2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We can nominate them as a rookie which means we get to prelist them on to our rookie list if no one takes them in the ND/PSD... or we can just use our normal zone rookie picks, so I don't see any of the northern clubs using that clause very often on academy players.

Cheers dlanod.

What happens if we nominate a player as a rookie and another club bids a national draft pick for them? Do we still have the right to match?

Would still take Uebergang if he's available at a late pick. There's a good chance next year will be the final one for both Staker and Mcgaune, so with those two gone we'll have a shortage of "tall depth".

Could be wrong but I believe the rookie nominations happen after the ND.

Ah yeah. So Academy Rookie selections are just done at the same time as Zone Rookie selections (straight after the PSD)? Makes sense. Cheers.

Whilst we're not getting Pick 1 (thankfully), we are probably still on track for a Top 4 pick. I think best case scenario we're finishing 15th, which is were we are now. GWS have a few winnable games to come, Melbourne a due for a win. Whilst our recent results have been good, I think we're getting a Pick in the 2-4 range.

5-6 for mine :cool:

Cheers dlanod.

What happens if we nominate a player as a rookie and another club bids a national draft pick for them? Do we still have the right to match?
Could be wrong but I believe the rookie nominations happen after the ND.
Ah yeah. So Academy Rookie selections are just done at the same time as Zone Rookie selections (straight after the PSD)? Makes sense. Cheers.
Nope, all at the same time as the normal bidding. The rookie "bidding" isn't actually bidding as such. We just hand in a list of names and then, if they make it through the ND and PSD, we get to prelist them before the rookie draft.

Last edited:
From the rules:

(f) Club Academy Player Rookie Pre-Selection
(i) Subject to Rule 14.4(f)(ii), where a Club Academy Player has been nominated in accordance with Rule 14.4(d)(i) and is not selected at a National Draft or Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting, the Club with whom he is eligible as a Club Academy Player may include him on its Rookie List prior to the Rookie Draft Selection Meeting in accordance with Rule 10.5.

Top post. Hard to argue with that break down. I think one area that it does show though is a ruck/forward. We have west, and his age profile isnt too old. Outside of West we dont have any other genuine ruck/forwards, and this is where I think Wright might come in handy for us. He will provide that big target up forward and he can kick a goal. The unknown is the likes of Smith and Freeman and their ability here, although Smith is more a ruck option post Bergs and Freeman a forward who might be able to give a hand in the ruck.

If we end up with about pick 5 at best, I think we just have to go best available. We could certainly use another mid, a key forward as well as another defender. We've done very well over the years at developing some good defenders on the cheap, and I could easily see us going with Jackson at the least. I do worry about our defence in 2-3 years time. Some bits are in place with Cutler and maybe even McStay rebounding, Bewick, Rich, Hanley, Mayes Aish could also assist here along with maybe Dawson long term. Gardiner I think will be a Patfull clone, tall or small and great as 3rd man up, but that only leaves Clarke as a genuine defender. We do need a genuine key defender still and we need to get them developing. Few academy options and maybe even another Clarke type pick wouldnt surprise me.

Don''t forget Weardo...will be ready to roll after a big pre.season.

Spoke to Matthew Uebergang recently, he said that he had an interview with the club recently and they gave him the impression that it's either Hammelman or him, not the both of them, if Hammelman gets drafted by the lions than it's unlikely that they'll draft Matt.

They might have been only talking about the main list when telling him it's between him and the hammer. It's not completely out of the question we use a rookie spot on the other one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They might have been only talking about the main list when telling him it's between him and the hammer. It's not completely out of the question we use a rookie spot on the other one.
Would other clubs be able to select him before the lions can in the pre-season/rookie draft or whatever it is?

It seems fairly clear we put a high emphasis on drafting kids with good personalities in an effort to stop a repeat of the GH5. We also managed to draft some quality footballer as well. I hope whoever we draft continues this policy.

Never thought we'd top the 2008 draft in a hurry but geez, while there is a lot of water to go under the bridge, it looks like we absolutely smashed the 2013 draft on early impressions.

