2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy is no spud, I am just saying mature age recruitment is best used to fill a hole where you need a vacancy filled, e.g. for us a Lonergan replacement, rather than a player who adds depth to an area you are already strong in.

The guy is no spud, I am just saying mature age recruitment is best used to fill a hole where you need a vacancy filled, e.g. for us a Lonergan replacement, rather than a player who adds depth to an area you are already strong in.
Pretty sure the majority agree with you P_O.

Pure ,my intention was/is.... IF we lost a mature player thru what ever reason .ie injury , retirement etc. Gees I mention his name and its generated a reaction.

The season is long who knows what happens by the end of the year.In general , what I would say that compared to trading and paying an expensive top price , getting the right mature FA player is efficient in theory.He would be plug and play, the player I compared him to is Stokes, not style wize but because he is mature and you can book in a certain level of play. The group we have on list that could come in and replace a Bartel for eg or Kelly or a Selwood are either young or inexperienced , and so to keep a balance of age Id consider a player "like" Rosa. A Rosa is not depth , not the way I think of depth. He would be best 22, he converts other lesser players to depth.

Down back if we really had a Lonergan retirement , id say we would move heaven and earth to then go after someone like Frawley , FA player and go to the draft and try to find another Kolodjashnij. But unless you know something I don't , I can see Lonergan playing for a while yet
Cant argue with you about Frawley. But I still think and I will keep banging on about this I believe that Josh Walker could be a great key defender. He is not a forward in my opinion. He has great size, great athleticism and good speed and he is strong. All the attributes needed to play a defensive role on key forwards. He reminds me of Lonergan a bit. Lonergan remember was a key forward, he kicked a bag in a VFL grand final and started at full forward in an AFL grand final (08) before moving to defence where he has excelled. I just reckon that is where I see Walker long term. Unfortunately I have never really seen him play there much so obviously the match committee don't see what I do. They may be a little more on top of things than I. But I will still stand by my beliefs that Walker should be a defender. If anything so we don't have to endure him having set shots at goal anymore.

There have certainly been player like Walker in the past become very good defenders , I just wonder if those days are done. "Hiding" a player down back sort of conflicts with the highly pressure defensive zone that a full ground press creates. Lonergan was always a better kick than Walker so perhaps why we have never seen him be given a go down there.I do agree there is lot of what he naturally does would be good as a backman pack marks , crash packs etc.
But you right , If Longergan suddenly did depart that would be chance he would be given a go

Yeah...they'd want more that. Not worth what I think they would want but id guess a R1 P16/P18 ish plus a player that cant secure a regular senior spot that we probably will go close to delisting , will be short of the Bombers demands. Two picks in the top 30 with one in the top 10 is what Id guess.

For a 21.5 year old with 5 games to his name?

(edit. I know he won the Liston last year, surely he should be getting games now on the back of his 2013?)

That said, Rosa did pull down a very handy mark this afternoon I saw.

Did he ever, what a mark of courage as well. ....I liked Nick O'Brien pre-draft, he's a big unit and could develop well under our coaching staff.
But no doubt Rosa's endeavour, must check his stats.
Pretty good, 5th best for WCE, 21, not great but good enough, you wouldn't get him cheap I think.

No prob, the discussion centered on JakeC being unhappy , bombers perhaps being willing to trade him to get back some early draft presence.
As I said Schroder , would be luck to get an R3 pick imo
Schroder could have been given a run today I'd have thought.

But I'm resigning myself to waving goodbye to him at year's end.

He and about 4 others have had a fair while. Unless he gets a chance and does some outstanding work...I agree , he may well be in the broom cupboard by Sept
He is one guy who I do feel for a bit.

Doesn't seem to do much wrong. Does what is asked of him but can't get any gametime in the 1s to show whether he can or can't make it.

As I said, wrong place, wrong time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is one guy who I do feel for a bit.

Doesn't seem to do much wrong. Does what is asked of him but can't get any gametime in the 1s to show whether he can or can't make it.

As I said, wrong place, wrong time.

Yes and no. A hard way to look at it is if he was a little better or if had something more to offer he would get picked. Very Prismall like

He and about 4 others have had a fair while. Unless he gets a chance and does some outstanding work...I agree , he may well be in the broom cupboard by Sept

Who else do you think will be moved on?
Brown looks likely too.

Yes and no. A hard way to look at it is if he was a little better or if had something more to offer he would get picked. Very Prismall like
No, I think that is a pretty fair way to look at him.

No doubt he appears (perhaps is) very one dimensional but I keep thinking that Horlin-Smith was tarred with a similar brush (still is in some quarters).

But Horlin-Smith has shown an ability to find space and fill it without the need to be quick.

Be inetersting to see how many people thought he would be kicking goals for us this year.

Schroder already has that ability. He's got a happy knack of popping up and kicking a goal.

But he is more soild than flash and he doesn't generate big numbers (which he probably should be doing more of in his 4th year).

I hope he can get some games this year, maybe 4 or 5 in a row, that would provide a bigger sample and also give him some continuity.

I'm sure he finished higher than Guthrie in Calder's B+F...he can play.

EDIT: Nope, I'm full of s**t. Guthrie won the B+F in 2010...so much for that argument.

Last edited:
No, I think that is a pretty fair way to look at him.

No doubt he appears (perhaps is) very one dimensional but I keep thinking that Horlin-Smith was tarred with a similar brush (still is in some quarters).

