Review 2014 VFL Grand Final - Footscray Bulldogs v Box Hill Hawks, 21 September 2014, 2.15pm @ Etihad Stadi

Remove this Banner Ad

Hallahan's game was massive. Really impressed. I think woody was a powerhouse early but faded a little. Grimley was instrumental in getting us to the GF with a great end to the season but was missing on the bigger stage.

I think the whole rioli thing was mishandled. It was a grand final. One less premiership which could easily have been locked away with the knowledge the team had a 4 qtr player in the shed.

So the dust settles.. and you get a look at the replay on iview.... And here's just a few dot points from Cashy.

1. The BHH boys were as brave as the day is long. Even right til the end of the last quarter. Off their feet, still just kept trying.

2. I feel for Bello as he was clearly a puppet to a higher power. That said, his 3 quarter time speech while motivational, wasn't educational. He got caught up in the moment rather than what it was going to take to win the game (discussing gamestyle, structure, execution). And asking Woody and Hallahan to lift? Come on, they were warriors. I'd have been looking Grimley, O'Brien, Lock in the eye and telling them to lift.

3. Gus. Massive last quarter. I love this bloke and his willingness to fight even on an empty tank will do wonders for his prospects in the senior 22 come start of 2015.

4. I still dont understand why the tag was removed from Goodes. Kel took the points in the first quarter without a shadow of a doubt, and had started okay in the second. The minute he's moved Goodes takes the ball from the centre and almost kicks a goal (it was touched on the line). Kel had a bad one - but I noted 3 things in the last - A willingness to switch and take a risk (only for Ross to kick into the man on the mark). Going back with the flight to set up Sicily to set up 16 who missed from straight in front. And a smother. Not unlike Hodge. Yet he'll probably get delisted.

5. I said during the game and I'll say it again - X defensive side at 3 centre bounces cost 3 straight goals. Cyril's off, Isles and Andrews are injured I know. But it happens once you change. Not after 3 times.

6. Brand. Lock him in. He's gonna be a solid defender at the least. Again simple stuff, spoils, handballs, clean hands below his knees. It's not flashy - good footy judges generally only pick up on it, but it's reliable. And that's big.

7. Woody and Hallahan. Just needed to be mentioned again. Hallahan's copped plenty this year on all boards... Momentum is huge. And momentum starts with just getting your hands on the ball. And that's what he does.

Peace - Cashman.

Box hill forum, and given your views that it is ok for Hawthorn Hawks to **** over the Box Hill team, why don't YOU **** off?

Mission accomplished!

Or maybe you would be happier with a Box Hill flag.

;)

If you think any thing that happened last week had an impact this week your miles off it !!

I think you'll find a number of posters who think otherwise.
The Hawks rolled the dice with cyril, obviously they know a lot more than we do

We won today.

I think you'll find a number of posters who think otherwise.
The Hawks rolled the dice with cyril, obviously they know a lot more than we do

We won today.
Lol ....other posters , well you must be right then :rolleyes:

Lol ....other posters , well you must be right then :rolleyes:

I don't know who you are.
I assume you are being serious.

Let me put it this way: Cyril needed some game time, got the game time, stepped up in the Grand Final.

Mission accomplished.

To me...... Mission accomplished - would be 2014 Box Hill Hawks flag and 2014 HFC Flag:)
Understand what your saying success at different levels still counts,but if you watched yesterdays GF and Rioli in particular the management of his playing time was correct.His game in the GF after not playing AFL for 3 months was nothing less than OUTSTANDING.The club placed the AFL Cup before the VFL Cup and this is the correct call.Sorry but they got this call,as they usually do, right.

Understand what your saying success at different levels still counts,but if you watched yesterdays GF and Rioli in particular the management of his playing time was correct.His game in the GF after not playing AFL for 3 months was nothing less than OUTSTANDING.The club placed the AFL Cup before the VFL Cup and this is the correct call.Sorry but they got this call,as they usually do, right.
I think they would of had the same success without playing Cyril in the VFL, and we would of had more of a chance to win both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they would of had the same success without playing Cyril in the VFL, and we would of had more of a chance to win both.
Don't agree 3 months out of Football and then to go straight into an AFL GF with no actual playing time.Highly unlikely and point is proven by the game Sizzle played.

We'll never know though. His stats weren't great, but he's intercepts, smothers and pressure acts impacted the game immensely
This and I think if you talked to say Breust perhaps even Poppy they would tell you that Sizzle helps their game with his pressure and it also means they end up with 5th or 6th ranked defender making it a bit easier for them to get off the leash.I noticed Breust has struggled in the second half of the season and I thought he had a very good GF.Having said all of that, I would have loved for the Club to salute in the VFL and AFL.I really hope we can see that happen in 2015 for when it comes to Hawthorn I get greedy. Always Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back