jackess

30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
We've nominated these guys from our academy

Brisbane Lions – Harris Andrews (Aspley Hornets/Wilston Grange), Darcy Cameron-Reeves (Redlands/Morningside), Liam Dawson (Aspley Hornets/Wilston Grange), Matthew Hammelmann (Redlands/Morningside), Daniel Henderson (Maroochydore), William Kristelly (Maroochydore), Cameron Stevenson (Aspley/ University of Queensland), Matthew Ubergang (Redlands/ Western Magpies).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-06/afl-names-academy-players

We've nominated these guys from our academy

Brisbane Lions – Harris Andrews (Aspley Hornets/Wilston Grange), Darcy Cameron-Reeves (Redlands/Morningside), Liam Dawson (Aspley Hornets/Wilston Grange), Matthew Hammelmann (Redlands/Morningside), Daniel Henderson (Maroochydore), William Kristelly (Maroochydore), Cameron Stevenson (Aspley/ University of Queensland), Matthew Ubergang (Redlands/ Western Magpies).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-06/afl-names-academy-players
So no Jackson. Rayner was also one that impressed me, assuming he is eligible.

I played a lot of junior footy with Matt Uebergang the one thing he has is a booming kick....I was disappointed as a mate, not seeing hum drafted last year for obvious reasons, and we were having a good chat a couple of weeks ago saying he hopes he is on the senior list but in my opinion it is looking likely he will end up on the rookie list and be upgraded the following year...He is someone who will play 200 games if he gets a chance
I didn't play footy with Matt at all, but we lived in the same street and went to school together for a couple of years. Used to kick the ball around with him after school, he was kicking the ball 50 metres from the age of 10 I reckon. Excited for him, hope the lions draft him. :(

I think a new 2014 Academy/Father Son thread is required. Any chance the Mods can create it with the existing posts moved to the new thread? It may make it a bit easier to follow and discuss with a bit of continuity.

Academy watch doesn't suffice?

Yeah that one is a sticky and has a more permanent flow. I beleive it's purpose is mainly for background info etc. Including potential future draftees.
However in this thread there already is and will be a lot of discussion on this year's Academy and F/S kids. It may be easier to generate one specifically with 2014 focus.

Yeah, now that we've got a range of names (along with Clayton and Roos) it'll give us a more concrete set of players to talk about, whereas the original can continue talking about Wright and... well, Wright.

Right.

Interesting to see Stevenson named where some others perhaps higher rated in some circles weren't. I have been surprised hiw he has been in and out of the Qld team. He always looked good when i've seen him play whether it be at u18 or neafl level. Very clean and a touch of class.

I'd be surprised if he gets taken in the Nd but would consider him as a rookie as there is something there to work with.

Of the list and without knowing an overly large amount about them apart from Hammelman and Dawson I can't see too many being taken out of that list apart from those two. I do remember way back that Leppa had said that they a big KPD to stand fullback and I think that Andrews could fill that position. In relation to the father sons I think Clayton is a possibility as he impressed when he came up during pre season. So that makes four and then with the addition of our first and possibly second pick in the ND. Not sure about rookie upgrades at the moment. Total in six new players is a lot but nothing that doesn't happen most seasons.

Rayner didn't show enough at the champs to get a look in. Spoke to him today. Dissapointed obviously but knows his champs was sub par.

Disappointed for him. Saw him against NT and thought he had a good game, but from what you say he fell away from there. It's a reminder that for every good news story around the draft hopefuls there are a dozen hard luck ones.

Yeah Rayner would have had to have a huge carnival to make It i think being 5 foot nothing. Even high production small guys seem to struggle to get drafted or get undervalued by AFL recruits.

Can always go the Zorko route.

*scratches head*

Anyone know anything about Henderson?
Has played 6 TAC matches for Qld this year including the win over the Falcons last weekend. Been among the best on three occasions. Small/Medium sized half back. Not sure about his personal stats but here are some photos I have of him from the match against NT earlier this year (he wears no. 4). On the far left in the first pic. Wasn't prominent in this match.
PZ0A0024_1.jpg PZ0A0132.jpg

Can't be bothered reading through all the pages and I didn't see it on this page so I'll just ask. Is Brisbane going to take Tyler Roos as a father-son pick in this draft? Before you ask, no, I'm not interested in getting him to Port Adelaide. I'm just curious as to whether the Lions are going to take him.