and 1.5% seperating the two it will be a very interesting game. not that the Round 11 clash has any real bearing on the comp as any one of the top 4 sides could easily be sitting on top come end of year.

Thurgoona v Chiltern - Thurgoona not playing their best footy atm so this could be a chance for the Swans to cash in. Swans by 1pt.
Barny v DMB - Barny to put light between themselves and DMB on the ladder with a close win at home, 13pts
Mitta v Rglen - Mitta at home easily.
T'gatta v KSC - Kiewa to account for the hoppers by 10 goals
Beech v Yack - Yack to remain in the hunt with a win away against the bushies. 27pts
Wahgunyah v Saints - Lions by plenty.

Any late signings to note for clubs?

Almost at the point where all teams have played each other. have we got any predictions for the following:

Top 5: Kiewa, Mitta, Chilt, Thur, Barny
Premier: Kiewa
League Medal: Castles (Yack)

Thurgoona could drop down a bit due to injuries and current form (depending on when players are back). Tough run home for Thur & Chilt as playing all of current top 5 in run home. Mitta, Kiewa & Barny have Chilt & Thur only of others in top 5. Wahgunyah to be the side that could cause some damage to the top 5 i think (Mitta only side not to play them).

Almost at the point where all teams have played each other. have we got any predictions for the following:

Top 5: Kiewa, Mitta, Chilt, Thur, Barny
Premier: Kiewa
League Medal: Castles (Yack)

Thurgoona could drop down a bit due to injuries and current form (depending on when players are back). Tough run home for Thur & Chilt as playing all of current top 5 in run home. Mitta, Kiewa & Barny have Chilt & Thur only of others in top 5. Wahgunyah to be the side that could cause some damage to the top 5 i think (Mitta only side not to play them).

I think you will find Mitta beat Wahgunyah on Saturday. Mitta and KSC do have an easier run home and you would think on current form wouldnt drop games against the bottom half of the comp. Chiltern play both of them at home so that will be an advantage, both sides hate playing there. Only game i can see Thurgoona dropping is saturday v Chiltern in the remaining half of the year. They will start building towards finals in the next month. Based on some guess work and going through the remianing draw and picking a winner because ive got nothing better to do, here is my top 5.

Ladder predictions:
1st Thurgoona 16 wins 2 losses 64 pts (assumed only 1 loss to Chilt on way home, maybe hopefull, but will still finish top as they get players back and leave their best footy to July/Aug)
2nd Chiltern 15 - 3 60pts (one loss to either Mitta or KSC at home, for this purpose i chose KSC, wont lose both, superior percentage to KSC not that it matters much)
3rd Kiewa 15 - 3 60pts (1 loss to Thurg away R18)
4th Mitta 14-4 56pts (2 away losses Thurgoona & Chiltern)
5th DMB 11-7 44pts (could knock barny out, DMB have Barny at home in R16, could be interesting. have a relatively good run home too but would need to be more consistent)
6th Barny 10-8 40pts (assuming losses in run home to Thurg (home), Wah (away, one of the toughest road trips in the comp), DMB (away), Chilt (home)), On the flip side if Barny win 3 of these will still finish 5th at best.
7th Yack 9-9 36pts
8th Wah 9-9 36pts

10 wins usually enough to play finals, but may take 11 this year.

DMB, Yack & Wah have a role to play, could make it interesting if one of those sides finds consistency and form.

Its anyones flag to be won at the moment. Comes down to injuries and if Thurg and Kiewa are at full strength in late July it will be them two playing off.

Barnawartha vs Dederang Mt Beauty - This is more than the hyperbol eight-pointer: it could spell the end of the Bombers finals chances with a loss and that's what I think the Tigers will do.
Beechworth vs Yackandandah - The Kangaroos should beat the Bushrangers to keep their slim finals hopes alive.
Mitta United vs Rutherglen - The Mountain men to take care of the Cats.
Tallangatta vs Kiewa Sandy Creek - The Hawks to feast on the Grasshoppers.
Thurgoona vs Chiltern - Match of the Round with top spot up for grabs. Have been impressed with the Swans all season and think they can get over the Bulldogs.
Wahyungah vs Wodinga Saints - Injuries to important players have hindered the Lions all season but they should be able to comfortably handle the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back