List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys. Is Lowden even that good?

Tom campbell was leading the Liston before playing the last 6 weeks or so in the afl. He's coming along nicely and will succeed wilbur in the next year or 2. I can't see us moving minson although I'd be happy to for a lake style deal.
Only have the one AFL game to go off - but he kicked 3 goals and easily held his own against Nic Nat and Cox so he goes allright.

Tom campbell was leading the Liston before playing the last 6 weeks or so in the afl. He's coming along nicely and will succeed wilbur in the next year or 2. I can't see us moving minson although I'd be happy to for a lake style deal.
I'm known to be the harshest critic of Lowden, but the last year and a bit has me coming round to him
He has found some real aggression in his play, and can do some pretty special things unexpectedly
Then does some God-awful things too

I'm known to be the harshest critic of Lowden, but the last year and a bit has me coming round to him
He has found some real aggression in his play, and can do some pretty special things unexpectedly
Then does some God-awful things too
What's the main knock on him? Decision making? Can he get around the park?

I know I'm going to get shot down here so I'm bracing myself of a barrage of abuse , but is dangerfield really good for us?
Personally I think he's a bit overrated . He dominates 1 out of every 4 or 5 games, he seems to carry a few injuries and for what he would cost to get him Financially and trade wise I think it could really hurt in the long run.
I think a 2 younger miss with a lot of upside would be a far better option!
Now I wait for the abuse!

I'm shooting you down...he carried Adelaide. At Hawthorn, he would have a number of players around him supporting him, he will be rotated in all areas of the ground. His career will be prolonged at Hawthorn. He's a hybrid mid, he's an explosive contested clearance player..... He's exactly what we need. Not sure id be willing the 900k to 1.1mill for him though...that's a lot of coin.

I'm shooting you down...he carried Adelaide. At Hawthorn, he would have a number of players around him supporting him, he will be rotated in all areas of the ground. His career will be prolonged at Hawthorn. He's a hybrid mid, he's an explosive contested clearance player..... He's exactly what we need. Not sure id be willing the 900k to 1.1mill for him though...that's a lot of coin.
Agreed... He is the reason Sloane had such a great season. He carried the team and was tagged heavily in every game and still performed well in quite a few. There aren't many players like him... hungry at the contest and bloody explosive with the ball. He can easily run down Lewis Jetta! Something our Cyril knows isn't easy to do.

Superstar of the game... and I really wish we have a go at him rather than Cotchin.

He's a cross between Dean Cox and Brent Renouf.

Agreed... He is the reason Sloane had such a great season. He carried the team and was tagged heavily in every game and still performed well in quite a few. There aren't many players like him... hungry at the contest and bloody explosive with the ball. He can easily run down Lewis Jetta! Something our Cyril knows isn't easy to do.

Superstar of the game... and I really wish we have a go at him rather than Cotchin.
So what do we recruit a player so Liam sheils has a good year?
Look dangerfield on his day is sight to be hold , but those days are to few and far between for my liking for a guy that will demand close to 1 mil and upset the payment structure of our team.
Would much rather two up and coming recruits (eg sheil, trelor, t . Mitchell etc) on our list that can take over from Mitch,hodge, burger.
Anyway just my opinion

Hey guys

Lowden has allegedly met with the dogs. What do you think is his trade value? Apologies if this has been raised before, and all the best for the weekend.

I'd hope for a swap of second rounds but I think a third round would do it.

He beat Litherland easily in the last GF sprint.

So what do we recruit a player so Liam sheils has a good year?

Of course you do? Its one of many reasons in the make up of recruiting a player.
Dangerfield for example.
Does he fill a need: Yes, Explosive clearance mid in the 24-26 age bracket
Does he have the ability to improve our side ? Yes.
a: Versatility: ability to play multiple positions.
b. Snowball affect: ability to allow other players getting off the chain. Mitchell Lewis Shiels etc.
c. Prolong the careers of players. Allow Hodge to play more backline. Allow Burgoyne more forward line...it pushes better players in other positions for longer periods. We have a better team in all positions of the ground.

