2012 SEQAFL Division 3 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck to the Buffs tomorrow.

Hopefully UQ tomorrow in DIvision 3 can show the hard work that I have seen them put in since last season. There are plenty of boys who have worked extremely hard. I regret that I am no longer able to hang out with them.

Looking forward to hearing the reports

Good to see the results from week one. Whilst many are disappointed with the way UQ handled their side last week, I think a few are over-stating how much it was 'stacked'. Having a look at the team sheet there was a lot of guys from Div 2 seniors and even reserves from last year, as well as a bunch of new blokes who the club obviously wanted to look at. The remainder were the upper div guys just looking at getting a bit more match fitness in before their first proper game. With 2 div's at the club the lower grades are often used to assist and feed the higher grades, regardless of what those in the lower grades have to say about it. I think a lot of the other club's in the comp have benefited from this policy over the years as frequently the Div 1 reserves side will pad-out its squad with talent whilst the div 2 seniors and reserves are left to scrape together players. Often blokes will be playing 2 games because its later in the season and players are locked in the upper div, or guys in the upper div mysteriously come down with an injury when they aren't picked in a div 1 side (which has either an easy win or at least a competitive game on saturday) and subsequently don't think they could manage to travel to Logan/Beenleigh/Nambour/whoever for a tough game in a more inexperienced side when a heavy loss appears likely.

Anyway, moving on to this week.
Moorooka - by all reports Calamvale aren't what they used to be a few years ago and surely the Chooks are hungry for another win. Should be close though.
Caboolture - any team that can match it with Nambour for that long looks the goods.
Nambour - will be still riding the high after last week's game, although Logan will probably be pretty pissed after last Saturday. Another close one.
Redcliffe - still not sold on Ipswich, maybe they'll prove me wrong?

Hope everyone has a good game and no serious injuries come out of this weekends footy. Look forward to hearing reports!

Good to see the results from week one. Whilst many are disappointed with the way UQ handled their side last week, I think a few are over-stating how much it was 'stacked'. Having a look at the team sheet there was a lot of guys from Div 2 seniors and even reserves from last year, as well as a bunch of new blokes who the club obviously wanted to look at. The remainder were the upper div guys just looking at getting a bit more match fitness in before their first proper game. With 2 div's at the club the lower grades are often used to assist and feed the higher grades, regardless of what those in the lower grades have to say about it. I think a lot of the other club's in the comp have benefited from this policy over the years as frequently the Div 1 reserves side will pad-out its squad with talent whilst the div 2 seniors and reserves are left to scrape together players. Often blokes will be playing 2 games because its later in the season and players are locked in the upper div, or guys in the upper div mysteriously come down with an injury when they aren't picked in a div 1 side (which has either an easy win or at least a competitive game on saturday) and subsequently don't think they could manage to travel to Logan/Beenleigh/Nambour/whoever for a tough game in a more inexperienced side when a heavy loss appears likely.

To me this says two things.

1. AFLQ should have a policy of not allowing any club from having two two divisions, excepting a genuine thirds (div 4) team, the left over players would filter down to other clubs making them stronger, so our comp doesnt have a club like Calamvale struglling for numbers.

2. UQ are s**t at managing their lists, and lose players because all the talk about giving new blokes a chance to play footy in the Div 3 side is crap. UQ chase wins, regardless of who they burn, which is fine but be honest about it. Thats why they start with 100 players and end up scraping at seasons end. You either have 4 sides or you dont have 4 sides.

By the way mate, every game in our comp is a proper game.

predictions,
Ipswich under 10
cabooture by 20
nambour by 50
moorooka by 20
beenleigh by 30

1. AFLQ should have a policy of not allowing any club from having two two divisions, excepting a genuine thirds (div 4) team, the left over players would filter down to other clubs making them stronger, so our comp doesnt have a club like Calamvale struglling for numbers.

2. UQ are s**t at managing their lists, and lose players because all the talk about giving new blokes a chance to play footy in the Div 3 side is crap. UQ chase wins, regardless of who they burn, which is fine but be honest about it. Thats why they start with 100 players and end up scraping at seasons end. You either have 4 sides or you dont have 4 sides.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I understand that every game is a proper game, I've been in the lower div playing myself for 3 years.. it's hard footy. I meant what I said in the context of a few upper div guys might have needed a bit more run in the legs before that div's first competition game, I wasn't saying that div 3 footy is anything less than proper.