But Horlin-Smith has shown an ability to find space and fill it without the need to be quick.

Be inetersting to see how many people thought he would be kicking goals for us this year.

Schroder already has that ability. He's got a happy knack of popping up and kicking a goal.

But he is more soild than flash and he doesn't generate big numbers (which he probably should be doing more of in his 4th year).

I hope he can get some games this year, maybe 4 or 5 in a row, that would provide a bigger sample and also give him some continuity.

I'm sure he finished higher than Guthrie in Calder's B+F...he can play.

The annoying hungry ferret KB said something that other day I agree with. The MC dont pick you , the just post the team. You pick you.
I look at players come in every year , some look good early some you think will be good give them time. But no matter what all players are on the clock , no one really knows when it will stop ticking but it will. Sooner or later you must step up or step off.
And every year a player takes , another group of young guys come in and not all of them will take the same amount of time . Prismall got shown that when we drafted Selwood , instantly another one in front him.
For Schroder , he watched us draft Lang and Jansen. And right now he is in front of them., but the distance is closing. Both offer something that he doesn't. After watching Lang the other day , he is will be in our side within 12 months. Jansen could play as a sub this year but will be a while as well. In other words.. for Schroder its D Day. Its this year or probably never. And if he cant get a game when Christensen is out........

Who else do you think will be moved on?
Brown looks likely too.

Much will depend on retirements. I don't think Geelong believes in clean out for the sake of it. They tend to give what most would deem fair time plus a bit more Schroder, Brown, Stringer , Hunt ...will all be looked at . Retirements will affect it as well.

The annoying hungry ferret KB said something that other day I agree with. The MC dont pick you , the just post the team. You pick you.
I look at players come in every year , some look good early some you think will be good give them time. But no matter what all players are on the clock , no one really knows when it will stop ticking but it will. Sooner or later you must step up or step off.
And every year a player takes , another group of young guys come in and not all of them will take the same amount of time . Prismall got shown that when we drafted Selwood , instantly another one in front him.
For Schroder , he watched us draft Lang and Jansen. And right now he is in front of them., but the distance is closing. Both offer something that he doesn't. After watching Lang the other day , he is will be in our side within 12 months. Jansen could play as a sub this year but will be a while as well. In other words.. for Schroder its D Day. Its this year or probably never. And if he cant get a game when Christensen is out........
All very fair points.

I am glad people are seeing Lang in a different light now he is getting games under his belt.

I only saw him twice last year (and one of those was the broken leg game) but he had 'something'. He wasn't super flash or anything but it was the way he ran to and from contests (and kept getting to the contest) and kept getting his hands on the ball.

And he can play both inside and out. That's a pretty valuable commodity.

I still believe 16 was a reach for him (but that's based on very limited viewing) but we're probably already beginning to see that he wouldn't have gotten to us in the 30s.

All very fair points.

I am glad people are seeing Lang in a different light now he is getting games under his belt.

I only saw him twice last year (and one of those was the broken leg game) but he had 'something'. He wasn't super flash or anything but it was the way he ran to and from contests (and kept getting to the contest) and kept getting his hands on the ball.

And he can play both inside and out. That's a pretty valuable commodity.

I still believe 16 was a reach for him (but that's based on very limited viewing) but we're probably already beginning to see that he wouldn't have gotten to us in the 30s.

Its all easy when we make up the phantoms ( we actually I don't I have found before I don't have enough knowledge to do much more than repeat other peoples opinions) to place this player just before another etc this player is worth 25 not 18 or what ever doesn't take into account what you have noted, a club has what they have , spend a 16 on him now or gamble he will be there at 33. Buy now , and it a bird in the hand , gamble it could be a technical win or a draft regret for 10 years.

Ideally (for example) Wells thought Lang was worth 16-25 , and Jansen was 25-35 , we paid full price on on, got a discount on one ( And Im not sure what he rated JK as but we got a huge RedLight special with him)... and in 5 years time it will it matter if he was probably more a 25 than a 16? If he becomes a gun player , playing full price is not the worst thing he could do.

R NoNameGamesAgeDate of BirthHeightWeightOriginPosition
3 16Simpson, Dawson1625yr 2mth17 Feb 1989206cm109kgMurray BushrangersRuck
7 17McIntosh, Hamish11329yr 7mth4 Sep 1984203cm103kgMurray BushrangersRuck
9 46Blicavs, Mark2823yr 1mth28 Mar 1991198cm95kgGeelong VflRuck
15 41Toohey, James020yr 1mth27 Mar 1994198cm95kgOakleigh ChargersDefender
6 30Vardy, Nathan2122yr 10mth25 Jun 1991198cm101kgGippsland PowerForward/Ruck
1 26Hawkins, Tom12925yr 9mth21 Jul 1988197cm105kgMelbourne GrammarForward
5 13Lonergan, Tom12829yr 11mth17 May 1984197cm93kgCalder CannonsDefender
10 34Walker, Joshua1121yr 5mth12 Nov 1992196cm91kgGeelong FalconsForward
11 1Brown, Mitchell1323yr 8mth28 Aug 1990196cm92kgSandringham DragonsDefender
14 45Hamling, Joel021yr9 Apr 1993194cm82kgClaremontDefender
12 8Kolodjashnij, Jake018yr 8mth9 Aug 1995194cm86kgLauncestonDefender