2014 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

ooh Veruca Salt (the original lineup) are touring in September :D

Hard to believe that Post and Gordon could work together after the soap opera of 1998. Perhaps time does heal all wounds, even multiple stab wounds. :)

Two albums due for release this month that I'm looking forward to are GHOST OF DOWNLOAD which is supposedly the final album from new Wave legends Blondie, and HEARTSTRINGS from Howling Bells. I've heard their first track Slowburn and enjoyed it alot, Juanita has one of the better voices around at the moment.

Last edited:
Spent the last 6 weeks in the US and listened to a fair bit of radio. The band Fitz and the Tantrums are pretty big over there at the moment. Don't think they have made it down here which surprises me because they have commercial radio written all over them.

Just bought Tune Yards' new album. It's a pretty bizarre pop album but if you can get on its wavelength, it's pretty damn enjoyable.

A really good Australian album, Iceberg Nerves by Lowlakes, I'd also encourage people to give a listen to. Apparently they're experiencing great popularity in Germany/Netherlands and other countries in that area but just haven't taken off in Australia at all yet.

Not sure if many people would have heard about him, but Kiwi producer Cheshire (now based in Melbourne so let's claim him) recently released a new album called "Simply Lifted." He makes some of the funkiest, glitchiest beats I've ever heard. I guarantee this would be a new sound for a lot of people here so I'd be interested to hear what people think of it. This is a 3 min preview of one of the tracks on the album:

I'm not sure. It'll probably come as a surprise.

Not sure on Built To Spill either; I haven't ever properly listened to them.

Listening to the new Horrors right now and I'm not too convinced. I thought Skying had some nice ideas but wasn't as interesting or intense as Primary Colours, which is the only LP of their's I love.

Sound like they are going through the motions at the moment and they've deteriorated aesthetically, that's for sure.
Oh yeah I really agree with this. There was such a step up from album one and two and they found who they were. Now they've become happy with that template and play with it without actually being adventurous. Disappointing because they can create a nice soundscape and write some great songs but yeah, a band who'll no doubt churn out two or three more albums and slowly lose relevance.

The Horrors 2006 EP was exciting for a young me. Now it seems like they are going through the motions, but I still give all their releases a listen to see their sound because they are genuinely good guys.

This is brilliant, very Pink Floyd.

Thought after hearing the single Fever the album would be garbage, but this is brilliant so far.

Really? Damn, I was gonna boycott this one, but it looks like I'm gonna have to get back on board.

Here's to hoping they release a version of the album without Fever... That s**t is whack.

Also, this:

Lanie Lane was itching to tell us about her new album when we spoke to her ahead of her Gorgeous Festival visit back in November. Recorded in Scott Horscroft’s country house in New South Wales, Lanie said the music is “a lot looser, and a bit more ‘70s.”

“It’s a bit trippy, but then there’s epic, emotive songs that are more like… oh, they just get you in the heart. Then there are ones that are really sexy, and some that have old elements, bridging the new songs with the old songs," she said to Rip It Up. Lanie plans on “touring the s**t out of” the album once it’s complete.
http://www.ripitup.com.au/music/article/most-anticipated-albums-of-2014

I'm so keen it's not cool, Lanie Lane is the bomb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent the last 6 weeks in the US and listened to a fair bit of radio. The band Fitz and the Tantrums are pretty big over there at the moment. Don't think they have made it down here which surprises me because they have commercial radio written all over them.

Out of my League is a ripper track.

Awesome to hear, where have you heard the whole thing at? I've seen a few reviews that really rate it, and like what I've heard so far but haven't heard the whole thing yet.
it leaked. at first i wasn't fully sold but a couple of listens later and i'm in love with it, don't expect much similar to First Temple. my favourites that don't include the two songs they publicly released would be Pink Lemonade, That Brahmatron Song and Mauerbauertraurigkeit. Beckon Fire's a bit different but it's beautiful

Yeah Fever is woeful, easily the worst song on the album.

I'm not a fan of Gotta Get Away, either, personally - I'd call that the worst song on the album. Can't get enough of In Our Prime, though. 10 Lovers is a groovy track as well.

it leaked. at first i wasn't fully sold but a couple of listens later and i'm in love with it, don't expect much similar to First Temple. my favourites that don't include the two songs they publicly released would be Pink Lemonade, That Brahmatron Song and Mauerbauertraurigkeit. Beckon Fire's a bit different but it's beautiful
Given it plenty of spins over the past few days and I am a big fan. Definitely a big change in sound from First Temple, but I'm loving it nonetheless.

In older Anathema news too, they're touring Australia for the first time in August.

Have seen a lot of people say they have to be seen live. Their last live album/bluray was excellent, one of the best live videos I seen.

Agree with the comments on Fitz and the Tantrums - love thier sound

Anyone listened to the new Coldplay album? I know it is change from thier previous work but all I can think of is - B sides. It sounds like an album of B side songs, and only really a stop gap for a bigger album next time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back