I think what happened last week was some of the newer blokes were being given a chance to play and show what they can do - it's not often that blokes will come down from somewhere and slot into the higher div straight away, the same way new players at other clubs probably start in the reserves. In past years in the opening weeks we have had a number of new players form part of that lower div seniors side or even the reserve side to start out, it just looks like this year there might have been a few really good players playing and hence the stronger performance.

As for the list management, yea it probably could be done better but you are right, the upper div guys do chase the wins and this can hurt the lower div, it seems to every year. Do the lower div guys like it? Not really, but we stick together and have a crack. But I dont think limiting the club to having one set of teams is the answer - a lot of players are students and the club is very convenient for them and we are more than happy to have them.

predictions,
Ipswich under 10
cabooture by 20
nambour by 50
moorooka by 20
beenleigh by 30

Thanks but youreprobablywrong.

1) Though good in theory, limiting clubs to a max of 3 teams would not have the effect you're after. This year being an exception with a couple of older more experienced players coming to the club on the back of last year's Div 1 team doing so well, the large majority of new players to UQ are students who come down from the uni, in particular the colleges. A lot of these guys have not played much AFL before and therefore start at the bottom of the pile, but given two or three seasons development they begin pushing for spots in the higher division. If they were told "Sorry, but we don't have many positions available because AFLQ limits us to 3 teams. You're not good enough to get a game for us, but you can head to another club. Here are there details" these guys just wouldn't bother and they would be lost to the game. For them, travelling away from the uni is an issue and the whole point of them coming down is to meet and hang out with other uni kids. Unfortunately capping the number of teams UQ can have would just stop these guys from playing at all, and would not help other clubs increase their player numbers.

2) Similarly, the drop off in numbers that always occurs for us during a season is also mainly due to the number of uni kids at the club. The club definitely chases wins in the higher division, anyone who shows enough talent is given the opportunity to move up and play at a higher level, that's why last year's Div 1 teams were so strong and the lower division is always weaker as a result of constantly losing their better players. Players leave the club for a number of reasons, here's a few: with large numbers of uni kids from non-afl backgrounds coming down each year it's got to be expected that a handful of them won't take to the sport and will disappear; the movement of talent up to the higher division means that what was previously our Div 2 side is always weaker and suffers on field so although most of the boys enjoy being a part of it regardless there are always a small handful who get sick of losing every week and walk away; a lot of the college based players head home for the uni holidays and so our numbers are always well down for that month or so; and then there is the general drop off that all clubs experience due to lifestyle changes (interstate moves, job offers, family commitments, etc.). Just giving you a bit of insight into what makes our turnover so large, and when you consider that despite all this we still put 4 teams on the park at the end of the season I would disagree with you and say that our list management is actually pretty good.

3) No arguments there, as a Div 3 player I can safely say that we all certainly know every game is a proper game and if you re-read Westermou5's post I think you'll find that he was not saying anything contrary to that.

EDIT: And before you go off on the predictable rant about how the club shouldn't go chasing wins in Div 2 at the expense of the Div 3 side, keep in mind that the same philosophy exists at all clubs - every club strives to make their highest team as strong as possible and win as many games as they can. At all clubs, young and new players begin in the lower side (or sides) and work their way up as they develop. It would be hypocritical for you to attack us for doing the same thing. What we certainly hope is that as that natural development occurs the players who are being passed by the young kids filter back down into the lower teams and that the whole club gets stronger.

My apologies to both Nambour and Caboolture for doubting their ability to bounce back after last weeks epic encounter. I did not witness Cabooltures win but I saw Nambours demolition of Logan. My neutral observations are below:
1 - Logan still think you can win a game by going the knuckle, get up with the times Logan,
2 - Respect is an amazing tool - I listened to both pre match addresses and Logan were full of abuse and trying to belittle Nambour, whilst Nambour spoke of nothing except that Logan were worthy opponents and were to be respected as they were grand finalists last year - the result tells the story here,
3 - Number 13 for Logan is a quality player and will cause many opponents a headache this year,
4 - Nambour are better coached - I actually don't think the Logan bloke has any idea,
5 - Nambour without Spring, Possum, and a few others I witnessed on the side lines deserve to be flag favourites - not to mention the big ruckman that dominated the reserves,
6 - Logan had the dominant ruckman / ruckmen but could not win centre clearances,
7 - I asked the question: no spring no Nambour, I should have said no Spring no worries.

