List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph needs to watch more football.

We have numerous defenders coming through the ranks, including Litherland, Duryea, Stratton, Schoenmaker and Brand who all have between 5-10 years left in their careers. Granted they are not all KPP, but they'll transition into the backline over time.

Why would we throw the kitchen sink at Frawley when the midfield is where we are only a couple of seasons away from losing 1 or 2 of the best we've ever had? I don't really get it.

If we are to go down that path, my thought would be that we'll target a 23-24 yr old defender who's sitting behind a Darren Glass or Luke McPharlin who wants his time now, rather than later.

These articles by journo's second guessing what Hawthorn will or should do are always quite humorous in hindsight. Just look at the McEvoy, Gibson and Hale recruiting. You just know that at years end we'll announce another player from left field who has decided to join us, and they'll be left to scratch their head as to how or why it managed to get done without a fuss, but with huge gain.

Besides, when it comes to key defenders of the future in brown and gold, this fella below looks very likely to fill a spot.

HEATHERLEY%20Kurt.png

The trouble with free agents is they're too expensive, Franklin and Thomas for example, huge dollars for blokes who their best years are behind them. You say 20-22 is too young but Nat Fyfe (just an example) is only 22 and already an established star.

We will be looking at anyone from that age bracket from any club, not necessarily the expansion clubs, they will be the equivalent to someone like Jack Gunston, a couple of years in the system, wants to come home to Vic or not happy at current Vic club, will require the trade of draft pick/s and fringe players to snag.
Free Agents are actually cheaper in that you only give up cap space for them.

Can you imagine who we'd have to trade to Freo to land Fyfe for example - Gunston + Hill perhaps? Sure I'd much rather have Fyfe than Mundy but then I'd much rather keep the two Hawks I mentioned.
More realistically we'd be trading for a youngish fringe player at another club, but then don't we already have 3 or 4 young fringe mids who haven't been able to get a crack in the seniors? Ie. Langford, Anderson, Hallahan, Wanganeen, Woodward.

What I'd love to see us do is move heaven & earth to get a guy like Dangerfield to the club. Strike while the iron is hot and our window's still wide open.

Besides, when it comes to key defenders of the future in brown and gold, this fella below looks very likely to fill a spot.

HEATHERLEY%20Kurt.png

Thank God he's white because I'm already falling over myself to label this guy a "Gorilla" defender.

I'd rather we go with someone a little older given I'm not convinced our window will be open for many more years, especially not once GC & GWS are up and about which by the looks of things won't be too far away.

I get your point. I see us as being one of only a few clubs looking capable of matching it with these 2 when/ if they become the behemoths everyone says they will.

Good planning? Good luck with the timing? Bit of both perhaps.

No one has mentioned that Lachie Whitfield is/was a massive Hawk fan, and that his cousin Kelly is listed with us yet in the thread?

Come on guys, we are slipping! :)

I get your point. I see us as being one of only a few clubs looking capable of matching it with these 2 when/ if they become the behemoths everyone says they will.

Good planning? Good luck with the timing? Bit of both perhaps.
I think there will be a couple of years where everyone is barracking for a challenger to GWS and GC.

Hopefully they're a bit like port in the early 2000s where they'd dominate h&a but fall over in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PATRICK Dangerfield has reportedly ruled out extending his contract at Adelaide this season.

The star midfielder will be a restricted free agent at the end of the 2015 season and will be highly sought after by rival clubs.

But in an interview with Fairfax Media on the eve of the Crows’ season-opener in Geelong tonight, Dangerfield said his decision would be based on the potential for on-field success, not money.

“When I do it will be a decision based on success not on money, that’s for sure,” Dangerfield said.

Only a matter of time before speculation showed

Player payments haven't made and sense for a long time. It all depends on who comes out of contract and when. Timing is everything. To think a tomato like Tippett is one of the highest paid players in the AFL just makes my head spin.
There is such a huge cost in prying someone away from their club. Free agents possibly more so than anyone.

Give me more Gunston and lake style trades and everyone wins.

PATRICK Dangerfield has reportedly ruled out extending his contract at Adelaide this season.

The star midfielder will be a restricted free agent at the end of the 2015 season and will be highly sought after by rival clubs.

But in an interview with Fairfax Media on the eve of the Crows’ season-opener in Geelong tonight, Dangerfield said his decision would be based on the potential for on-field success, not money.

“When I do it will be a decision based on success not on money, that’s for sure,” Dangerfield said.

Only a matter of time before speculation showed
I keep posting that I would not be surprised if we trade for Dangers this year.

Nominates Hawks
pressure to deal before he walks as a FA following year
Crows very weak position compounded by draft sanctions from Tippett saga.
Can keep his salary cap impact in check minimising the impact on our TPP & list

I believe this is more our style, rather than flashing the big bucks at the FA meat market auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back