Talk about every post a winner.

Fantastic drafts for us over the past 2 years, it's already there to see.

We need to follow it up with another really good year this year though to really set us up with another high pick and some potentially high level academy players. If we don't have to use our 2nd pick on academy boys we could really be set for another big one as others have mentioned there is often some real gems in this range and we in particular have done really well with guys in this range.

I would like:

Peter Wright (simultaneously shores up key forward & ruck)
De goey/ Laverde / Wigg (some pace and ball use)
Hammellmann
Dawson
Andrews
Roos (shown enough to likely be worth a shot)
Clayton (as with Roos)

Rookie selection of Uebergang would be nice as I rate him but I concede we may be getting a bit KPP top heavy if we draft him to the senior list. If we rate him high enough though I think we go for it.

Fantastic drafts for us over the past 2 years, it's already there to see.

We need to follow it up with another really good year this year though to really set us up with another high pick and some potentially high level academy players. If we don't have to use our 2nd pick on academy boys we could really be set for another big one as others have mentioned there is often some real gems in this range and we in particular have done really well with guys in this range.

I would like:

Peter Wright (simultaneously shores up key forward & ruck)
De goey/ Laverde / Wigg (some pace and ball use)
Hammellmann
Dawson
Andrews
Roos (shown enough to likely be worth a shot)
Clayton (as with Roos)

Rookie selection of Uebergang would be nice as I rate him but I concede we may be getting a bit KPP top heavy if we draft him to the senior list. If we rate him high enough though I think we go for it.

I played a lot of junior footy with Matt Uebergang the one thing he has is a booming kick....I was disappointed as a mate, not seeing hum drafted last year for obvious reasons, and we were having a good chat a couple of weeks ago saying he hopes he is on the senior list but in my opinion it is looking likely he will end up on the rookie list and be upgraded the following year...He is someone who will play 200 games if he gets a chance

I'd really like to see Hammelman get a run at NEAFL with Redlands, Uebergang seems to be ahead of him in their pecking order though. Young Keays has just about secured himself a spot in their starting midfield. I haven't seen a 17 year old take to senior footy like that in a long time.

Would be interested on others thoughts on Peter Wright that have seen him play live.

The way I see it - 203cm, super kick, good mover for his size, not a great contested mark, average at ground level (to be expected for his size) and no general consensus on where he will play his best (suited) footy at AFL level. Change the name and it could be another Cannons boy from a couple of years ago - Liam McBean. As you can probably gather, not sold on him as a genuine top 5 draft pick.

Would be interested on others thoughts on Peter Wright that have seen him play live.

The way I see it - 203cm, super kick, good mover for his size, not a great contested mark, average at ground level (to be expected for his size) and no general consensus on where he will play his best (suited) footy at AFL level. Change the name and it could be another Cannons boy from a couple of years ago - Liam McBean. As you can probably gather, not sold on him as a genuine top 5 draft pick.

Personally I see Peter Wright as nothing like Liam McBean. McBean was a very skinny, yet athletic tall forward/second ruck option who showed glimpses of being a strong mark yet never dominated games to the extent that Wright has. Peter Wright has a good kick for goal (his technique is good and he kicks through it very well), his field kicking can be a little inconsistent as he lacks a bit of touch on his kicking. He is a very good mover and an above average athlete (not an elite athlete though) for a player at 203cm, and he moves well round the ground. His marking is very good and he is a strong contested marker, he has areas to work on such as using his frame better (but most young players do), but he still has the makings of being a good contested mark. He plays best when he is able to move round the ground and play higher up yet still float forward and present an option, hence why many think he would be best suited as a ruck. Yet his actual ruckwork is average at best and needs a lot of work put in as he is not a dominant tap ruckman. He might end up a full forward, but imo he would be best suited developing his ruck work and being a number one ruckman who spends 30-40% of his time up forward. He should go in the top 5 as he is a dominant player but he is not part of that top 2 imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back