Enjoy the week off and see you soon.

My apologies to both Nambour and Caboolture for doubting their ability to bounce back after last weeks epic encounter. I did not witness Cabooltures win but I saw Nambours demolition of Logan. My neutral observations are below:
1 - Logan still think you can win a game by going the knuckle, get up with the times Logan,
2 - Respect is an amazing tool - I listened to both pre match addresses and Logan were full of abuse and trying to belittle Nambour, whilst Nambour spoke of nothing except that Logan were worthy opponents and were to be respected as they were grand finalists last year - the result tells the story here,
3 - Number 13 for Logan is a quality player and will cause many opponents a headache this year,
4 - Nambour are better coached - I actually don't think the Logan bloke has any idea,
5 - Nambour without Spring, Possum, and a few others I witnessed on the side lines deserve to be flag favourites - not to mention the big ruckman that dominated the reserves,
6 - Logan had the dominant ruckman / ruckmen but could not win centre clearances,
7 - I asked the question: no spring no Nambour, I should have said no Spring no worries.

Fair observation Neutral - I must agree with the coaching. If Logan had a game plan then it was not followed. I don't believe that they have one though - relying on a handful of good players who have no concept of Team Football. Nambour are the epitomy of a champion team will always beat a team of champions. I believe that a poor game plan, followed, is better than no game plan at all. Not to mention that any team that believes the "biff" is the way to win games is the same team that will not win flags....how many do Nambour have?

Anyone who thinks that playing football is an avenue to assault someone with no repercussions is someone I wouldn't want at my club.
These idiots seem to forget that many players have jobs to go to on Monday and also a family.

Anyone who thinks that playing football is an avenue to assault someone with no repercussions is someone I wouldn't want at my club.
These idiots seem to forget that many players have jobs to go to on Monday and also a family.

That is shocking to hear mate. What game can I ask?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what they are worth here are my tips:

Moorooka over Calamvale, no reason just 2 struggling sides,
Coomera over Caboolture, only because I believe Cab have too many injuries after the block buster against Nambour last week. Cab will be there abouts,
Logan over Nambour, for the same reason as above. No Spring no Nambour???? Just a question,
redcliffe over Ipswich, redcliffe are good,
Beenleigh over UQ, because div 1 are back. Logan should get last weeks points.

Enjoy - I am going to watch the GF replay.
the only difference was the weather

Well done to Nambour yesterday, played a great brand of football and will be extremely hard to beat for the premiership this year. Unfortunately for us guys we just couldn't get going. Hit the half forward line and the Blues just ran it out.

Might not mean anything to the other sides in the competition but we are currently decimated with injuries at the moment. Have 8 regular senior players out at this stage and many of those are key players. Should all be available after the easter break when we take on Redcliffe.

I dispute your comment regarding the Logan coach having no idea. He has a great footballing brain and knows the game inside out (didn't get the team to the GF for no reason last year). Playing stocks are just the killer for him at the moment.

If we can get all the injured players back then we will be a different side and right up there with the top 4 sides in the comp!

Well done to Nambour yesterday, played a great brand of football and will be extremely hard to beat for the premiership this year. Unfortunately for us guys we just couldn't get going. Hit the half forward line and the Blues just ran it out.

Might not mean anything to the other sides in the competition but we are currently decimated with injuries at the moment. Have 8 regular senior players out at this stage and many of those are key players. Should all be available after the easter break when we take on Redcliffe.

I dispute your comment regarding the Logan coach having no idea. He has a great footballing brain and knows the game inside out (didn't get the team to the GF for no reason last year). Playing stocks are just the killer for him at the moment.

If we can get all the injured players back then we will be a different side and right up there with the top 4 sides in the comp!

Holla7 mate, what you think of UQ's mascot, and guess who was inside? :D

I did hear your boys asking for money to deck me though! ***** :p

Holla - you are missing my point. I have never doubted Skiddy's football brain. What I am doubting is his ability to impart his knowledge to a group of individuals. This is called coaching. Many a great footballer with great football brains have failed in this area. My belief is that the reason you made the GF last year is because you had the better players - they weren't the better coached though.

