List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livinthedream

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
John Ralph has released an article in todays HS re free agency with the following caption in the first paragraph.
The part I am most intrigued about (as Frawley is a no brainer) is who some of the ready to go midfielders are that we may be able to target and was wondering people's thoughts on who may be some realistic targets for us to chase.

"GETTABLE

James Frawley (Melbourne)
The Hawks have told player managers they want a 20-22 year old ready-to-go midfielder, but you would be staggered if they hadn’t already gone hard at Frawley.
With Brian Lake and Josh Gibson getting older, Ben Stratton a mid-sizer and Ryan Schoenmakers not without his flaws, Frawley would make a seamless transition into the backline.
The Demons are increasingly feeling Frawley might stay, but the Hawks have cash and the inclination.
Why wouldn’t they push hard on a four-year deal worth $2.4 million for a player who could be the best defender in the game with a bit of love and nurturing?
Then get Lake to whisper some sweet nothings in his ear about how wildly successful his move was".

It will be interesting to see how this pans out but no doubt Wrighty's team will get their man again when the time comes.

Very exciting on the young mid fielder. I would assume this would have to be a trade as no player that age is eligible for free agency.
The most logical targets would be one of the raft of GWS youngsters. Dylan Shiel would be perfect.

Very exciting on the young mid fielder. I would assume this would have to be a trade as no player that age is eligible for free agency.
The most logical targets would be one of the raft of GWS youngsters. Dylan Shiel would be perfect.
GWS have a stack of players we could target. Wouldn't mind taking a look at Port's riches either....Or the GC . . . Strangely would pass on just about all of the demon young guns. We should put a big list of wants and then pick over it all season before the club pulls a surprise selection no one thought of :)

John Ralph, what a douche.
"Hawthorn has told player managers they want a ready-made midfielder, but I'd prefer to fuel speculation over the Frawley signing".

This morning, regarding Garlett he said that "I'd be staggered if a pick 38 didn't play in his first year". Been watching footy long, Ralphy?

Last edited:
Heard the Chief say on mmm friday night that if a player wont fit into the way we structure our pays and salary cap they won't be at our club.
Think this is the responsible way to go as there is no way i would pay 800k for Gibbs when Birchall is probably on about half that salary.
Team harmony is more important than the recruitment of 1 player. Would love the Hawks to have a crack at Swallow from Gold Coast but think that this is just a dream.

Hill langford litherland kelly anderson hallahan woodward brand garlett in that age group already at the club

Not many kpp anong them

Not too many KPP's amongst them???
O'Brien, Gunston, Brand, Shoenmakers, Grimley, Spangher, Willsmore, Heatherly to name a few.

I reckon that's enough when Frawley's name is mentioned in the same paragraph!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitfield, Treloar or maybe O'meara ;)
Whitfield and O'Meara both signed until the end of 2016.

Now here are some names that I'm interested in. They may be the future of their respective clubs but promise these guys are starting spot in 2015 and who knows.

* Josh Thomas (Collingwood)
* Jackson Thurlow (Geelong). Tassie boy to boot.

20-22 year old midfielder? Seems a bit young to come in and make a huge immediate impact unless its an O'meara type who we'd be forced to trade through the nose for, costing us valuable depth.

I'd rather we go with someone a little older given I'm not convinced our window will be open for many more years, especially not once GC & GWS are up and about which by the looks of things won't be too far away.

More the point grabbing a younger player forces us to trade away talent, with an older FA we are only spending cap space. Depth is massively underrated these days because it allows a side to rest best 22 players throughout the year and still win games, ensuring all the guns are fit for the finals. Plus of course the obvious, covering injuries.

20-22 year old midfielder? Seems a bit young to come in and make a huge immediate impact unless its an O'meara type who we'd be forced to trade through the nose for, costing us valuable depth.

I'd rather we go with someone a little older given I'm not convinced our window will be open for many more years, especially not once GC & GWS are up and about which by the looks of things won't be too far away.

More the point grabbing a younger player forces us to trade away talent, with an older FA we are only spending cap space. Depth is massively underrated these days because it allows a side to rest best 22 players throughout the year and still win games, ensuring all the guns are fit for the finals. Plus of course the obvious, covering injuries.

The trouble with free agents is they're too expensive, Franklin and Thomas for example, huge dollars for blokes who their best years are behind them. You say 20-22 is too young but Nat Fyfe (just an example) is only 22 and already an established star.

We will be looking at anyone from that age bracket from any club, not necessarily the expansion clubs, they will be the equivalent to someone like Jack Gunston, a couple of years in the system, wants to come home to Vic or not happy at current Vic club, will require the trade of draft pick/s and fringe players to snag.

The trouble with free agents is they're too expensive, Franklin and Thomas for example, huge dollars for blokes who their best years are behind them. You say 20-22 is too young but Nat Fyfe (just an example) is only 22 and already an established star.

We will be looking at anyone from that age bracket from any club, not necessarily the expansion clubs, they will be the equivalent to someone like Jack Gunston, a couple of years in the system, wants to come home to Vic or not happy at current Vic club, will require the trade of draft pick/s and fringe players to snag.
So true.

Buddy is probably going to earn triple what he did in 2008 for a lower output.

Just doesn't make sense.

i.e. a Gunston/Polec/Yeo/Caddy type situation.

But who is out there that fits this bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back