Mega Thread 2013 Official Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour on PRE that we might be into an SANFL player by the name of Nathan Gordon. Mid/HFF 188cm, 23 years old, was on the Swans list between 2010-2012. Thinking we might be looking to make a Michael Barlow out of him

Rumour on PRE that we might be into an SANFL player by the name of Nathan Gordon. Mid/HFF 188cm, 23 years old, was on the Swans list between 2010-2012. Thinking we might be looking to make a Michael Barlow out of him

Had a good start to the year, but he's really dropped off.

It seems our recruiters have a different philosophy for our first round pick than the rest of our picks. It is also clear that we nail our first round picks and while it's early days, we aren't reaping many rewards from anything past pick 15.

One idea: Maybe we should use our first round philosophy on all players. We seem to look past talent and focus on intangible qualities like leadership and motivation. I love this philosophy and expected it to work.

However, I consistently notice Francis Jackson talking about our later picks in a different light. He focuses on them having 'AFL traits' - now while I understand there is so much analysis going on above and beyond what we hear as a supporter, but on the surface I think that way of assessing talent primes you to focus on flashes of ability and pay less attention to the intangible qualities that make our first rounders so successful.

I could write an essay about the concept of talent. But I won't bore you. Guys like Foley and Grimes had flaws, like all players at that stage, but one thing they had that others didn't was not visible to the naked eye. They are people who get the absolute best out of themselves and are highly motivated, secure, team-orientated, leaders.

Western society by large has a skewed focus on internal ability, to our detriment. We also value work ethic, drive and consider the circumstances. But we have evolved to be more preoccupied with making internal attributions to other people. Notably, moneyball removed many different forms of bias, including internal attribution bias. Do we need to be more conscious of the downside in looking for flashes of talent, or "AFL traits", as FJ often talks about with our later picks? Should we treat all picks with the same heavy focus on intangible qualities that preoccupies us with our safe-bet first rounders (supposedly bypassing more talented types for a safe solid good hard player)? Or maybe we already are, and I'm just not noticing it for whatever reason. When it pays off, maybe that's when you get the occasional McBean (assuming he goes on to be a gun).

Early days yet, but the hardworking leader Astbury is well ahead of the talented non-leader Griffiths. Both will be given more time and we don't know which players will be good enough past pick 15 - but one thing is for sure IMO.

We need to improve our 2nd-4th round drafting.

Cevap_Roll. Update on Shane Nelson? What did he have to say when he stayed with you for the Grand Final?
He hasnt heard too much as YET. He did receive two letters at the beginning of the year from clubs stating they are showing some interest. Apart from that he's hoping clubs will come forward in the near future. All my discussions with him were prior to him winning the BnF and he is very level headed and quite modest. If it doesnt work out for him this season or the next then a move to the VFL is on his agenda. Open to playing at any club and loved it here in Melbourne.

Done my best to promote the tiges. Hope he is on their radar.:thumbsu:

Think he was a potential top 20 draft pick and after the combine testing some clubs had him in the top 10.

He came 2nd in the 20m sprint and 1st in the Kicking Efficiency 29/30.

Heaps pf pace and a superb user of the football. Sounds right up our alley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Around the draft combine he got tonsillitis and lost 7kg's he was already a light frame to begin with.

What the heck? I get tonsillitis and I never lost weight?! :mad:

It seems our recruiters have a different philosophy for our first round pick than the rest of our picks. It is also clear that we nail our first round picks and while it's early days, we aren't reaping many rewards from anything past pick 15.

One idea: Maybe we should use our first round philosophy on all players. We seem to look past talent and focus on intangible qualities like leadership and motivation. I love this philosophy and expected it to work.

However, I consistently notice Francis Jackson talking about our later picks in a different light. He focuses on them having 'AFL traits' - now while I understand there is so much analysis going on above and beyond what we hear as a supporter, but on the surface I think that way of assessing talent primes you to focus on flashes of ability and pay less attention to the intangible qualities that make our first rounders so successful.

I could write an essay about the concept of talent. But I won't bore you. Guys like Foley and Grimes had flaws, like all players at that stage, but one thing they had that others didn't was not visible to the naked eye. They are people who get the absolute best out of themselves and are highly motivated, secure, team-orientated, leaders.

Western society by large has a skewed focus on internal ability, to our detriment. We also value work ethic, drive and consider the circumstances. But we have evolved to be more preoccupied with making internal attributions to other people. Notably, moneyball removed many different forms of bias, including internal attribution bias. Do we need to be more conscious of the downside in looking for flashes of talent, or "AFL traits", as FJ often talks about with our later picks? Should we treat all picks with the same heavy focus on intangible qualities that preoccupies us with our safe-bet first rounders (supposedly bypassing more talented types for a safe solid good hard player)? Or maybe we already are, and I'm just not noticing it for whatever reason. When it pays off, maybe that's when you get the occasional McBean (assuming he goes on to be a gun).

Early days yet, but the hardworking leader Astbury is well ahead of the talented non-leader Griffiths. Both will be given more time and we don't know which players will be good enough past pick 15 - but one thing is for sure IMO.

We need to improve our 2nd-4th round drafting.

Go ahead and write it T_4_T. I'd be interested in reading it. Best time of the year for a piece like that. But only if your up for it. I'm sure it would give us all food for thought in terms of how difficult it can be to draft/select the new players from the draft :thumbsu:

What the heck? I get tonsillitis and I never lost weight?! :mad:

BUGGER !!! I reckon it has more to do with the discomfort of eating with that condition and high metabolic rate Equus...... rather than the T-itis as such. At a guess....

Go ahead and write it T_4_T. I'd be interested in reading it. Best time of the year for a piece like that. But only if your up for it. I'm sure it would give us all food for thought in terms of how difficult it can be to draft/select the new players from the draft :thumbsu:

Just as long as its properly referenced in the Harvard style and takes a strong position in its argument :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back