Like you, what concerns me is the money......we built our side by players taking unders, it allowed us to form a more complete list. Our bottom 6 is now our strength. How will one player taking 1 mill out of our salary cap affect our ability to retain our list and or improve our list for the future.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned in this thread a hundred times but I will reiterate it.

Newbold: "we wont compromise our TPP strategy for the sake of one player"

If anyone wants to come to Hawthorn it won't be for money it will be for a chance at success. Brian Lake winning a flag and the NS medal is a perfect advertisement for our club. Take a pay cut, adhere to team structure and culture and you give yourself the ultimate chance at success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the main knock on him? Decision making? Can he get around the park?

Main knock is he is a bit unco' and can look inept at times. However, he is decnt tap ruckman and some threat in the forward line. More than anything else he is very quick for a ruck and he has the ability to get forward of the ball and link up. Gee, that sounds like someone we should keep. In reality - Hale, McEvoy and Ceglar are better players so is Minson.

I hope I'm worng but I can't see Danger coming to the Hawks. He will command at least 800k+ possibly 1mill and this doesn't fit in with the Hawks player payment strategy. Be nice if the AFL offered us an extra 1mill to attract talent to our club... But that obviously ain't happening.
The only chance is if he nominates the Hawks as his preferred destination but other clubs will offer the $ carrot in his face it will be very hard to resist.

I hope I'm worng but I can't see Danger coming to the Hawks. He will command at least 800k+ possibly 1mill and this doesn't fit in with the Hawks player payment strategy. Be nice if the AFL offered us an extra 1mill to attract talent to our club... But that obviously ain't happening.
The only chance is if he nominates the Hawks as his preferred destination but other clubs will offer the $ carrot in his face it will be very hard to resist.

The only way Dangerfield will get to the Hawks is if he single-mindedly and resolutely says he's going. And he's only going to the Hawks. Bit like Burger and Gunston. There's no way he'll be coming our way if it's a bidding war. And, I must say, that sort of thing 'aint our way of doing things.

The only way Dangerfield will get to the Hawks is if he single-mindedly and resolutely says he's going. And he's only going to the Hawks. Bit like Burger and Gunston. There's no way he'll be coming our way if it's a bidding war. And, I must say, that sort of thing 'aint our way of doing things.

It would be kind of nice if he did say it's the Hawks or bust.

No point bidding for him, let others claw and fight. I'd rather find the next gunston or draft the next hill than pay overs and royally eff up was has been sound strategy.

I think people are forgetting that Danger could barely sprint this year, he was banged up from as early as round 3-4 and was lucky to plod along. The guy is an out and out star!

Geelong have no chance of getting him if Frawley commits like it's being touted, we have more money in the kitty than anyone bar Brisbane so if we really really wanted Danger we could make a serious play.

Personally I see it like this - Do we go Danger and risk losing a kid and be somewhat over committed to 1 individual OR do we go and get a good developing kid and maybe recruit for need? What I mean by that is - Offer a little overs for Jaksch and O'Rourke and rely on the talent they have and the development we can provide them and perhaps knock off 2 positions of concern for the next decade?

I'll go the latter.

A believe that if we had a chance to bring someone in... like a Dangerfield... we bring him in!

Keep the team performing and not dropping off. Having kids come in and be a part of a winning culture helps give them determination and drive.

Dangerfield is in the top 10 players in the comp... would love him in our team.

If given the choice between Carlisle and Dangerfield, who would everyone pick? I would go with Carlisle.

I think Carlisle fits a greater need. In reality we need to address both but we're more short on key back numbers and barring injury Carlisle would be in our side week in, week out. As would Dangerfield for that matter, but our mid stocks won't be as bad next year adding Anderson and possibly more of Woodward/ Hartung.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back