Lets please not use playing stocks as an excuse. The turn over that Nambour has had would make lessed clubs fold, not to mention the 4 injuries from Caboolture last week. There were 4 players from last years reserves in our team and 3 under 18's.....that's coaching!

Any clubs getting up to much over the weekend off? By the sounds of it a few squads have been hit by the injury bug and the rest will do them good.

EDIT: Just realised the ressie's are playing the round 1 make-up on Wednesday night. People's thoughts? Tough to pick after just one game for those sides so far.

Holla - you are missing my point. I have never doubted Skiddy's football brain. What I am doubting is his ability to impart his knowledge to a group of individuals. This is called coaching. Many a great footballer with great football brains have failed in this area. My belief is that the reason you made the GF last year is because you had the better players - they weren't the better coached though.

Lets please not use playing stocks as an excuse. The turn over that Nambour has had would make lessed clubs fold, not to mention the 4 injuries from Caboolture last week. There were 4 players from last years reserves in our team and 3 under 18's.....that's coaching!

Did Zac Southern play STG? Good to hear Benny is coaching well...:D

Any clubs getting up to much over the weekend off? By the sounds of it a few squads have been hit by the injury bug and the rest will do them good.

EDIT: Just realised the ressie's are playing the round 1 make-up on Wednesday night. People's thoughts? Tough to pick after just one game for those sides so far.

My thoughts are, it's a bloody joke. I can barely walk let alone play a few days after a game at my age lol

Secondly, you cant tell me, that some teams wont stack their ressies sides with all guys being available or in Ipswichs situation, wont struggle to get 22 ressies to drive to Beenleigh, therefore playing any 22 they can which will most likely be a combo of senior and ressies which is hardly their fault.

coaching is teaching!!!!:D

My thoughts are, it's a bloody joke. I can barely walk let alone play a few days after a game at my age lol

Secondly, you cant tell me, that some teams wont stack their ressies sides with all guys being available or in Ipswichs situation, wont struggle to get 22 ressies to drive to Beenleigh, therefore playing any 22 they can which will most likely be a combo of senior and ressies which is hardly their fault.

Yea it's rubbish they are making all the teams back up. It's a joke they called it off so early in the first place, by the sounds of it most grounds were in reasonable nic. Surely giving each team 2 points is fair, although that probably wouldnt sit well with the home sides. You make a good point too Morro re: away teams picking 22 blokes who are willing to make the drive.

It'd be interesting to see if they compare the seniors side that played 2 weeks ago with the team sheets for wednesday night. I bet they won't but that would be a good way to keep on top of it, maybe putting a cap on 2 players being able to play in both because invariably some blokes do have to back up.

your right , there are at least two teams that will struggle for 22 and one that will stack because they did it to win their first senior game round one, another game being played at a latter date because of venue issues, total joke. And if points were given for the Nambour versus Caboolture ressies game, were there sanctioned umpires, and if so then their game never was cancelled and we have been told lies.

Yea it's rubbish they are making all the teams back up. It's a joke they called it off so early in the first place, by the sounds of it most grounds were in reasonable nic. Surely giving each team 2 points is fair, although that probably wouldnt sit well with the home sides. You make a good point too Morro re: away teams picking 22 blokes who are willing to make the drive.

It'd be interesting to see if they compare the seniors side that played 2 weeks ago with the team sheets for wednesday night. I bet they won't but that would be a good way to keep on top of it, maybe putting a cap on 2 players being able to play in both because invariably some blokes do have to back up.

Anyone who played seniors in that game should not be allowed to play ressies this Wenesday IMO. Seems harsh on the travelling teams but its the only way to ensure its not a complete rort.

your right , there are at least two teams that will struggle for 22 and one that will stack because they did it to win their first senior game round one, another game being played at a latter date because of venue issues, total joke. And if points were given for the Nambour versus Caboolture ressies game, were there sanctioned umpires, and if so then their game never was cancelled and we have been told lies.

Both seniors and Resserves Nambour vs Cabooluture games in round 1 were moved from Cabooluture to Bribie Island. They both had sanctioned umpires and all points will count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back