List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of like Hardwicks idea to adopt some of the NFL rules on Free agents.

The top 4 can only grab a free agent if one of theirs has left under free agency. Sort of a swap-meet.

If we win the flag this year we could potentially see 2 or even 3 retirements (Sewell, Hale, Lake). If this were to happen it's unlikely we would be trading out any depth, but more likely continuing down the same path of trading picks for 20-24 yo players on the cusp of becoming elite

I did hear some murmur about GWS being on the lookout for mature big bodied mids...perhaps we could sort out Sewelly with a retirement gig like we did Willo, whilst still making out like bandits a la Gilham for Anderson????

A man can hope, can't he?
If we could land another Burgoyne type scenario out of moving Sewell on to greener paying pastures then so be it. As long as Sewell and Hawthorn are looked after then GWS or GCS can EAD.

looking at our list, there are a few who might move on at seasons end

Lake 32 - could be getting too old, not sure if he still has a contract, i would like to see him go on, but might retire after B2B :)
Sewell 30 - might retire, might be traded, might stay, future is unknown atm
Hale 30 - has been in bad form this year, will he hang up the boots a little prematurely, all depends on how much he wants to play(form)
Spangher 27 - used as a back-up, but injury prone, will the Hawks keep him as a back-up?
Cheney 25 - solid back-up player, unlikely to be delisted as he is a good squad player
Schoenmakers 23 - could be used as trade bait?
Grimley 23 - writing is on the wall, could be traded to another club as he has some talent
Hallahan 22 - hasn't shown enough at this point, might not be able to make it?
Kelly 21 - with the abundance of good hbf he is at the bottom of the totem-pole and isn't a young kid developing
O'Brien 20 - hasn't shown a heap, but will most likely be kept, but you never know HFC might make a tough call on him

Rookies - Wanganeen (likely gone)

most likely only 3, maybe 4 changes will be made (Grimley/Kelly and Garlett whom already left) and possibly a traded player or 1 of the above

looking at our list, there are a few who might move on at seasons end

Lake 32 - could be getting too old, not sure if he still has a contract, i would like to see him go on, but might retire after B2B :)
Sewell 30 - might retire, might be traded, might stay, future is unknown atm
Hale 30 - has been in bad form this year, will he hang up the boots a little prematurely, all depends on how much he wants to play(form)
Spangher 27 - used as a back-up, but injury prone, will the Hawks keep him as a back-up?
Cheney 25 - solid back-up player, unlikely to be delisted as he is a good squad player
Schoenmakers 23 - could be used as trade bait?
Grimley 23 - writing is on the wall, could be traded to another club as he has some talent
Hallahan 22 - hasn't shown enough at this point, might not be able to make it?
Kelly 21 - with the abundance of good hbf he is at the bottom of the totem-pole and isn't a young kid developing
O'Brien 20 - hasn't shown a heap, but will most likely be kept, but you never know HFC might make a tough call on him

Rookies - Wanganeen (likely gone)

most likely only 3, maybe 4 changes will be made (Grimley/Kelly and Garlett whom already left) and possibly a traded player or 1 of the above
I think Hale signed a one year extension earlier this year.

We need to make two more list changes minimum. I would try to keep everyone and just move Cheney and Grimley on. No doubt they have some trade targets in mind but whatever. I'm in the Jordan Kelly will make it camp by the way, but who knows.

Only way Cheney moves on is if we grab probably both of Jaksch and Frawley. Despite Cheney not being an actual key position size, right now we're one injury from needing him to be. Would have been nice to see Grim continue down his early CHB route, sad to see his papers stamped when Lowden got so much more time whilst showing less.

Litherland finally makes the side and then leaves? If he was still fringe maybe. The Hawks have been patient, so has Litherland. I think and hope he will sign for a couple. Would definitely want WC's first rounder. Unlike a noob he would walk straight into their side.

Only way Cheney moves on is if we grab probably both of Jaksch and Frawley. Despite Cheney not being an actual key position size, right now we're one injury from needing him to be. Would have been nice to see Grim continue down his early CHB route, sad to see his papers stamped when Lowden got so much more time whilst showing less.

Lowden is younger than Grimmers.

unless our 3 list changes aren't made up of gartlett + 2 retirements, i wouldn't be looking at delisting any of the youngsters (<24yrs) on the list. having said that i have no grasp whatsoever of the available talent in the upcoming draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unless our 3 list changes aren't made up of gartlett + 2 retirements, i wouldn't be looking at delisting any of the youngsters (<24yrs) on the list. having said that i have no grasp whatsoever of the available talent in the upcoming draft.

Would be my preferred situation too.

And does someone know if adding a player to the veterans list count as a 'delisting'.
I was just doing some research and internet couldn't answer my question...(that was a first)

Would be my preferred situation too.

And does someone know if adding a player to the veterans list count as a 'delisting'.
I was just doing some research and internet couldn't answer my question...(that was a first)
You can have two veterans on the main list increasing main list size from 38 to 40. It takes away two rookie spots. We have three, Hodge, Sewell and Mitchell. Say if Sewell retires, Hodge and Mitchell would be the two veterans taking the extra main list spots and a list spot will open inside the non-veteran 38.

I'd love to keep Cheney as a depth player, but reckon he's wasting his career at Hawthorn and would seek a trade if i were him.

I say we look to recruit Malceski, just so he can't kick any tin-a$$ goals against us anymore.

Pretty sure he'll be joining his old coach at Melbourne next year, if he leaves Sydney.

We chased Lake for many years, and we eventually got him for pick 24.....now we're in a rush to retire him?? That makes no sense.

Yes he has had a few injuries, but that's not unique to Brian. Hodgey was shot to pieces in 2011/12 and now look at him. Give him one more year, I would feel good having him in the side for the 2015 GF

Who's we pale face?

As you say, would be stupid to move him on now when we would be paying stuff all for his services.

Hey Guys,

Just want to let you know if you dont already I was having a chat to my boss today and he told me you guys have been chatting with Jack Lonie as a potential pick up. My boss is a family member of Jacks and says that you guys, richmond and GWS are all interested.

Not having Lonie back.

Soft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back